3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How often do you bring binoculars hunting?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How often do you bring binoculars hunting?
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »
Seldom here.  When hunting out west and Alaska, they were essential. Where I can hunt here in NY, generally I can't see more than 30 or 40 yards, usually less. I found them to be one more unnecessary gadget.  

I will admit on occasion I wish I had a set of binoculars but its seldom enough, I make do without.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2017, 02:55:00 PM »
Like American Express, "I never leave home without it"
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
Shag, i am hoping you are not the one "scoping" me with your rifle cause you dont have binoculars.

I have used them many times at 30 yards on cloudy day last minute decisions.  Does that deer have little spikes ( technically a buck, for tag purposes) or is it a doe.  Also, as others point out, i can search the thick stuff.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2017, 09:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
Shag, i am hoping you are not the one "scoping" me with your rifle cause you dont have binoculars..
That was my first thought too.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »
Every time.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2017, 09:25:00 AM »
Food for thought, Bino's was one of the item's that Mr. Hill would always have when he hunted.  To this this explain's the importance of having them for stalking.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »
I would rather hunt without my bow thank without my glass.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »
All of the areas that I bow hunt are fairly thick, so I generally don't. It's just something else that I need to carry with me into the woods. The only time that I carry them is during rifle season if I'm sitting where I can see a long ways.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2017, 01:04:00 PM »
Glad to hear there are some other "never" or "seldom" guys out there.  Maybe it's just one of those skills I've never mastered.  I keep hearing folks talk about how essential binocs are for hunting.  But I've never been able to find much of anything with binoculars. The deer I find are usually within a couple hundred yards & I catch them moving or by their shape.  I carry a cheap monocular but by the time I get it out, whatever deer I saw has already moved on into the brush.  It's mostly just for fun.

I did use them once to some measure of success about 20 years ago.  I had walked up on a deer feeding in the brush.  He was behind some thick manzanita & soon moved his head behind it so I couldn't even see his head anymore.  His head didn't come into view again until he laid down to take a nap right in front of me.  I spent about 15 minutes slowly unzipping my backpack to retrieve my binocs with this deer sleeping about 12 yards from me.  I was hoping to see enough of a branch on his antler to take a shot (forked-horn or better out here & I was carrying a rifle).  I glassed those antlers hard but, alas, he was a solid spike.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2017, 07:28:00 AM »
I've also never viewed high quality optics of any kind as a traditional skill.  That's why I don't put a scope on my muzzle-loaders either.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
I have them with me but rarely use them.  However, since antler point restrictions were implemented in my area I have been using them more.  The thick areas I hunt a lot of times the animal is right on top of me before I see it so I don't get a chance to glass them. I need a good harness so maybe I would use them more.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Buxndiverdux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »
I've come to enjoy the simplistic nature of traditional gear, and the added difficulty. But I haven't given up the modern technology to help me find and locate game. As more people take to the woods to hunt during "archery" season, locating game has never been more important. I will not be without my binoculars.
Anneewakee Addiction Longbow
56" 57# @ 28"

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2017, 10:06:00 AM »
Always, always, always take binoculars.  I would feel almost naked without them.  Almost as important as the bow and arrows.  I can see farther, look into thick cover, see what critters are doing, etc.  So many times i have seen something that caught my attention, but needed the glass to tell what it is.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »
In the Midwest, I almost never carried them. Now that I'm in the Mountain West, I almost always carry them. That includes whitetail hunting on the plains. The terrain makes a big difference, but I've come to appreciate them even in a bit more cover. You can always stop and confirm what you think you're seeing.
FoCoBlackWidow

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
Looks like a good poll. I'm enjoying the discussion.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Boxbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2017, 10:44:00 PM »
I never head to the woods without them. Sometimes, I have been in a rush and started to my woods without them. I always go back and get them.

Like others have stated. I almost feel naked without them. Even in the thicker parts of the woods that I hunt. They help me spot and identify game easier.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2017, 12:35:00 AM »
I rarely go without them when I bowhunt.  I carry them occasionally when squirrel hunting just to keep track of fellow hunters in a skirmish line.  I sometimes carry them when fishing if I am in a wildlife rich area.  Certainly carried when fly fishing Yellowstone and Alaska to watch for bears, buffalo, or other hazards.

As many have stated, I use them to watch other wildlife.  I am guessing my glassing activities have alerted deer I never saw because of extra movement.  But I am willing to accept that as part of the total experience.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2017, 12:11:00 AM »
I am among the Always votes.  There is so much more to see than just the animal you're hunting.  I know tons of folks like those harnesses, my wife among them.  She always has her glasses with her, too.  I prefer to just shorten up the neck strap to where it'll just go over my punkin head, and the binocs ride high on my chest.  They're out of the way of my bowstring, my rifle, my camera, my whatever.  We have become sort-of bird watchers, and have enjoyed many times identifying a bird that only binocular use would allow.  We have them in both our vehicles, and on the tables at home that allow viewing outside.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
All the time, once you get use to them it is hard not to use them. It is amazing what you miss with the naked eye.

Tundra
60" Black Widow 40@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 43@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
60" Black Widow  42@28
NRA Member, Life Member Traditional Bowhunters Maryland
Bill Wilhelm

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
Never. One less bulky item to tote along. Plus, I do most of my deer hunting from treestands. No antler restrictions here in NJ, yet, so don't need them to ascertain a legal buck. And by the time they're within shooting range, I wouldn't need them anyway.

Now if I hunted out west, that would be a different story.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©