3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String Tracker  (Read 352 times)

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
String Tracker
« on: April 11, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »
I just received my new drifter string tracker(Very Nice!). I made the mistake of not fully reading the description before ordering, so now I'm waiting for my spool of line which should be here soon. I was curious what you use if anything to plug the hole while going to your stand to keep the line from unspooling in case it gets snagged? I was going to use a cork, but I couldn't find any at the local stores.

Also, being new to string trackers, how much effect will it have on my arrow flight once I pull the required amount out to free the line and reduce the string drag? Any other tips and tricks are appreciated. Thanks!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Tracker
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
a piece of scotch tape will work great.  but anything you can find will work well.  Just be sure you pull whatever you plug it with first!  

That's one reason I like the tape.  IF you forget to pull it off, it just comes off.  If you plug it with something and forget, it may be come out as easily.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
No effect on the arrow that I've seen out to 20 yards
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 06:27:00 PM »
I use a cork that came in a bottle of scotch. It just happened to be the right size.

The only suggestion I can give is to check out Jerry Russell's YouTube video about string trackers and how to prep them.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
I tried mine at thirty yards and had about 10 extra inches of arrow drop. Really made short work of a BAD blood trail last year. The buck only went 100 yards but no blood for 75!

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 07:20:00 PM »
Not sure which model you bought but the  leather flap is all you need  for securing the string during travel.  Just wrap the string around the hinge portion of the leather flap about three times and it works great.  

To keep from ever forgetting to unwrap the string  make it a rule to never put the arrow on the string before you unwrap and secure the leather flap.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
I just leave the end of the string hanging out about 6" or so. I have never had the string hang up on anything doing it that way. I never attach the string to the arrow till I am in the stand or blind. I tried stalking javies with the string attached to the arrow, and trying to get thru the brush just does not work with the string on the arrow.

Bisch

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fattony77:
I use a cork that came in a bottle of scotch. It just happened to be the right size.

The only suggestion I can give is to check out Jerry Russell's YouTube video about string trackers and how to prep them.
Another reason to buy a bottle of scotch.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online 6feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
if you find a cork that is too large, just whittle it down to size.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
Got a pice of air line from the hardware store . Got one foot . It's also orange so it's easier to see if you drop it .
Cut about an inch long and I have more at home if I need .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
I just take the loose string and stick it under one of the bungee cords to secure it. Never had a problem.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©