3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Archery Hall of Fame  (Read 510 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Archery Hall of Fame
« on: May 05, 2017, 08:30:00 AM »
I found an unmarked recurve in an antique shop in Camden, SC. This is near Columbia, SC, which is the home of Jeffery Archery, founded by Owen Jeffery. In my research on the bow I tried searching Mr. Jeffery and found a few articles on his death. I knew he had passed away in 2016. The obituary and articles laid out his contributions to archery and bowhunting. Beginning in the 50s with Hoyt through the 60s and 70s and with Bear, then Shakespeare, and finally his own company. One article mentions his nomination to the Archery Hall of Fame. On the AHoF site he is not mentioned. The last class of inductees is listed as 2015.

Is the Archery Hall of Fame waining in support? If so, what should we do to correct this? I personally think we bowhunters and archers cannot allow this archive of our modern history to fall by the wayside and owe even a hint of support to keep the memory of our past contributors ongoing.

Am I off on this? Do we need a call to arms to rally support? Or should we allow this to "run its course" if support is destined to fall? Is the support there and I have just missed it in my research?

I am curious of the thoughts of others.

http://www.coladaily.com/2016/03/22/obits-owen-edward-jeffery-91/
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archery Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
I have heard nothing but good things about Mr. Owen Jeffery. Several times I have heard stories from guys about shooting with him at the shop, even in his later years. He had a love for the sport that he never lost. His son visited our booth at Denton Hill,PA a few years ago. I'd say that the company is in good hands.

Ironically I have a Jeffery bow for sale now, but have never owned one in a weight that I could shoot comfortably. I can, however, attest to the fact that they are fast, smooth, & accurate.

Bud B., thanks for starting this. The Carolinas have lost two great ones in recent years, Owen Jeffery and also Ben Graham of Hummingbird. Our sport was enriched by having them among us.

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
The archery hall is doing great! They have a specific protocol for new inductees have you talked to your state archery association about beginning the process?
Lucas Kent

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lucas K:
The archery hall is doing great! They have a specific protocol for new inductees have you talked to your state archery association about beginning the process?
Mr. Jeffery was nominated last year according to the article. It does not appear any updates to the site have recently occurred.

As for my state association, to which one do you refer? I am not in SC.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 06:58:00 AM »
From Diane Miller, AHoF-

"Owen Jeffery will be inducted into the Hall of a Fame with the Class of 2016 along with Dick Mauch, another Bear Company connection. The Announcement will be made within the next month.
Thank You.

Diane Miller"

That is great news!

I asked my above questions because their most recent newsletters on the site are from 2013. The most recent "letters" are also from 2013. The most recent update on the website I found is the cover page from their last banquet in 2016, which was not that far in the past.

:campfire:

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 07:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
From Diane Miller, AHoF-

"Owen Jeffery will be inducted into the Hall of a Fame with the Class of 2016 along with Dick Mauch, another Bear Company connection. The Announcement will be made within the next month.
Thank You.

Diane Miller"

That is great news!
   :campfire:  
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 11:39:00 AM »
An honor for inductees.  Folks who furthered the sport.  The list of inductees is very impressive. There are also people who would nominate themselves for selfish reasons. That is sad.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 06:26:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©