3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Green Bear Razorheads  (Read 330 times)

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
Green Bear Razorheads
« on: November 01, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »
Hey all,

I was visiting family last week and while talking to my Father-in-law I discovered he had some (9) old bear razorheads, mounted on screw-in adapters.  He no longer uses them and I was glad to take them off his hands.  I have never played with them before so I have some questions about them

1.  Is there anyway to mount them on wood shafts without cutting off so much of the taper?

2.  The bleeders seem to have a little "play" in them.  They aren't really loose, but can slip around a little bit in place.  Is that how they are designed?  Do you use a little glue to tack them in better?

3.  I mounted one on an arrow that flies good out of my bow with a Magnus I 135 gr. head.  When I shot it, the arrow kicked quite a bit.  It was only 1 arrow and I only shot it a couple of times but don't these heads normally have very good flight characteristics?

Thanks for your help

Nathan

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Green Bear Razorheads
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
I got some old razorheads that I put on my cedar shafts for this season. They fly good. I know what you mean about cutting off the taper though. I suppose you could slot the taper for the bleeder. I mounted mine with epoxy and kind of cleaned the epoxy out of the slot with a piece of thin metal while it set up. The bleeders don't seem to hold super duper tight at first, but when you pull them back towards the fat end, they sort of lock into place. If they won't, then your taper is still too long.

p.s. I haven't weighed the heads but I believe they are about 125gr. It shouldn't be that different. Which way are they kicking?
Got wood? - Tom

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
I have some of the old green Bear heads, both with and without screw-in adapters. Here are the weights:

w/adapter and no bleeder - 150 gr.

w/o adapter and no bleeder - 111 gr.

bleeder = 9 gr.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline C2@TheLibrary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
The ones I have weighed that were glue on were just over 100 grains. (101 - 104)
The Adapter installed ones were between 143 and 147.I wouldn't use them as glue ons myself; but if I was shooting a bow in the 40s I might.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©