3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: compressed straw bale  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Arrowcraft

• Trad Bowhunter
compressed straw bale
« on: April 14, 2017, 07:24:00 PM »
I had read somewhere that a person had purchased compressed straw bales for bare bale form practice. purchased 4 of them but when you stack then together there is a void in the middle ?
  Besides a bale bander any ideas !

-------Black Wolf 68"57#@28"------
    -------Tall Tines 60"52#@28"------
    -------Tall Tines 60"45#@28"------

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: compressed straw bale
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »
Put the bales on a pallet. Put two ratchet straps around the bales and between the pallet boards. Cinch it down tight! No void and bales are even more compressed. Two straps work better than one. Space them so they are about right over the bale strings.
Get bamboo.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
Yes ratchet strap. or cable come-alongs if your want to really go nuts.
I did use 4 bales in the past and had to swap positions a few times to find the best fit before cranking them down.
We don't have the best terrain behind the target and sometimes shoot too far away or have occasional wild shots  a big backstop is nice. In lieu of the 4 bales I used a horse stall mat behind 2 bales.
My daughter was home from college and shot a few rounds with Dad. She is un practiced so the big backstop made it possible for her to fire away with no worries. There is nothing but woods behind my target but it is a black hole where arrows never return from.    

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 09:00:00 AM »
I like this idea. Going to head to Tractor supply today to get one.thanks for sharing this idea

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »
With all the publicity those bales are getting on different forums, Tractor Supply will run out of inventory quick.  You guys have to stop this advertising or we won't be able to get any of those and the poor cows will starve as well.    :readit:       :nono:        :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
I've found that placing a board on top of the straw and under each strap helps make it easier to get the strap tighter.

If you get stall matts, be sure to get the thicker mats-there are 2 thicknesses, the thinner ones don't work as well.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
This looks interesting, I'd like to see more pictures of how you guys have set these up.  I have a perfect spot with a dirt berm where this would work.  Curious how you arrange 4 bales and compress them.  Do those of that use this have much trouble with critters getting into the bales and chewing them up?  I'm pretty much surrounded by woods, just curious if there's any problem with squirrels or chipmunks getting into the bales.  Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline kleine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »
Well I went to tractor supply today, pick up three bales and framed up a little house for it also picked up a stall mat for the back. Now just need to close it up and make a door for the front and put a steel roof on. I'm kind of tired of old bales sitting in the yard, this ought a be a little nicer looking.
I had all the materials laying around so cost was 67.00, can't beat that for a target.
Striker Fastback 58" 50#@28"
Bear T/D - A 56" 47#@28"
Holm-Made Shrike 64" 49#@28”
Holm-Made River Runner Static 58” 48#@28”
BW PL III 47#@28" 64"
BW PCH CARBON 45#@28" 58"

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »
X2 David but the secret is out.

Great job there Tedd    :thumbsup:

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 07:50:00 PM »
Nice job Tedd, keeping them covered they should last a long time. That is some "arrow losing ground" behind the butt.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
Find a horse barn near you. Ask for their moldy bales. They won't feed them to horses and need them gone to keep mold from spreading. Ratchet them the same way. Keep'em dry. Fescue is best. Stay away from alfalfa bales.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »
[/url] [/IMG] The hay bales from TS are awesome.
Winners make commitments ,Loser make excuses

Offline kleine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 07:33:00 PM »
I got mine finished today!

Bear T/D - A 56" 47#@28"
BW PL III 47#@28" 64"

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
About a 500-1000 shots later and zero wear and tear.
Actually I think it is stopping arrows better now?
I've only shot at the top bale. The chunk of straw pulled out of the lower bale is from testing a tree shark. I was shooting it  into an old block target in front. I was tired and missed badly, driving the tree shark into the straw. There is no easy way to get that out!
My frame is solid, I put the posts about 18" into the ground using. That probably wasn't necessary.
Some pine trees or mountain laurel on each side would be nice. And a battery powered LED light mounted inside above the bales might make a before work shot possible. I might put a small plastic tool box on the back with a bow square and ruler for checking brace and nock without having to walk to the garage.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 08:15:00 PM »
The straw on the ground is from an old bale that I put on top of some grass seed that will probably never grow. Once the leaves are on the trees there isn't enough sun. The path is a few bags of landscape stones from Home Depot.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 08:32:00 PM »
Nice one Kleine!  Feels kinda weird to buy urban, mini van friendly shrink wrapped straw bales doesn't it? A real man should be using regular bales. But these work so much better!

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
Flyguy what is yours wrapped in?

Offline kleine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tedd:
Nice one Kleine!  Feels kinda weird to buy urban, mini van friendly shrink wrapped straw bales doesn't it? A real man should be using regular bales. But these work so much better!
Yep been shooting regular straw bales for years, usually draped a couple layers of carpet over them to help stop the arrows, these compressed bales work much better.
Cost four times as much as regular bales but bet they last four times longer if kept out of the weather.
Bear T/D - A 56" 47#@28"
BW PL III 47#@28" 64"

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
Nice job there Kleine!!

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »
I use three regular straw bales stacked on top of each other, with the bales laying on their side (so the straw is parrallel with the arrow, then use a comealong in the center.  Works great.  About every other year I buy a new bale and rotate out the bottom bale.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©