3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Educate me on Bear Quivers  (Read 798 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Educate me on Bear Quivers
« on: May 05, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
I am curious as to what determines what quiver will work on what bow..?  

I am in the process of refinishing a Bear A magnesium riser and would like for everything to be all bear, but i'm not sure of what to look for or not..

Will all bear quivers work on all Bear bows?  I am most interested in one that will mount to the side of the riser.  

Are these good quivers?  OR should I just go with a sponsor on here and get one with better functionality?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Educate me on Bear Quivers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »
The spring arm quivers can be noisy. The A Mag is short, as you know. Look for the short version of the spring arm. They have some adjustment by loosening the upper spiring arm screws and sliding the arm up or down along the quiver wire. Position the arm at the fadeout or before.

The spring arm quivers are rh and lh specific.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »
Bud,

your comment, "the spring arm quivers are noisy", makes me want to go another route.  Do you think this would be best?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 11:52:00 AM »
Daniel I killed my first deer with the spring arm quiver in the 70's but never liked them and found better quivers with my Damon Howatt and Bob Lees.Problem with the mags is the strap own quiver can slid up.I took some velcro and put under the strap and stuck a patch of velcro on the latch so the strap does not let the quiver slip up and bottom stays put with the arrows.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kip:
Daniel I killed my first deer with the spring arm quiver in the 70's but never liked them and found better quivers with my Damon Howatt and Bob Lees.Problem with the mags is the strap own quiver can slid up.I took some velcro and put under the strap and stuck a patch of velcro on the latch so the strap does not let the quiver slip up and bottom stays put with the arrows.
Kip,
thanks for that incite!  What quiver are you using on yours?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »
I have three for nostalgic purposes, Daniel. But they will not go with me to the woods unless I am stumping.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 01:14:00 PM »
Plain Jane Eagle flight but as I said the Mag limb wedges are very thick which is hard get it tight It is not perfect but works for me.I am still thinking of a way to improve the attachment on my Mag bow which I really like.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 01:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kip:
Plain Jane Eagle flight but as I said the Mag limb wedges are very thick which is hard get it tight It is not perfect but works for me.I am still thinking of a way to improve the attachment on my Mag bow which I really like.
EFA with a totem will solve that!

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »
Yes I have a EFA with a totem for my Bob Lee but made for limbolts might have to get another for my Mag.Are you coming to Mountain Bayou shoot.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
Yes sir, Kip.  But I will likely only be down there tomorrow.  I wont be staying the night.

I will be bringing new people who haven't ever been to a tourney though, so it will be a good deal.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »
I had a 4 arrow tape on model that I modified with Great Northern quiver rubber straps(article published in Trad Archers World a few years ago showing process). I found with that quiver if you go through and gorilla glue or super glue all the connection points inside the hood where the wires and hood met that the 'rattle' would go away. I donated this quiver with a 1958 Bear Kodiak to St. Jude's auction two years ago, so I can't show you pictures of it now.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »

This type 8 arrow can be adjusted to fit the bolt holes on the side of the riser .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 03:08:00 PM »
They're so noisy Fred hardly killed anything using them. Sarcasm aside. On an 8 arrow the top arm is adjustable. On a T/D, the bottom uses the stabilizer bushing. They are also left/right specific. They're great old quivers, and if adjusted right, and installed properly, they work just fine.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
Graps has one of the last ones made. Really is for a wheel bow. They work great on the 90's and later risers with little adjustment. I have a few of the spring arm ones as well. We used to buy the 8 arrow model  but put only 4 arrows in it. Just two noisy if arrows are anyway loose.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
Ive used the spring arms and they are noisy. This is now on my bow
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=154219;p=1#000000

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »
My take on them. Noisy, heavy, can mar finish on limbs. I used them in the 60s and early 70s when not much else was out there but better options are out there now.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 07:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Marc B.:
Is that the same side mount that the mag risers have?  mines an early 70's model one.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:

Originally posted by Marc B.:
Is that the same side mount that the mag risers have?  mines an early 70's model one. [/b]
Yes it is. The wrap goes around the top limb and the side mount screws into the side. Well balanced and dead quiet.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »
so the screw that comes with the quiver will screw into my mag riser?

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
Mine won't because the insert is countersunk on the Green Stripe. It's a 1/4-20 screw no problem getting a longer one, Don may have longer ones. I'm going to mount a longer one in a peice of antler.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©