3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning help (updated with pics )  (Read 522 times)

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning help (updated with pics )
« on: April 28, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
So really trying to dial in this bow for the caribou trip...
Draw weight is 65 but at my length probably 62#
I've got some new arrows
Easton 2213 - 30 gr inserts with 175 field point

Bare shaft (10 yards) consistently left and angles to left

Also shot some GT 400's same scenario as the aluminums.

I dropped to a 125 grain on both... The carbon showed some improvement... Aluminum seemed worse ....

I had a moment of nostalgia , however I think I'm going to stick with carbons as I noticeably bent the hell out of the aluminum arrow bare shafting

So do I need to go to a 400 spine ?
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning help (updated with pics )
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
2213s are about 460  spine if I'm correct. Shooting those with 200ish up front seems way to weak  to me. that's why your getting nock left. I would guess if your running 200 up front you might want to try a 340-390 carbon. I shoot 390 ACC eastons out of my 50# bob lee with 250 up front. Good bareshaft to 30 yards. So I'd go way stiffer and f that was my set up. Buts it's hard to just guess to. If you want to stick with aluminums try a 2216 or even a 2219.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
can you please explain to me what you mean, "angles to the left"?  

It's probably better to explain it in reference to how the nock is pointed.  i.e. if the nock is angled left, it means the arrow is actually angled to the right of what i'm shooting.  

I agree with Nate.  At that weight, I know i'd be shooting closer to 300-350 spine.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »
Daniel yes sorry, should have been more clear. Nock is angled left... Way left to the point it looks like was shot from a completely different angle
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »
Can we assume that you are right handed?

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 05:54:00 PM »
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »
3 Rivers Archery offers a test kit for 20 dollars. This is from their website...

"This Gamegetter XX75 test kit offers you the chance to "test drive" 500, 400, 340, and 300 grain aluminum shafts.

Gamegetter gives you the best of both worlds with a state-of-the-art aluminum shaft that blends strength, flexibility, and affordability into a knock-out package!

If you've been shooting aluminum shafts, then you'll still be able to pick your favorite size. 500=2016 (10.6 grains per inch). 400=2117 (12 grains per inch). 340=2315 (11.7 grains per inch). 300=2317 (13.3 grains per inch)."

I'm not promoting any business here, but this might be a good way to find the proper aluminum shaft for you.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
Well, assuming that you're right handed, the arrow sounds too stiff to me. Either drop in spine or increase your point weight. With the heavier draw weight, I would lean more towards adding more weight up front.

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 06:11:00 PM »
I am still not certain in impacting left or angling left. I didn't catch the arrow length either. If the point of impact is to the right with the arrow leaning to the left it shows weak. If the arrow is hitting to the left it shows stiff. In either case .013 wall is very thin for 60# plus bows. You will bend and break a lot of them even under good conditions. I sure would want something tougher.Good luck. >>>-----> Ken

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 07:02:00 PM »
I bet you would be close with a 2219. Give or take some arrow length and point weight I bet you'd be close. The bare shaft guide that someone linked you to from acs  is the best out there for explaining bare shafting. I have even called them for help with tuning issues and they were always helpful. I have a few extra stiffer spine aluminums id be glad to send you if you want a test kit? Just pm me with your address and how long your arrows are. I should have extra and I'd be glad to send them your way. You definitely wanna make sure your rig is top notch tuned going on a cool hunt like that. Or any hunt really lol

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
I'm no expert here but I have also been messing around with paper tuning and bare shaft tuning.  A nock left or right result could also be brace height issue.  So you may want to check that as well.

Just a thought.

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
Ok guys update .. Heavier spine arrows .. Definately flying better .. Still needs some fine tuning.
Here are some pics for reference

Just this morning and those were consistent results.
Arrows are Goldtip factory blem 340 @28".. Standard inserts and 175 up front

I now however have new problem ... Nock failure resulting in dry fire and cracks in the riser

Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©