3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 1082 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
As someone struggling myself I find that to get the "fun" back, or keep it, I can't be shooting at bales or 3d targets all the time.  

I need to go roving and do "stupid shots".  My patented stupid shots are just that, too far, too tough, too stupid ( but safe.. that is important), but I'm gonna try it anyway.  You'd be surprised how often you get " dead deer" close to that target after doing this a while.  Although I love to actually hit the target, I consider a "dead deer" close arrow as a success.

I'm not gonna tell you how to shoot... you know how.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
Every pointer in this thread has found its mark and is well received.

I've spend some time inventorying what is fun about this traditional archery business and what exactly causes me distress when I shoot.  It is easy to accuse people of over-thinking shooting, but those that say that are not me; I am the analytical type and can't hardly help it.  Likewise, I shoot quickly, snap shoot if you will and can't hardly help that either.  My expectations are unrealistic, as I can't jump horses at, lets say 35 yards and become a gap shooter.  Attempting to shoot differently causes distress and it would be best to avoid that all together. I snap shoot and that is the way it is and getting bent out of shape about that is analogous to being upset for not being 6" taller.  

As for the fun and where did it go?  Well, there was a pile of it on my string making jig and an unopened tube of it next to my tube of fletchtite platinum in my arrow making drawer.  In fact, fan was scattered all over the place, although it was not on the X ring of a vegas face.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
Draven, I don't know, can't speak for the OP. Maybe he does just want a new toy?

I've gone through a spell where my shooting was uncontrolled. It's the worst feeling and I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Got through it though, as have others. If these changes (which are all a lot cheaper than a new bow) have worked for us, and can help bring that fun back for him, why dismiss them? Mr. Joel Turner has been busy for a reason.

I don't see why we have to all shoot the same way, either. Some snap, some hold, some do both. As long as you're happy with your shooting who cares?

As MGF said, it really didn't sound like BWallace was just looking for a new bow. It's normal, some of us are just wired differently.

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2017, 10:12:00 AM »
Whoops, posted at the same time, BWallace.

Glad you're having fun with it. If you're trying something different, check out Joel's stuff. He's a good guy who just wants to help.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
I don't want a new bow that's something more to learn about.  New targets don't hurt though.

***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
Great shooting Brent!

And I to took your post as some venting on controlled shooting or lack there of.

I'm there with you.  Somedays a backyard Champion, and when around others and game can't hit the broad side of a barn much less get to full draw and hold for the shot picture to settle in.

Frustrating to say the least, but don't give in their is help.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Graps:
Shooting blind will cure that .
It's done by standing close , less than 10 yards .
You concentrate on the spot you want to hit , close your eyes , bring your bow up , draw and hold for a three count . Now just let the string slip off your fingers .
This way of shooting takes the visual part of your shot sequence out so your brain isn't triggered by what you see .
If you miss completely , no big deal , just change your stance , left or right , which ever way you need to go .
You will be amazed at how this can adjust your form and it starts being fun .
Also , it's very neat when you start connecting .
I like graps idea. I had planned to start doing this today as I find myself not letting the string slip from my fingers. It's a forced release and it shows at the target.
When I just relax my the lower finger I am very accurate.....and the bow pulls the string out my hand
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »
Nice shooting Brent!!!  I hope by adding new those new targets it has helped bring the fun back into shooting for you.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
I bought a Clickety Clicker to solve my target panic/snap shooting problem. (Do not read as "Snap shooting is bad.") I snap shoot and short draw due to target panic, therefore it is bad for me.

I don't release the arrow until the clicker tells me to do so. It won't click until I pull and push through my anchor point.

I did this to align to Joel Turner's philosophy of having an external cue to shoot. I went from releasing the shot uncontrollably to having complete control immediately.

Whether or not you try it, good luck sir!

Not having control of my shot took all the fun out of it. I got to the point where I was seriously considering going to compounds despite my unfailing appreciation for traditional archery.

I hope you get it all worked out.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2017, 12:43:00 AM »
Try a clicker
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
This sus up what's going on for me. I always wanted to get an A&h longbow,  so I whent oit and got one. On odd days I shoot decent and even days not....or is it the other way around...lol
I've been trying yo hold at full draw also, think I'll go back to my old way. I hit anchor and release.  Not very fun when you don't know if it's a odd or even day

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
I suppose that is the question stemming from what realistic expectations are. I too have those odd/even days and have come to the conclusion that X number of years shooting Y number of arrows from a traditional bow doesn't equate to a given degree of accuracy or consistency.  Some people have the nack for it, they are either very coordinated or very disciplined in their shooting and it comes quickly.  

In my instance, and I know that I'm not alone, I am persistent and dense and like to watch an arrow fly.  With that being the case, I may not be much, if any better of a shot in another 10 years than I am now but I'll have kept sight of what really draws me to traditional archery.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2017, 01:44:00 AM »
Every so often I need to break down my shot into specific segments, stance initial draw, on target or secondary coming off  the crown, smooth in the straight draw final inches, solid repeatable anchor, tighten up, release, steady follow through.  Like a local cop trad shooter says, "If it was easy, you wouldn't be doing it."  I guess I am addicted to challenges.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©