3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon, arrow chart, and traditional  (Read 503 times)

Offline Medley

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon, arrow chart, and traditional
« on: May 04, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »
Seems like carbons cover a bigger range than aluminums.

I am getting a new bow soon, a longbow that will be 45#@29" (my draw is about 28.5") I have been shooting aluminum, but want to try carbon. Looking at the 3R chart, looks like I need 400's. I want to shoot 125gr heads, and looks like the 400 for 29", 30", and 31"

So, safe to assume that 30" 400's will work great? I have no way of cutting carbons, so I don't know if I can just assume this will work, or do I need to order a few test shafts at a few different lengths?

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon, arrow chart, and traditional
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »
No you can't assume that and unless that bow is cut past center that even a full length 400 will work, especially with only 125gr. I'm guessing .600 spine with more weight up front. For example, my wife shoots 41@28 making about 43ish at29" draw A&H longbow which are known for liking stiffer arrows. She shoots 31.5" .600 spine with 275gr up front.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
i am thinking more like 500 spine. With 400 your going to be front loading that full length arrow. Now if your new bow is one of those new metal riser ones cut 5/16 past center 400 would work with the light points.
Best thing to do is get a test kit. Yes it will be more money spent but you need the right arrows to be satisfied with that new bow.  As for cutting them a xacto saw with fine blade will work. About $10 at hobby or craft store.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
If your long bow is cut like mine (toelke whip) i really doubt 500s will work.  Esp w 125 up front.  Id bet that 600s are where you need to start.  What size aluminums tune for you?  Many guys find out that they need to move to weaker arrows for longbows-- ive seen more guys shooting carbons that were too stiff as opposed to too weak.  How your bow is cut will have a major impact on what spine it will need to tune.
Good luck!

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »
Sorry just saw that you were shooting alums out of another bow.  You could start by bareshFting them when you get new longbow and will get an idea of general spine range to start w carbons.

Offline Medley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »
So, if I have some 2016's and 1916's, I can shoot these out of the new bow, and know what carbon spine I would need? That would be great! Makes sense, I just wasn't sure if it would work that way

Offline Medley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
The new bow will be a Maddog Prairie Predator

Offline Medley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
I believe they are cut a little past center

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »
Maddogs are NOT cut past center, they are cut before center, usually around 1/8".
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
Yes alums will give you a general idea of where to go in carbons.  Each bow and shooter is different so it is worth the time to tune.  Alums you have on hand are a good starting point.  Easton website tells you their respective spines.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 11:24:00 PM »
I missed the longbow part, I would try some full length .600 and plan on at least 200 up front, that's where I would start anyways
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©