3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bleeder blades in or out?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Meflyfisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
Bleeder blades in or out?
« on: April 14, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
Okay folks, good question for a newbi to trad gear.  In 30+ years of wheel bows, the only cut on contact heads I used were 100gr steel force sabertooths which performed unbelievably well.  My first year hunting with trad gear, Im going to use 150gr magnus stingers which I think come in four blade only.  Im using a traditional quiver my dad just built for me and we put little "cups" in the bottome to try to keep the broadheads from contacting each other.  I imagine the bleeder blades would catch on the insides of the other main blades so we tried to mitigate that.  Should I just keep the bleeder blade out?  Bowhunting has a way of turning the best of us neurotic so that side of me says....keep the blades...it could be the one that nicks the right spot on a marginal shot.  I know practice makes perfect but I like to stack the cards in my favor. haha.   :biglaugh:
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bleeder blades in or out?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 10:00:00 AM »
Been lots of animals taken with two blade broadheads .
Keep it simple .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 10:12:00 AM »
2 blades are the best. For me anyway

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
I shot two blade, three blade and 4 blade heads. I now shoot the biggest broadhead I can. My reasoning is this. I use to shoot a two blade thinking if I hit the shoulder I might get enough penetration to still get the deer.

After a bunch of shoulder hits and no penetration I decided to switch to a big four blade and move my shots a little bit away from the shoulder and the results have been great.

I also figured if I hit too far back the bigger broadhead would help get blood on the ground with a gut shot.

Well I made a bad shot on a hog a few years ago with a Palmer extreme cut broadhead. With that big broadhead the blood trail was easy to follow even on a gut shot.

I do keep a grizzly two blade in my quiver in case a big boar comes by.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
I don't think the bleeders help much and only hinder in you hit something hard.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 01:29:00 PM »
I shoot the Stinger 150s with the bleeders in. They have never slowed down going through anything including big hogs and Elk. More cutting surface the better.

I DON'T like the Stinger 150 2 blade broadheads. The ferrule is large and blunt which to me, looks like it would hinder penetration.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Meflyfisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
all excellent input, thanks.  Ill look closely at the ferrule snow that you mention it.
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 05:07:00 PM »
I sometimes use Herters four blade heads. They are a bit of a pain coming out of a back quiver sometimes, but when hunting in switch grass they may give a more immediate blood trail than a long skinny Hunter's head.  However, my last two deer were both shot with the long and skinny 3 to 1 heads and the blood trail was not an issue.  I am not sure the cups are needed, but a four blade head can scar up the inside of a quiver more. Use what you have confidence in wither way.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
Two blade heads come out of a back quiver WAY easier than four blades.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
As far as the Stinger head, there are 150 grain 2 blades (we stock them) so if you decide two blade I would go with those.  The 4 blade Stinger is not designed to be used without the bleeders, if you want a 2 blade get the 2 blade.  But I would find a way to make the 4 blades you have work personally, but with the bleeders in as intended.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
Leave the bleeders in and go worry about something else. They can only help.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Doc Pain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 06:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Exactly!
If it isn't life or death, it's no big deal.

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 07:00:00 PM »
My son shot a buck with 4 blade stingers this year. He only went about 60 yards!
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
X3

The only animal I take the bleeders out of my Eclipse broadheads for are a moose or bison.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
Opp's, double post.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Walt Francis:

X3

The only animal I take the bleeders out of my Eclipse broadheads for are a moose or bison. [/b]
As other have mentioned there is nothing wrong with a good two blade but when it comes to stingers those tiny bleeders really don't inhibit penetration in my experience and they almost always make a big difference in blood trial.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 09:55:00 PM »
...I've always had great penetration with two blades but I have had way too many white knuckle tracking jobs on a fairly consistent basis and good hits. A single bevel is a bit better when they work right and open a s hole but not always

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 10:39:00 PM »
Me too . . .  done it a variety of ways.  I leave the bleeders in. I have killed them without, but I sure like a "hole" instead of a "slit."

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 07:16:00 AM »
I've killed animals with a variety of setups and what I've found (is that) when I put the broadhead in the proper spot, the animal goes down and usually with a good blood trail.  I wouldn't worry about the bleeders for or against.  Just shoot something that you can be consistent with and go hunt.  Sharp broadhead into vitals equals food on the table.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Meflyfisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 09:00:00 AM »
Cant argue about a well placed shot, thats for sure.  Here is the double barrel quiver Dad is stitching up for me.  I can keep small game arrows on one side for the partridges that invariably walk be me:) He integrated a sheath on the side of the storage pouch for the knife he made out of a file in the 70's. Gotta sew the strap on and she is ready to hunt.  (WELL I WROTE THIS NOW I HAVE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO UPLOAD THE PICTURE. HAHA)
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©