3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 1081 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Realistic Expectations
« on: April 20, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »
Are other archers generally happy with, and while, they shoot?  As of lately, I am not.  Arrows that find their mark don't seem to bring the satisfaction they once did because they were propelled by a fluid motion that is fast and largely unstoppable.

I'm getting a tad frustrated and the fun of shooting my recurve is turning to a chore-like I need more work to do in my yard.   :banghead:    I don't believe I can stop snap shooting for anything, but I am looking for a way to get the fun back into this.  I don't always shoot the worst, but I never control my shot as well as I would like.  

A wheeled contraption even was drug out of an 8 year storage bid and shooting it was more fun.  Any suggestions for a wayward Tradganger?     :campfire:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »
No advice, but after an injury last summer, I am going thru some of the same, and don't like it at all!!!!!

Bisch

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 11:40:00 PM »
PM KSdan and ask him about the book he was reading about controlling the shot. I don't remember the name. It dealt with target panic, etc.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Medley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:03:00 AM »
Draw, don't shoot, let down

Repeat, repeat, repeat..................

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 08:00:00 AM »
I would suggest taking Joel Turner's online course or in person instruction. I haven't heard a single bad word about his instruction, only praise. Or maybe take a Rick Welch class. He also promoted holding at full draw (two seconds, I believe). These are not cheap fixes, but I really think either will help you control your shot process.

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 08:10:00 AM »
Try shooting some different targets. Swinging tennis balls on a rope are lots of fun. Try and shoot out a candle, etc. It's fun.

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 08:11:00 AM »
I would consider dropping way down in draw weight so you can focus solely on form.  I agree with the Rick Welch suggestion.  It is a fun experience and you would leave with a lot of confidence.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 08:18:00 AM »
You know, Brent, I've been where you are many times. In fact, I almost quit shooting trad several times out of frustration. Being unable to consistently hit your target, or working through form issues, can be so frustrating. Once you find a way to improve the issues which are causing you to lose the joy of shooting, your outlook will improve. I takes a lot of work. One fun thing to do might be to shoot some 3-d's with friends, but don't keep score. Just have fun and wherever the arrows fly, so be it.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »
Without my clicker I do the same thing. Try one.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
Shooting blind will cure that .
It's done by standing close , less than 10 yards .
You concentrate on the spot you want to hit , close your eyes , bring your bow up , draw and hold for a three count . Now just let the string slip off your fingers .
This way of shooting takes the visual part of your shot sequence out so your brain isn't triggered by what you see .
If you miss completely , no big deal , just change your stance , left or right , which ever way you need to go .
You will be amazed at how this can adjust your form and it starts being fun .
Also , it's very neat when you start connecting .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 09:19:00 AM »
On several occasions I have taken a break due to frustration. I have been lucky in that improper snap shooting has never been a long term issue. I overcame a mild tendency by reaching anchor and counting out loud to two before letting go. That's all it took to fix the snap draw problem, but I did get some funny looks from other archers. My real frustration, though, is my tendency to pluck the string. Still working on that one.

Relax and maybe go fishing for a while. The urge to shoot the bow will return on its own schedule. Good luck.
Sam

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 09:37:00 AM »
My joy comes from a properly executed shot (mostly follow-through) with the target strike 2nd.  The last thing on my mind, when I'm right-minded, is allowing both hands to follow through.

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »
Friend of mine wanted to get into bowhunting for deer and give up the shotgun deer chasing. I gave him a Hill an old shooting glove and some arrows, he bought a used back quiver.  He does not have internet, his only teacher was watching Hill and Schulz on vcr tapes that I borrowed him. That one second fluid tempo that Hill shoots with, is how he shoots, so do I most of the time.  Some would call it TP, some would call it snap shooting.  When he was accused of snap shooting by a local genius and was challenged to aim for four seconds, he simply said, "I ain't ever gonna shoot a deer like that, stuff like that will mess up my form."  He pays me for arrows now, he is the only person I know that only has blunts and broadheads, he has no use for target points.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 01:22:00 PM »
I was where you were too. I just couldn't snap shoot consistently. Hats off to the people that can.

I just slowed down everything I did and now I'm always in the top two in my clubs archery 3D shoots. It did take me a long time and my form is no way near perfect but I keep striving to get better and better form. I really envy the guys on here that have such great form.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
Holding for a second or two at full draw is a good compromise to short-drawing, snap shooting (instantly releasing at full draw), or holding-holding-holding until the cows-cows-cows come home.  The latter is particularly troublesome because it can promote shoulder, neck and joint problems later (like after you aren't young), especially with anything other than a light target bow.  

Everything in moderation.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
Go get a soccer ball and some tennis balls and have fun roving with them on the ground in your back yard. Forget shooting a target for a while.

I'd slow down and make shooting more enjoyable for you by trying swinging targets and moving targets.

If I get frustrated shooting targets (like paper) I'll just grab some soccer balls and shoot them moving around all around the yard without stressing out about misses because a soccer ball and tennis ball are already pretty small targets so you should nto get stressed if you miss them.

Regarding snap shooting, I would not give it up. I switched from a holding at full draw style (which did not work that well for me) to what I like to call "fluid shooting" which just means I do not hold at full draw and my accuracy, comfort while shooting, and the amount of fun I have while shooting has gone up.

Holding bows that weight 40#+ at full draw for even a second or two is no fun especially on your joints. Releasing through anchor is much much easier on your body and much more fun than having to fight the weight of the bow.

This point will be highly controversial but do you GAP, shoot point of aim, or shoot instinctive? In my opinion if you shoot instinctive there is no point in holding at full draw.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
X2 on the clicker.

X2 on Joel Turner.

If that doesn't work, just pick up a rifle for a while.  Different body mechanics.  Same psychology.  Still fun.  Fun is the point, right?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 04:30:00 PM »
Don't think, just shoot.  I know that's easier said than done.  If I feel like I'm starting to get in a "funk" I try to do something fun with shooting, and try to forget about hitting my "spot" on the target.  I have used balloons either taped to targets or hung from tree branches to shoot at. I also made a small little target course on my little 3 acres.  I used old tarps that had holes in them and stuffed them into feed bags for targets, and ended up with 6 targets to shoot at, and challenged my two daughters to a contest....we wont talk about the results of this!!!!    :biglaugh:  In past years before my best buddy moved to a different state, we would get a group of guys together at his place and have shooting contests at foam disks thrown into the air, using flu flu's...we ended up shooting at a chew can wrapped with black electricians tape.  His place also had the perfect sand bank we could set a target up in and shoot from long range, (60-80yards), just to see who could come closest to the target.  Sometimes one of us would actually hit it!!! All this being said, I think anything you can do to mix up your shooting and make it fun again, will help.  Good luck, and don't give up.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline 6feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »
I feel your pain.  I struggled for the last year with trying to control my shot.  I have made a lot of progress and have it pretty much under control now.  I am working on gettiny  the shot sequence ingrained.  I shoot only 1 arrow at a time working on the mechanics of the shot.  I am now ready to go back to shooting at a spot I have been shooting recurves and longbows since the early 1960's.  I am striving to get back into shooting as well as I did before my problem developed a year ago.  Get back to enjoying the shot.

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by BWallace10327:
Are other archers generally happy with, and while, they shoot?  As of lately, I am not.  Arrows that find their mark don't seem to bring the satisfaction they once did because they were propelled by a fluid motion that is fast and largely unstoppable.

I'm getting a tad frustrated and the fun of shooting my recurve is turning to a chore-like I need more work to do in my yard.        :banghead:         I don't believe I can stop snap shooting for anything, but I am looking for a way to get the fun back into this.  I don't always shoot the worst, but I never control my shot as well as I would like.  "Aim small, shoot tight" will make more sense than you think.

A wheeled contraption even was drug out of an 8 year storage bid and shooting it was more fun.  Any suggestions for a wayward Tradganger?          :campfire:      
If you linger for fun and have more than 1 bow, shoot each time a different bow. If they are different poundages even better. And get rid of big target bags, go for smallest possible. I bought the smallest yellow jacket on the market (12" height and 8" wide) - it is for crossbow but works for recurves too. At 10m is easy but at 20m becomes challenging just to hit it. "Aim small, miss small" will start to make sense, and a small target close to the killing zone size will bring the fun again. The moment you shoot for the target itself, you will miss it. The moment you try to hit the bee, you will hit it - don't ask me how I know it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©