3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How often do you bring binoculars hunting?  (Read 1577 times)

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
How often do you bring binoculars hunting?
« on: May 05, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »
Simple poll.  How often do you bring binoculars hunting?  

If you care to post in addition to answering the poll, please state how often and why you chose what you did.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Re: How often do you bring binoculars hunting?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
I vote always/almost always.  I find them invaluable for looking ahead before moving into an area, differentiating between brown bumps and animals, scouting, differentiating between sex of animals at distance, looking through brush, and generally enjoying the birds and other wildlife.  I probably spend 1/3 - 2/3 of my time when hunting looking through glass.  I almost never hit the woods without some and for how and were I hunt I sometimes consider them more important than my weapon of choice.  I've taken home quite a few animals that I never would have known were there if I had left the binoculars at home.  I've also filled some nice buck tags that I wouldn't have been able to ID as a legal buck without them because the brush was so thick.  It allowed me to punch through the brush and count tines as they moved along then scan for shot windows to thread the needle through.  My second best buck to date was taken solely because I was able to ID him as legal through the brush and pick a shot window out with binoculars and that wasn't even in very open territory or over a long shot distance; it just happened that the glass helped me to better ID and plan for a shot that would have been too risky for me to want to take without being able to plan it like I did and my naked eyes couldn't cut it by themselves.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
Very rare that I carry them.  I'm a minimalist especially since I started trad hunting. I'm a bow, tolit paper, bottle of water and if it's early season a thermacell kind of guy.  Sometimes I don't even take a big knife, I'll just let my old case mini trapper pocket knife do the work .

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »
I voted never/almost never. Most of my hunting is from stands where I can't see very far anyway. I do take binos on hunts where they have age or point restrictions on what you can shoot, or on the few western hunts I get to go on.

Bisch

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
Never leave home without them, even in thick cover.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 12:14:00 AM »
Don't leave home without them, ever.  Have some in my pack, both vehicles, turkey vest, and my travel duffel bag.  Have several fairly low-end glasses, but rely on Zeiss 10x30.  Wish I had another pair just like them in 7 or 8x for most hunting in Tennessee.  

Murray
Murray Seratt

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 12:20:00 AM »
Don't leave home without them, ever.  Have some in my pack, both vehicles, turkey vest, and my travel duffel bag.  Have several fairly low-end glasses, but rely on Zeiss 10x30.  Wish I had another pair just like them in 7 or 8x for most hunting in Tennessee.  

Murray
Murray Seratt

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 12:22:00 AM »
We only have two sense's that help us be successful in hunting, sight and hearing. Binoculars enhance our sight. Spotting game in thick brush when sometimes only a ear, or antler can't be seen with the naked eye I NEVER hunt without them.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 07:18:00 AM »
Almost all my hunting is for deer done at short range. Therefore, I don't feel much need for binoculars. I have found it inconvenient to use them, particularly since my eye sight has declined making focusing them difficult, and find myself making too much movement. I do better sitting still till the deer comes in close.
Sam

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 07:25:00 AM »
Ron said it all, I never go hunting without my binoculars.  

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 07:39:00 AM »
I hunt the mountains so they are a must for me also if after LASIK I see like a eagle.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »
Always! Not just for hunting.
So many uses, too.

I am surprised more survival/ prepper "experts",
don't recommend them in a pack!

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
Always.  I find one of the best uses is after the shot.  You can often see where the hit was made.
T ZZZZ

Offline Meflyfisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
Pretty thick here in Maine, I only bring them if I'm lucky enough to draw a moose permit
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 10:00:00 AM »
I always bring mine but don't use them as much as I should. Have always tucked them into a shirt or coat to keep them out of the way and protect from rain and snow but it is a pain and a lot of extra movement to take out and put back. Had been looking for a harness but didn't see one I liked. Recently saw a post here about the Rick Young harness and think it will make a big difference for making better use of them.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 10:18:00 AM »
Rarely/never.  If I have them, I use them, which means I am moving.  Generally hunting thick cover here though.  If I am intentionally setting up to watch a large field or clearing just to pattern activity then I will
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
I always have binoculars with me. If I am elk hunting it is important because there is a point restriction on bulls and I'd better be sure.  It is also fun to glass avalanche shoots and other spaces and appreciate the sights.  Sometimes I'll see sheep, goats, deer or bears.  Other times I just enjoy watching pine squirrels gather up food for the winter.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
I always have mine on using a bino harness, Crooked Horn I think.  I use them a lot to evaluate the critter I am hunting and for watching other wildlife.  

However, they have become part of my hunting setup because they keep my clothes compressed on my upper body.  I have never had a shirt or vest get in the way of my string since I started using them this way.  

D.P.

Offline Bill from NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
Always bring with me.
But, they usually sit in the truck.
Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 11:23:00 AM »
Never while hunting whitetails from a tree stand

Always while prowling on the ground for hogs
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©