3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I can't see! Glasses?  (Read 967 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I can't see! Glasses?
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 06:07:00 AM »
I had to get glasses in my late 20's. I had to switch my anchor down to corner of mouth. I went to a contacts in my 30s due to the fogging and mist/ rain issues. I have no issues on camping trips etc, but I am lucky enough to not need a mirror to put them in.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 07:09:00 AM »
Try keeping your head more vertical, that will open up some string clearance and for me it gives me a better view, with my head leaned over I could only see out of the very corner of my glasses and that for me can worsen Target panic. Also style of glasses, I've gone to smaller lighter frames and lenses, the Oakley line is working good for me but damn they are expensive!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 08:39:00 AM »
I regularly where progressional glasses. But I had a pair of glasses made up for shooting and hunting that are the smallest frame I could find and I do a bifocal with a very small line for the reading part a very shallow area.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 08:42:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I have the no line lenses that work from close up to far away. I think they are what you guys are referring to as progressive lenses. I shoot three under and probably do draw a little farther back than I should. I was telling Fred, it isn't a problem outside as there is more light so I don't wear my glasses. The issue is when shooting in my basement in lower light. I have a tough time seeing the dark string nocks against the dark carpet and arrow flight is a bit blurred.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 08:57:00 AM »
Good luck TJ.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
I put up with a smear of string wax on my glasses right where I was looking while shooting, and the glasses fogging up in cold weather for many years. Then I switched to soft contacts and I do see better with them than I did with glasses. Now, I have to carry reading glasses with me because my perfect vision with contacts doesn't work within three feet or so. Don't shy away from contacts. They are terrific.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Boneyard Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
I had the same problem. I went to contacts and couldn't wear them. The optometrist told me that I needed glasses with a smaller lens. It helped! Now the string still hits the glasses but doesn't move them up on my face like the larger lens ones did.
Very easy to get use to and I can see what I am looking at.
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
I'm lucky, because my distant vision is till good enough to shoot without my glasses. When that changes, I will try contacts. Now, when I shoot with glasses on, I often hit them with the bow string, and that hurts.
Sam

Offline khperkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by jabodnar:
I ended up with a pair of sunglasses frames that wrap very tightly to my face and prescription lenses.

Posted about it here. Pics in the link.

Lenses are bigger than my normal glasses, I get a larger field of view, but no string contact bc of how tightly they fit to my face.
That's a good post. I'm having problems with my anchor point and glasses also. (I'm very new to archery.) I wear progressive lenses. Luckily I have an eye appointment this week and can talk to my doctor about recommendations.
Hoyt Pro Hunter 58" 40#
Samick Sage 62" 50#@28"

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
I used to shoot compound with glasses before I switched to contacts, but have never shot a trad bow with them. Contacts work great for me, so maybe you'll want to give them a try. Sometimes they are a bit inconvenient, but it's nice to be able to see clearly.

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
Smaller lenses.  Stay away from those massive goggle styles.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »
As a teenager, I shot a compound but with fingers and in the olympic style - split finger & anchor under the chin with my nose on the string.  Glasses were never a problem for shooting and only rarely a problem for fogging.  A wide-brimmed hat kept the rain off my glasses most of the time.

But now, doing traditional archery, shooting 3-under and anchoring in the corner of my mouth, nose almost touching the shaft, I can't do glasses at all.  My string lightly grazes my face and wipes those lenses right off and sends them a few yards downrange.  I do daily disposables for hunting now & carry some extra eye drops in the field.

I guess if you had to, you could learn to shoot like Ishi.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2017, 12:56:00 PM »
I went to contacts in my early 20s and it was 100 percent because of hunting.  I can't imagine dealing with glasses fogging up in the woods like I did before I switched.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©