3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Torn menisces and acl  (Read 585 times)

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
Torn menisces and acl
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:00:00 AM »
Anybody have experience coming back from this surgery  ? Mine was yesterday, wondering what to expect and how long before I can get back at normal activities  ?
   Gary

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Torn menisces and acl
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »
Yep I've had 7 knee surgeries over the years.  It is all about the ACL and how bad it was.  If it took replacement you are looking at a minimum of 6 months and probably a year before you'll feel whole  again.

If it was a scope it is more like 4-6 weeks and your going strong.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »
That stinks. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Where are you from in Wisconsin?
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:36:00 PM »
Listen to what your Doc tells you. If you have not then ask him.
shoot straight shoot often

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
My son had complete ACL tears twice when playing football in college. He came back strong from both of them -- and in one case was playing football at full strength by the beginning of the following season. What it takes is the patience to follow the rehab protocols to the letter and the courage to face some pretty painful physical work during the recovery period.

Be patient, follow the directions, and do the exercises exactly as prescribed. You will be fine if you can do that.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 05:34:00 PM »
Yep. Had meniscus repair and a meniscus graft a few years ago.
The repair took around 6-8 weeks if i remember.
The graft took more like 6 months. They basically chopped off the top of my shin bone to graft in a new piece with the meniscus still attached. Had to wait for a match from a organ donation about another 3 months. Not a cool experience. That was 7 years ago and it's doing great (knock on wood)!
60% of the time,  it works every time

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
I've had both ACLs replaced.  One had torn meniscus with it.  You'll be able to hunt next Fall but will have to be careful.  In 8 months to a year you should be able to do everything you did before.

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
I have had ACL tear in one knee and and meniscus tear in the other.  A lot depends on your age.  Younger folks heal faster.  I was able  to do most of what I wanted by 9 months for the ACL rehab, but not really 100% for about a year. Meniscus was only a couple of months. Some 20 year olds (not me) can be very active in 6 - 7 months. Get yourself an ice machine.  Worth the $130 or so investment.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
I had a complete lateral tear of my right meniscus in July 2015 first thing on the first morning of a MT. fly fishing trip. I suspected what I had done but it never hurt a lot. I gimped through the week of fishing and my wife came up for a week more at Glacier. I got the surgery 3 weeks later and was back at work after one day but the knee was sore as in really tender and sore. It's doubtless because I'm 71 but it took a lot longer to come around than I expected. I pushed too fast initially and ended up going back for a second round of physical therapy. It took just about a year to get where it is now with no issues but again I'm old and pushed too hard initially.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 09:46:00 PM »
I had a complete lateral tear of my right meniscus in July 2015 first thing on the first morning of a MT. fly fishing trip. I suspected what I had done but it never hurt a lot. I gimped through the week of fishing and my wife came up for a week more at Glacier. I got the surgery 3 weeks later and was back at work after one day but the knee was sore as in really tender and sore. It's doubtless because I'm 71 but it took a lot longer to come around than I expected. I pushed too fast initially and ended up going back for a second round of physical therapy. It took just about a year to get where it is now with no issues but again I'm old and pushed too hard initially.

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 11:19:00 PM »
Well, I had my surgery.  I would say keep this one off your bucket list...lol I  having lots of pain, rivals one of my shoulder surgeries. I hope it don't take a yesr, I have lots of chasing to do this fall !

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 07:36:00 AM »
Do your PT.. Once I was cleared by my Dr. I started walking and paddling in the pool. Helped speed up my recovery IMO... Good luck to you sir!

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
Ive had both of mine scoped. right one I was 26 and snapped my acl in half and tore my meniscus. Scoped it and told me if I ever hurt it again Id have to have it replaced. I was back going in a month. I was younger and in better shape then tho. Now Im not so sure. I dont have much trouble with the right anymore but the arthritis in my left gives me fits a good bit. Ive lost 30# recently and that has helped.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »
valleysniper-As long as you follow your doctor's orders and do the physical therapy, I believe you will be fine. PT will not be fun, but it is most definitely a crucial part of your recovery. Ice and elevation are your best friends now.

My son had both ACLs replaced...one in May of his junior year in high school and the other in September of his freshman year of college. On the first surgery he was back to playing soccer at a high level when school started in August and actually played in a summer tournament in late July.

I had both of my knees replaced on Nov. 28 of 2016. Last week my doctor asked me if I was planning to hunt elk this year. I asked him if he thought I could do an elk hunt this soon and he said "Absolutely"! I am not elk hunting this fall, but I do have a black bear hunt booked.

I was very diligent about my PT and icing and elevating. I was released from PT at 6 weeks post surgery and started a supervised weight lifting program. As far as my legs/knees are concerned, I feel better and am stronger now than I was 10 years ago.

If you do the things you are supposed to do and control the swelling you will be amazed with your recovery. Good luck to you!-Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 11:27:00 PM »
I had a meniscus tear repaired just a year ago. The surgery went fine but a week later I was admitted with blood clots in both calves and both lungs. Take the precaution to learn about the symptoms of DVT and PE. The National Blood Clot Alliance website is a great resource. If you experience any of the symptoms be your own advocate and be forcefull. Medical providers are not always up to speed on diagnosing clots.

Other than that complication the rest went well. Had a good PT experience which helped a lot and was able to hunt the usual week and a half in November although I didn't push it by going as far back into the big woods as I normally do. Now at a year later I can do pretty much anything as before but will be testing it more this summer.

Good luck with your recovery.

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 11:59:00 PM »
I hope you heal up as fast as possible!

Bisch

Offline Bull Elk

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 12:28:00 PM »
I had a medial meniscus removed in 1958, playing D-1 football, in April's spring practice.  That was before scope surgery, and after much pt, and lots of water sking that summer, the quad muscles were built back up.  I played that fall without a problem.    Today's cartilage removal by scope enables players back on the field in 7-10 days.  Funny Story: I knew I would have pain immediately after surgery.  Two things, I was in the recovery room, coming around, and it hurt clear up to my hip.  I reached down to feel my leg, as I thought they must have removed it-so much pain.  Second,  I then looked around the recovery room saw others laying on the gurneys.  I then thought I was in the morgue!  Fortunately  I wasn't
Jim

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »
I had the same experience as NEK4ME. My surgery went well but I ended up getting a blood clot behind the knee.  That took longer to recover from the the Meniscus tear.
T ZZZZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©