3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting 2 different arrows???  (Read 585 times)

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting 2 different arrows???
« on: May 05, 2017, 10:15:00 PM »
Anyone out there shoot two different types of arrows from one bow?   I'm considering this because I'm building up a set of uefoc arrows for my bow to hunt with this fall but I'm gonna have a bunch of money tied up in these shafts.  So I would like to shoot some cheaper shafts when on the 3D range, when stumping, bird hunting, frogging, etc.  Any of you guys have 2 sets of carbons tuned to one bow for this purpose?

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting 2 different arrows???
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 10:39:00 PM »
All of the above. I will try all, use a few out of a dozen while practicing, but most other shooting is done with old aluminum arrows. I have had some given, had some in a bucket of old stuff, and bought several real cheap. I see you are also from Ky. If you were at Tradfest and knew me you would have seen me shooting arrows I bought there from someone's dollar bucket.
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
I have to setups for my Shrew Classic Carbon, one is a heavy FOC for Elk, Bear and Hogs with a !60 Snuffer or Tree Shark on a CX Heritage 250 with a heavy broadhead adaptor.                         The other is  fast and flat CX Heritage 150 with a 125gr G5 three blade for deer.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 07:36:00 AM »
I shoot wood exclusively from my Hill bows. I have several who will shoot multiple spine ranges well. However, most of the time I shoot 50 - 55#. I don't hesitate to shoot arrows from different sets during the same practice session or 3D round. I have several partial sets, but they are all the same specs, so they shoot just fine.
Sam

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 08:39:00 AM »
Sure, it is not uncommon to have different tools for different purposes, including arrows for any particular bow.  Light ones for fast flat target shooting, heavier ones for day to day hunting, real hefty ones for those days I seek out much more difficult game.

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
Once I determine what I'll be hunting with in the fall, I shoot them all summer for everything. That can get expensive but it's just how I like to do it.
Determining what I'll be using to hunt with in the fall is process. Seems I usually change something every year. Bow, shafts, or heads.
I just got a pack of Centaur Big Game Heads. My god they look serious.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 10:28:00 AM »
Yep.  My normal 3D and deer set up is a fast flying .400 Beman ICS.  It is hard hitting and flies very well.  I also have an arrow set up that is .340 Beman with a lot of weight up front.  It is slower, but it hits really hard.  I guess I could use it on anything bigger and tougher than deer or deer that hide behind trees.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »
I shoot multiple sets of arrows from each bow. I usually have. A few sets close on spine. If anything I swap out tips for different weight. I see no reason to use my more expensive shafts for practice or stumping.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
I have carbons, aluminum, and woods for my bows. I do pick the best flying woods and save them for hunting. The rest are practice/3D arrows. I do have one bow that lives in Pa. at my son's house. I would use the same arrows for both hunting and 3D.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
Im a user of heavy hunting arrows.... like everything, it has its own set of advantages/disadvantages. My present hunters are about 700gr. Making up a light 3D arrow, I ended up with just under 400gr. Its a bust for me, because there is enough difference in trajectory/point of aim, that if im use to my hunters I shoot well high with the 3D arrows. If I shoot enough for my mind to adjust with the 3D arrows, my hunters go well low. In my case, there was just too much difference, and it takes too long for my mind to adjust. So, im opting for a bit lighter hunter in the 600gr area, and will use one arrow for both play and hunting. Id think a lot of variables would come into play per each individual and their set ups.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 08:28:00 AM »
Yep.

Easton Axis Traditional and Deep Six Injexion out of my mid 40# draw weight bows.

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
Good stuff here guys, thanks for the replies.  My weight will be about the same, just my "playing" arrows will be much cheaper than the arrows I'll be using on white tails and turkeys.

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »
Heck fire multiple arrows from multiple bows and multiple bow weights. That's where it's at.  Bowhunting is easy if your concentrate on it and ignore all the misconceptions of the equipment jargon lingo

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »
I use the cheap gold tip hunters for small game and hog arrows and use the goldtip pro's for tournaments and big game

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 12:04:00 AM »
Why not, but once it gets a couple weeks from hunting season, whatever I'm hunting with is all that gets shot
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 12:11:00 AM »
Not me! I practice with what I hunt with!

Bisch

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 12:06:00 AM »
My quiver makes me look like a peacock.  Various lengths, spine and feather configurations.  From old or no longer owned bows .  I have an idea of the relative weights and pines but shooting for form allows me to just have fun- until it's fur time, then I narrow it down to my hunting shafts
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 12:57:00 AM »
i have a few different arrow set ups tuned to my bow but i generally just shoot my favorite combo 99% of the time
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 09:10:00 AM »
I don't use cheap arrows for nothing.  I want the best coming out of my bow whether it's a bunny or a buffalo...
Pine cones to mushrooms I aim to hit what I'm aiming at and expect to hit it...

So don't put a second-rate arrow in my quiver please.....ever.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »
DAAAMMMNN T !!!  Priorities !!! Tell it !!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©