3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Please recommend a DR Longbow  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
Please recommend a DR Longbow
« on: May 06, 2017, 10:27:00 PM »
I've been on the fence but have finally decided to make the switch from recurve to longbow. Been looking at the toelke whip but would really like to know what other SIMILAR one piece bows are out there. Mostly concerned about noise and vibration, craftsmanship and glue lines (especially riser fade feathering an idead wood lams). I'd like it to be as close to perfect (I guess we all do) as possible.

I started another thread about the toelke whip and Berry taipan and have realized I'd like to go a bit further.

Thank you
Cheers!   Pat

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Please recommend a DR Longbow
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »
You cannot go wrong with a Whip.  His build quality and attention to detail is second to none.  His fancier creations are stunners and the wait time can't be beat on customs.  

That being said, you may want to consider bows like the Leon Stewart Slammer, Big Jim Buffalo, Holm-made Osprey/Goshawk/Kingfisher, Black Widow PL series, Northern Mist Superior or Ramer, Mohawk Sparrowhawk, Wes Wallace Royal, or Poison Dart bows.  All those I just mentioned are shooters and beautifully built.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 10:52:00 PM »
Lots of good bows mentioned.  I also like Liberty Chief, J.D. Berry Taipan, Robertson Stykbow Vision and Great Northern Critter Gitter (the older 64-inch model).

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »
Is wait time for a custom a factor for you? Tolke is a couple weeks from what i hear.  I waited a year for my Caribow.  That said, it won't be my last Caribow.  Abe builds a phenomenal bow!
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
Can't go wrong with a Maddog for a first custom.  High quality workmanship, outstanding performance, affordable price and a relatively short waiting period.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »
Holm-Made Goshawk.......beautiful bows and very good performance.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 01:40:00 PM »
I see you are from Connecticut at least part of the Time. Any chance you could make ETAR in July. That would give you a chance to shoot a bunch of bows from a lot of bowyers. Then you can make a decision on what is best for you
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Woodpuppy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
Mike Treadway makes a fine longbow too  ;)

Looks like you have a lot of choices. Shoot everything you can get your hands on, it's awful expensive to buy em all.
TBOF
Horse Creek Traditional Archery Club
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »
I am from CT, but am out of the country almost year round... Would love to be able to make it to a show but it isn't possible yet.

Not so worried about turn around but I can't afford to get on a yr long waiting list since I can't predict where I'll be when the time comes (work moves me around a lot) and what the country's importing laws will be.

Having said that, the whip sounds​ like a good option.

Thanks for all your feedback, keep it coming if you've got it!

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
St Joe river bows. Great quality deflex reflex great people to work with. Can't find a smoother pull imo.
St. Joe River Bows

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
Toelke Whip, Java man Elk Heart, Caribow Peregrine. The Toelke wait time is awesome and quality is still top shelf.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
I prefer the Pika to the Whip, but certainly nothing wrong with a whip.  I'm a huge Toelke fan, all others get conpared to a Toelke for me.

Offline kleine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 11:23:00 PM »
Dwyer long bows!
Striker Fastback 58" 50#@28"
Bear T/D - A 56" 47#@28"
Holm-Made Shrike 64" 49#@28”
Holm-Made River Runner Static 58” 48#@28”
BW PL III 47#@28" 64"
BW PCH CARBON 45#@28" 58"

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
I have owned a number of Standard and Classic Whips. They are superbly well-mannered bows, smooth-drawing, fast, devoid of hand shock and very, very quiet. They are flawlessly crafted from beautiful woods, will come with a nice bow sock, 2 strings you won't have to replace and will get to you in a few short weeks. There is truly nothing not to like dealing with Dan and Jared.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
Love my Big Jim Buffalo. The only bows I have seen that are prettier or as flawless in craftsmanship is another Buffalo or TC. works of art. The  Buffalo is a great performer as well plenty fast, Minimal hand shock less than my Bear Grizzly recurve! And as quiet as a church mouse.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
rmsgrear.com look through the list. Maybe give them a call. If you have an idea of what grips you get along with they will help you out. Huge inventory to look through.

There will be as many names on this list as there are makers.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
I would like to recommend what many consider THE ORIGINAL deflex reflex longbow....a Robertson Stykbow...his current model is the Primal Styk and also has a variant with OverDrive limbs that are even more reflex but still a D shaped bow at brace height.

I have his Primal Styk and it is a fine bow that throws an arrow with authority.

Another that I would never have know if not for this site is the Mohawk Sparrowhawk longbow.  I bought one that was the original prototype that a gentleman here shot for a while and did a write up on here for TradGang.  What a sweet shooting bow...sold it to buy a Wolfer but wish I would have kept it as a back up longbow to my Primal Styk.

The only other longbows of this design I have show is a Wes Wallace and it too is one of those bows that is just magic in the hand.  

Lots of good choices...you need to find yourself a big traditional archery shoot or someone that has one of the bows listed and shoot it for yourself.  Everyone is different and though I absolutely adore the Robertson, Mohawk and Wes Wallace RD Longbows....you may think they suck.

Best of luck....
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »
Kimsha Mattawoman II.  It might not quite be a full DR since the curves arent extreme, but Im no expert on the matter.

Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 11:01:00 PM »
I've shot a bunch over the years.  Currently shooting a Toelke Whip and I really like it.  It is a great compromise in design; light, very quick, very quiet and shoots beautifully with no bad habits.  Others that I like are the Robertson, Great Northern Critter Gitter and the Liberty Contender
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 01:52:00 AM »
I am partial to Herb Meland Pronghorn 3-piece takedowns.  Owned 2 one-piece Pronghorn bows and prefer the 3 piece takedowns.  Very smooth draw and good cast.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©