3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning issue  (Read 690 times)

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning issue
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:46:00 PM »
So my buddy got a new Bear Cheyenne and we went to start tuning today. We shoot woodies and knew he would be very close to my arrows. Well, we were right and he was grouping with his fletched arrows and also getting a pretty straight bare shaft flight. However, he had a severe nock high impact no matter what we did. And I know about the nockpoint being too low and kicking off the shelf, so yes, we tried even raising it. No matter what, aggressive nock high. Any thoughts?
Mark C.

Javaman Elkheart, Bear Super Kodiak
BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
Oregon State BS Fisheries & Wildlife
Society for Conservation Biology  
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning issue
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 10:55:00 PM »
Does he have 2 nock points? Upper and lower. Might give it a try.

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
would that be a form issue? He shoots split but I shoot 3 under. I shot his bow and same result. I grabbed the same arrow and shot my bow and it flew like a dart.
Mark C.

BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 11:22:00 PM »
Shoot that arrow out of his bow.  It might be a form question.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Recurve Addict:
would that be a form issue? He shoots split but I shoot 3 under. I shot his bow and same result. I grabbed the same arrow and shot my bow and it flew like a dart.
As I understand it, you have shot both bows with the same bare shaft, and have gotten nock high on his bow and not yours.  Has he also shot both bows with the same result?  I also think I understand from your first post that the bare shaft doesn't have any significant nock right or left, indicating the spine is at least in the ballpark?  Although if the nock high is really extreme, that might not mean much.  Would you say it's more than 15*?

It could be a tillering issue.  I have an otherwise high quality bow that had nock high I couldn't control, and solved the problem by reversing the top and bottom limbs.  At the time, I thought that was a novel solution, but I've since read of several other people doing that.  However, that evidently isn't a possibility on your friend's bow.  It is listed as two piece, although in pictures it appears to be one piece.  How does the bow come apart?

if it's brand new and still can be returned, I would consider returning it, once you eliminate form errors for sure.  If it can't be returned, and you can get the nock high below 15*, I would say just live with it and let the feathers correct it.  More than 15*, I would look for some qualified bowyer who can check the tiller and correct it, if possible.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 05:18:00 PM »
I had this issue and couldn't fix it untill I recorded myself in slow motion. I noticed just as I release I moved the bow up just a little. You could actually see the arrow  barely having clearance. So raising the nock will not always fix it. Just my opinion

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
If all else fails try raising your brace height a bit. I had the same problem, couldn't fix it and a bowyer told me to adjust the brace height up. Problem solved.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 10:55:00 PM »
As I stated, it cannot be form alone because I shot the bow and my bow with the same arrow. Dead nuts perfect with mine, extreme nock high on his. We will certainly be playing with the brace height. Thanks for the suggestions so far!
Mark C.

BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 08:07:00 AM »
Sounds like your forms are perfect so it must be a tiller issue.

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 10:02:00 AM »
My first thought when the nock high was not responding to moving the string nocks that it might be a tiller issue. I hope the brace height corrects it, but this is a very severe nock high. Likely upwards of 30*! It is a one piece bow so it would need to be returned to Bear. I shoot a Bear Super Kodiak, and I have it tuned great. It seems unlikely that I have the same brand and relative style recurve tuned, and am somehow having the same extreme form issue my friend is with his bow, right?
Are tiller and brace height the only plausible fixes?
Mark C.

BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Offline Floxter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
I have had rare instances where an extreme nock high problem with no left/right problem was indicative of a spine problem; don't know why. I would try a different spined arrow.
Jack

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
I wouldn't compare your super kodiak to his Cheyenne as far as tuning. Even if they were both the same bow made on the same day results will vary. I think it's a form issue. I doubt Bear made a bow that was that far off tiller.

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
I am not comparing the SK to the Cheyenne. I am comparing the fact that I can shoot and tune the SK but when I shoot his Cheyenne I get the same 30 degree nock high he does. I shoot 3 under to his split. It isnt one guys form. Unless I spontaneously end up with the same form issue he does, only when I shoot his bow, the problem has to be the bow.
Mark C.

BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »
So If you shoot ihis bow nock high it can't possibly be form because  your super kodiak shoots well?  That makes no sense to me but I hope you figure it out .

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
you think its more likely that for some reason that even though neither of us has issues with other bows...we are both having a form issue causing a 30 degree nock high? Rather than something is wrong with either the tune or tiller of the bow itself? I am trying to follow your logic because it is baffling to me. What would be the form issue that causes perfect horizontal nock travel but extreme nock high, and only on certain bows. I use the Super Kodiak as reference because they are both hard rock maple/futurewood 2 piece riser recurves with the same string from the same manufacturer. I don't understand what could be wrong with the bow, or us I guess.
Mark C.

BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
I had a bow once where nock high was uncorrectable when shooting from the shelf, and was able to correct it by putting an arrow rest about a half inch above the shelf. I just did that as an experiment, because I had no desire to shoot from an arrow rest, but t least it demonstrated to me what the problem was.

No one could ever be happy with a bow with a 30* nock high.  My experience is that I can generally get a bow shooting the way I want it in less than a half hour.  If I can't, I'll spend days and weeks worrying about it, and wake up in the middle of the night with another new idea that doesn't work any better than the last idea I had.  Life's too short.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Mark Colangelo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »
Interesting Dave! So did you continue to use the bow? Do you think it was tiller or some other unknown defect? It is my friends bow and it is still driving me nuts!
Mark C.

BHA NWTF DU RMEF TRCP
TSgt, USAF Active Duty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©