3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Take down bow?  (Read 407 times)

Offline B.Barker

• Trad Bowhunter
Take down bow?
« on: April 11, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
Need some help with a bow. I'm thinking of getting my daughter a bow. I'm thinking of getting a take down since the poundage can be changed with new limbs. I don't want to go too expensive though just in case she doesn't like traditional archery. It needs to be left handed also. So what do you guys recommend for a good entry level t/d bow?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Take down bow?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »
Samick Sage is a pretty good, relatively inexpensive entry level bow. Riser is on the large size with a full grip.  May be too big for her if she's younger than 12 or so.  Could also post a bow wanted ad on the classifieds here.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
What Orion said^^^^^! The Sage is under $150 brand new, and replacement limbs are only about $75.

Bisch

Offline B.Barker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »
She's 24 so don't need a kid's bow. Should have mentioned that, sorry. I'll check out the Samicks.

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
Go to the Lancaster Archery site, and look at their take-down recurves.  They have a pretty wide range of starter-level bows, and several models made by Samick.  They also have replacement limbs of varying poundages (light), for when your child grows and progresses, and no need to adjust to different grips, weights, etc.   I went that route with my youngest son.  It helped him develop his form and strength, and was the most economical way I could find.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
Samick sage. They are good shooters and reasonably priced

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
Oops!  Slow to post, 24 is a little different story - but not really!  Same site, same good points - different bows!

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »
Like the others said. Samick sages are great bows that won't break the bank.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 11:15:00 PM »
Mike at Mad Dog Archery, he's a sponsor here, and does a great job.  He makes take down bows, and at very affordable prices.  I'd choose a Mad Dog over a Samick Sage, personally.  I have had four different Mad Dog bows, and one of them was a take down I had him make for my wife, for her first bow.  It was a nice little custom for her.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
Samick Journey if she would prefer 64" bow.
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
Look at the Great Tree bows as well.  They make some very pretty bows, nice wood risers, at very reasonable prices.  The finish may not be as nice as custom bows, but they shoot just fine.

I use the Mohegan model for teaching kids and own a Highlander with two sets of limbs.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »
I am prejudiced, but I would consider a used bow, or actually a series of used bows. My now-21 daughter wanted to start shooting with me three years ago, so I set out to find her a bow she 1) could shoot 2) liked to shoot and 3) would hold its value if she didn't like it and/or lost interest. We poured over the classifieds, etc., told her about the design intent and history of different bows and I made it okay for her to say she didn't like the looks of a bow that I suggested, and when she shot a bow, to say she wasn't comfortable  with  grip, the length, the weight, etc. Over more than 2 years, she went through a 1966 Golden Sovereign Duke, a 1971 Damon Howatt Ventura, a 1968 Bear Kodiak Hunter, a 1963 Herters International Match Olympian, a 1962 Wing Swift Wing and recently "traded up" up to a rare 1963 Browning Diana.  I spent less than a Samick Sage would cost, far less by the time you start buying new limbs, and got her a series of top quality vintage bows that were each different in design, weight, length, looks, etc., never lost money on resale or trade, and now she has a gorgeous Brazilian rosewood/zebrawood bow with ice blue fiberglass limbs that is just like.. nobody else's bow. Young women like that.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
I shoot a Samick & have limbs ranging from 30-50#.  My wife has a PSE Heritage so she could get 20# limbs (samick only goes to 25#) but my son mostly shoots that one now.

Take down models are great -- both for the ability to change out limbs and for travel.  One year, we took a family trip to San Diego over Xmas break.  Balboa Park has a fun archery range.  All 4 bows, limbs, strings, armguards, etc. fit into a medium suitcase with lots of clothing.  I took my 30# limbs and we shipped some new kid arrows a few days in advance to where we were staying.  Long story short, we had a great time playing around as a family & I am very impressed how well everything just fit together inside a suitcase.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 04:02:00 PM »
Depending on her age and size of her hand, a bow that fits an adult may be too large for her.  There are some really nice youth sized bows out there--Big Jim carries some I know.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
Samick Sage....
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »