3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I can't see! Glasses?  (Read 966 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
I can't see! Glasses?
« on: May 06, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »
Well I need advice on what you guys do. When I draw with my glasses on my string hits them. Not sure I can do contacts.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I can't see! Glasses?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 12:13:00 PM »
Going to have to make adjustments to your anchor.  Welcome  to getting older.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »
Just went through the exact same issue....tried glasses and they didn't work for me. I'm too stubborn to change my shooting form so I went with contacts. Didn't think I could do it either but....so far so good. Still need reading glasses for up close work but at least I don't need them while shooting!
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
Talk with your eye care professional.  Maybe they can make some suggestions as to how to deal with the vision issue without changing your shooting style.  I have worn glasses my entire adult life with no issues shooting my bow.  I do, however, shoot split finger and that means a lower anchor on my face.  Vision/shooting issues should always be discussed with your eye doc.  My son is one and likes to work with folks on issues concerning their physical activities.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »
Tom, sent you an email. Fred
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 12:59:00 PM »
I went through the same issues and found that some frames still allowed me to shoot without changing my style or anchor. The best ones for me where a pair with narrow, top to btm, frames. The worst were larger roundish lenses. I only need a single prescription lens and do not have to deal with looking through the top or btm part of the lens.

I anchor at the corner of my mouth ... good luck
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 12:59:00 PM »
Also I tried contacts and they were not for me. Heck of a time getting them in and keeping my hands clean enough for handling them when on a backpack hunt ...
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
Tom,5 years ago I was on your shoes,so I decided to go through a Lasik surgery,being glasses and contact not the best choice for an hard core backcountry elk Hunter. Well best thing I ever did,I barely use bino if not to double check,I use reading glasses though in low light conditions..When my buddy,member here, saw how well My eyesight improved he decided to do it himself.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
As someone who has had glasses most of my life. I just had to adapt. LASIK only lasted six years then back to glasses.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 03:25:00 PM »
I have wore glasses or contacts for 35+ years. My glasses have never interfered but I see how they could for different anchors. Don't rule out contacts before trying them. I didn't think I would be able to stand them but I don't have any issues with them other then cleaning. If you end up going with glasses get a small frame and single vision lenses for shooting and hunting.  Shooting with bi-focals sucks. LASIK may be the best answer if it will work for you.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 03:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
Going to have to make adjustments to your anchor.  Welcome  to getting older.  LOL

Mike
Welcome to my world..........   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
I can't shoot with glasses on period. No way did I think I could handle contacts, but.....
Once you get used to getting them in and out; contacts kept me in the game.
Ken Thornhill

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
Just to put your mind at ease, Kisik Lee, the coach of the US Olympic Archery Team, insists that his players wear dark glasses whenever they shoot.  I guess if the best in the world can get used to them, you can too!

One piece of advice: many types of lenses these days are out of focus unless you look through them in a certain direction.  Transition lenses change focus as you look up and down in order to see close up, and polycarbonate lenses only focus perfectly in the center in order to stay thin around the edges.  You need the old-fashioned lenses that focus perfectly when you look through them at any angle because that's the way you'll be looking when you aim.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline jabodnar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 04:49:00 PM »
I ended up with a pair of sunglasses frames that wrap very tightly to my face and prescription lenses.

Posted about it here. Pics in the link.

Lenses are bigger than my normal glasses, I get a larger field of view, but no string contact bc of how tightly they fit to my face.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »
I have been wearing glasses since 3 yrs old (60 years now) and shooting bows since about 10 so have never even thought about them getting in the way until I started seeing the occasional post on here so have a hard time picturing what the problem is, nevermind make suggestions to help.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
I shot with glasses from 4th grade until age 57. Never had any problem hitting frame regardless of frame size. No problem when I went to bifocals either. At age 57 I had cataract surgery and have never had better vision.
I always shot split with corner of the mouth anchor.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 07:13:00 PM »
Progressive lenses change correction as you look up and down. They are a variation on the older style bi-focal lenses. Transitions only darken in sunlight and act as sun glasses.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
Like many I've worn glasses since 4th grade. Then as a freshman as I was entering college (1977) I switched to hard contact lenses.  

I've never had an issue shooting with either.  However, when I live in KS for 3.5 years I gave up the contacts because of windblown dust that seemed to never stop.  Only problem with glasses had nothing to do with shooting.  When it was cold and I wore masks, I would fog up my glasses...especially when breathing rate increased as a shot opportunity neared!

I did the Lasik think in 2007. My vision went from legally blind (without glasses) to better than 20/20 in just 3 days of healing.  Best thing I ever did for myself.  I'm a bit bummed these days though now that 11 years have passed since the Lasik I have to wear a bit of prescription if I want to see 20/20 out of both eyes.  I don't need them except when reading or on the computer though.

I think experimenting with different frame shapes and sizes are your best bet because your eyes may not need enough correction to go through Lazik.

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 07:49:00 PM »
Never wore glasses until my late 40's struggled with them for several years, fogging up in the cool mornings, pain in the rear in the rain, and I couldn't shoot with them on.
    My friend from Italy had Lasik and spent a few days at our house after his surgery, it was enough to convince me, greatest thing I did for my vision and helped my shooting.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
glasses are typically inevitable, roll with the punches and just figure out a way to get along with them and they'll do you right.

glasses are the only time i like that political word "progressive" - varilux progressive polycarbonate lenses with transition adaptive uv protection.  they work just fine for all my shooting sports.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©