3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do You Shoot Your Bow?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Do You Shoot Your Bow?
« on: May 02, 2017, 11:07:00 PM »
A question for all willing tradgangers; When you practice, do you go outside and shoot or do you shoot your bow?  I must confess that I shoot my rifle, my caplock and I shoot my "other" bow from time to time, figuratively speaking of course.  I do not shoot my recurve however, I simply go out and shoot, or more aptly put, fling some arrows.  I noticed this speech pattern in myself and think that it is motivated by the connection with the implement involved.  So tradgang, do you shoot your bow?   :D
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do You Shoot Your Bow?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 11:26:00 PM »
Yep , just shoot and don't think about it .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 11:50:00 PM »
Yes, every day after school. Not thinking about it and just flinging arrows is a great stress reliever.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 12:51:00 AM »
Usually I shoot arrows.  Try not to shoot the bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 01:09:00 AM »
I cracked a window on my garage by shooting a brass string nocking point.  I was tuning a bow for a kid and I thought it was tight enough to stay and loose enough to move.  If I could an arrow curve like that, I would have something. I pull bows, fling arrow and try to shoot stuff or my targets.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 03:20:00 AM »
The incurred fulfilling experience, for me, is in permitting the bow to shoot the arrow.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 06:51:00 AM »
I think it's the experience of just flinging them that I enjoy most. It's all to often I shoot and I'm not thinking about form or anything. part of the fun

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 07:09:00 AM »
I agree with the others, I shoot arrows, spend too much on bows to be shooting them.  
To get to what I assume your meaning... I don't shoot much. 2 years ago it was every day, last year it was once a week. My ability didn't suffer much.  This year I shoot once every other month.  I am in a funk at the moment over big life changes ahead.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
Yes, I shoot my bows. If you call sending a bullet down range "shooting" your gun, then sending an arrow down range would likewise be called "shooting" your bow. Wow, I think we may be over thinking this stuff.    :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
I don't usually " fling arrows" when I shoot and I don't typically stand in front of a target either. Sometimes but not always.
 As the weather is warming here and I have new land to explore I find myself shooting​ more often. But I practice with a purpose
 Mostly I shoot my bear super grizzly. I have other bows but that one I shoot best.
 Not really sure what your question is?
 If your wondering how many folks shoot their traditional bows with a purpose. I think many do rather than just flinging em down range.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »
I shoot my bow!

Bisch

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
I guess I shoot. Year round. Its one of the reasons I shoot a longbow.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
Lately I've been shooting my longbows more deliberately, like a gun. Never had the money for rifle practice growing up, and now I live in town where guns are a no-no. It's a fun change of pace after years of just shooting, but I'm more analytical by nature anyway.

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
For me "to shoot" something has a purpose and "flinging" is just a pass time, no matter if I hit or miss.

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
I just enjoy flinging arrows without too much thinking.  It's my exercise and my enjoyment.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 06:27:00 PM »
I'm always trying to improve.  I shoot less these days than 2-3 yeas ago. I should be shooting more.

I shoot with the purpose of checking my competence 1st and trying to get better 2nd.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »
I understand what you're saying and yes I do both. I like to go out sometimes and just fling arrows but before the days out I will do some real one arrow at the time form practice.
" Live long and prosper "

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 07:58:00 PM »
If you have to think about it..... It's more like work?
Why work, when you can have fun!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
I made a self bow out of hickory and one out of osage in a two week period.  Both bows ended up way light by the time I had them to a shooting state, sort of a shooting state at best.  I was happy that they had no finish on them, because I did not shoot them, fling hundreds of arrows out of them or any other arguable cliche'. I split them, cut them into short pieces and a cooked steaks with them.  The steaks were fine but osage smoke is hard on the eye ball.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 09:14:00 PM »
I shoot my bow, but unfortunately not very well sometimes. My biggest problem is at longer range when I have more difficulty picking a finite spot. Then I sometimes find myself flinging arrows. Lately, though, I have been concentrating very hard on back tension and not plucking the string. Although this is a terrible habit, it does force me to think about each shot.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©