3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Low anchor point help?  (Read 391 times)

Offline mikolay87

• Trad Bowhunter
Low anchor point help?
« on: April 11, 2017, 06:26:00 PM »
Lately I have been working hard on my form. I am in the middle of my clubs trad 300 league. I started averaging 150 and now I am up to 225 average.

My question is I found a new anchor point that is working pretty good for me. I shoot instinctively and my new anchor point is low compared to everything I have seen online and hear people talk about. I am anchoring with my index finger where my chin starts turning into my jaw about an inch below the corner of my mouth. I shoot split with a tab. Should I try to raise my anchor point higher on my face like I see everywhere else online and at my club.

Another problem is most of the guys at my club don't shoot trad exclusively or at all so I don't really have people to talk with about trad stuff most say I should shoot compound because it is easier.
All Lefties!!!
60” Big Jim’s Desert Bighorn 37@28
56" Toelke Lynx Recurve 50,46,54@27
60” Primal Tech Recurve 35@28
64" Toelke Lynx Longbow 38,47,51@27
64” Impala supreme 37@28

Re: Low anchor point help?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 07:49:00 PM »
I also have a low anchor on my chin. I tried to change to a more conventional anchor after being told by a very good coach that I should do so. I was struggling with trying to make it work. I was at the shop one day struggling, and a multiple time world champion archer who also shoots there asked me what was my problem. After I explained to her why I was trying to change, she told me to forget that and do what is most comfortable for me, and to find a way to make that work. I did, and the struggling went away (for the most part     :banghead: . I still struggle all the time, just not with my anchor point).

Bisch

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 12:05:00 AM »
Truly instinctive shooting matters not where the ancor point is .
Case and point , my dad may years ago had a bad sholder in his drawing arm .
He couldn't draw up to his cheek , so he started drawing with the bow horizontal and ancored at just above his belly button .
He could keep six arrows well inside a paper plate at twenty yards .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mikolay87

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 06:20:00 AM »
Ok, Thanks for the insight. I will not worry about anchoring low since it seems to be working and is more repeatable for me.
All Lefties!!!
64” Impala supreme 37@28

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:36:00 AM »
I will add this: The coach that advised me to change had a valid reason why I should change. His reasoning was that the lower jaw moves, and the upper jaw does not move. He said that if you anchor on the upper jaw, you are more likely to have a more consistent anchor. This makes very good sense. When I decided I was too old of a dog to try to learn new tricks, I devised a way to train myself to always have everything in the same position before I start my draw.

Bisch

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 08:25:00 PM »
look at this guys alignment--

Mike

Offline mikolay87

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 10:19:00 PM »
Yeah he anchors lower than me and probably shoots 10 times better too
All Lefties!!!
64” Impala supreme 37@28

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 11:08:00 PM »
I have always anchored on my lower jaw with my index finger on my eye tooth and my middle finger under my jaw bone. Done it this way forty four  years killed a lot of critters doing it. I also shoot with a vertical bow most of the time. Back when I shot indoor leagues at 20 yards (many years back)I shot a lot of 250's and 260's bare bow. I can't remember what my average was.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Medley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 06:11:00 AM »
I actually have the exact same anchor, well kinda.........

Right handed shooter: take your right hand, and make a C shape with it. Now tuck that right behind the back of the jaw bone. When I do that, my index finger just happens to land where you say yours is. I used to battle "creep" years ago, and this is what I started doing to correct it.

I eliiminated creep, tremendously improved my accuracy, feel like I'm lined up even better, and it increased my draw length 3/4 of an inch.

Rock solid anchor, followed by expansion

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
It's all about consistency! It doesn't matter where you anchor but you have to be consistent about it.
I have a friend that anchors to the middle of his chest and he was a very good shot. Funny looking but a good shot none the less.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »
Many of those low anchor guys of old like Art Young above were point of aim shooters which was popular in that era. It seems to have been eclipsed these days with gap shooting.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
If your objective is to own an elite indoor score, then you will likely find yourself transitioning  to a much higher anchor and three under.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©