3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Splicing feathers and economy  (Read 478 times)

Offline AndreasLundin

• Trad Bowhunter
Splicing feathers and economy
« on: May 05, 2017, 07:33:00 AM »
I have just started to splice my feathers and wondered if you make 3" or 4" feathers do you get more than one cut feather per full feather?

I can get two 4" feathers but find the quill and the feather too thin in the top of the feather to make a really nice cut feather. I also found that it's much easier to Mate the splice if a same part of the feather is used.

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Splicing feathers and economy
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 07:41:00 AM »
To make the best looking feathers you should use the same area to make one feather.  Seems to be a waste of the rest but it makes the best results. I do keep the rest of the feather and match some together for beat around arrows.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »
I make mine about 4-1/4" and I get 2 per feather. If they are feathers I processed I can get2 5" out of the primary's but usually true flight feathers I can get at least 2. I don't worry about the thin base as long as it glues I'm fine with it.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
The preferred way is what Biggamefish says. All the vanes in the feather match up better so you donot get separation of vanes when your done.
No, splicing feathers is not economical. That is one reason arrows with spliced feathers cost a bunch. I have been able to get at least one 5 in spliced feather and one plain 4 in cut out of a full length feather.

Offline AndreasLundin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks, I might use the best part for my hunting arrows and the thinner one for target practise.  Felt like a waste to throw half a feather.

I will make a post with my new hopefully nice arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©