3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If it ain't one thing...  (Read 614 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
If it ain't one thing...
« on: April 26, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »
Well, recovery from my double knee replacement is going fantastic. My surgeon tells me that I am well ahead of where he expected me to be. On a visit last week he said he felt I could do most any kind of hunt this fall that I wanted to do! That's the good news...
Having worked construction for 40+ years pulling wrenches, running 1"-2" air impacts, beating hammer wrenches with sledges, I have had some hand pain over the years. About a month after surgery, I started having some pretty bad swelling in my hands and some pain and swelling in my deltoids. I figured it was a result of using my arms so much during my knee replacement recovery. It has stayed the same and on some days, maybe a little worse.
Physical therapist says I have some damage to my right rotator cuff, which we are addressing and it is responding well. The numbness and swelling in the hands? We don't know. I did a round of steroids that helped, but didn't eliminate the swelling. Activity helps as much as anything, but it is painful to shoot more that a few arrows at a time.
X-rays  and blood test were inconclusive so far and I meet with a rheumatologist next month. I am hoping it is not rheumatoid arthritis. I would almost prefer an injury that can be repaired. I am scheduled for the Black Widow Bear Hunt at Squapan Mt. Outfitters in late August and I am going to do whatever it takes to go.
Keep me in your prayers fellars!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If it ain't one thing...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 02:42:00 PM »
Good luck on your recovery. It is always something !!
 Pain or no pain, swelling or no swelling I'd be going on that hunt.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
Mike got you in my prayers.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
Added to my list, Mike. RA is bad juju.
Aim small,miss small

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
Praying
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 04:05:00 PM »
:pray:

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
As far as anything shoulder related, the latest thing I have heard is hanging exercises are being used by pro athletes. For sure its worth checking out vs the knife if you can get some help from it.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 04:32:00 PM »
I hear ya Mike, after a couple of knees and some issues with one of them I thought I was good to go...........I go to Florida for a month and 10 days into it my gall bladder goes south and I wind up getting it taken out. All most back to normal but it just never ends. Best of luck, stay active and take care.......   :pray:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
There are a few releases for those with hand pain. Some are strap releases and there was another that resembled a tab but I can't remember the guy's name. He was on Tradtalk. There is also a guy named David Alford on *********** who has come up with a good release system but he won't show it to most people without a good reason. If you contact him perhaps he will give you his insights. He may be in Australia now tracking the Tasmanian Devil. Good luck with the recovery.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
I had a woman at gym who was in her late 80's tell me......"You gotta be tough to get old", man she was right!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »
Mike,
I have had a lifetime of injuries that may not be as harsh as a lot of folks have to deal with...but extremely limiting to say the least.
Do not exclude the idea of using a release with your trad bow if that is the only way you can shoot until you figure this out. I went through something similar, ended up using a release and a wrist sling one year(I could not close either hand at the time)and I took a great smaller buck which made it one of my proudest trophies.
Do what you need to do my friend, just hunt!
David M. Conroy

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
Jee Wizz Mike! Hang tuff Bro!
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
Good luck man.  Just practice making those few shots you can do count.  Thats all you'll need on a bear, maybe think of it practicing as if you are on a real hunt.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 09:29:00 PM »
We're rooting for you! Good luck on the bear hunt, hang in there.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »
Both knees at once, you are a strong minded person. I had my left one looked at, thank God, mild arthritis. Have they checked you hands for arthritis?  I had to give up my Hill style bow because my hand would hurt for a day. Even 800 grain arrows hurt.
 I worked using my hands almost my whole working life so I can relate. And yes, getting old is not for the weak of mind or body.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 12:28:00 AM »
:pray:  Get healed up .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 08:11:00 AM »
That stinks Mike. Lemme know if I can do anything...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
My Daughter gave me some magnesium oil to use on 2 ruptured discs I have in my thoracic spine, a fairly unusual location.  I thought it was snake oil, but had relief in less than 10 minutes.  Took it home, told my wife about it, so she rubbed some on her knee.  It worked so fast and well that she ordered a bunch on-line.  This was about a month ago, and we're still getting results.  She bought the purest oil she could find.  

Murray
Murray Seratt

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »
Thank you to all for the prayers, concern and suggestions. I am looking into all my options.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
Hang in there Mike...hope you find a quick and meaningful solution!!
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©