3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Centaur broadheads  (Read 2205 times)

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
Centaur broadheads
« on: May 07, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
Has anyone used these heads on elk? They look like a nice head and I wouldn't hesitate to use them on deer but I'm a little concerned about penetration problems on a much larger animal.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Centaur broadheads
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
Jim has a video on his site showing how tough those heads are. I've never used them but from what I saw I wouldn't have any reservations using them on an elk.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »
The only Centaur heads I've seen made Simmons look like miniatures. I wouldn't go that big for elk unless your shooting super heavy!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 07:33:00 PM »
I ordered a 3 pack of  the Centaur 1 3/4" wide  180 gr glue on Big Game Heads and got them this week. To test and shoot to see if I would use them for whitetails. I decided to try them because the wide cut, single bevel and long length should be a serious combination. At first they look huge but after awhile you get used to it. As far shooting they honestly do shoot very well. It has been really windy all week here. So shooting conditions aren't ideal but they shoot good. I had no problems at all. I used a combination of 3d targets and parts of 3d targets to shoot at. I them side by side with Tree Sharks and single bevel Grizzlys. Penetration and accuracy were equal to the Grizzly which is only an inch wide. The Tree Sharks didn't shoot as well for me or penetrate as deep. I recall thinking I would shoot an elk with those Centaurs! (I never shot an elk so what do I know.) The Centaur should be devastating on deer. I'm going to test them and torture them for  few weeks but I'm sure that is what I'll use for deer. My bow is 60lb@30". I put a 125 gr adapter in the Centaur for a total arrow weight of 650 gr.
Tedd

Compared to a grizzly

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
This is a brand new McKenzie 3d target. The Centaur Big Game head makes makes an S cut or cracks the foam each time. I think you would ruin a target pretty quickly.

Offline batbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 12:26:00 AM »
I have not harvested anything with these, but they  are definitely going to get used on deer this year .
I Also bought the 180, However I glued them onto a 35 grain adapter for an arrow weight of 540 out of a 49 lb bow.
they fly excellent and also destroyed the 3 in dot of my foam
Broadhead target in three shots, penetrated 8 inches,
Penetration in the block was almost identical to the 200 grain single bevel eclipse I have been using.
Stalker Coyote 56, 49@28
Acadian woods carbon recurve 58 46@28
Black widow pch 58, 40@28
Browning Nomad Stalker 45# 28
Morrison 58, 47@28
Black Widow PCH 58 in 40#@28

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 03:15:00 AM »
I have no doubts as to their durability, but I question the penetration of a head that wide. Particularly on a shot that touches (or center punches) the shoulder blade on an elk. With a grizzly, I cut a deep gouge in a bull's scapula and broke two ribs, the broadhead was sticking out the other side of the bull by about 6 inches. I was hoping someone out there had actually killed an elk with one and could enlighten me on how they performed. I do shoot a heavy arrow, about 820 grains at about 165 fps.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 06:22:00 AM »
Ask Jim! He's killed an elk with one.

I love the Big Game heads, double bevel.

Easy to sharpen, too!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 08:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by newhouse114:
 I do shoot a heavy arrow, about 820 grains at about 165 fps.
Yeah I'd call that "super heavy"!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
Where's Sam Stephens  when you need him? I think he has taken a couple elk with either the big game heads or Simmons. I know several people who have had great results with the Simmons interceptors and tiger sharks with mid 50# bows and medium 5-600 grain arrows and I'm assuming the big game head would do just as well if not better.
Elk are big and tough critters but they aren't cape Buffalo lol

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »
In Jims hunting video he kills an Elk with one and it's really impressive.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »
I love these heads but hard to answer with no bow poundage or draw lenfht mentioned too little information to really give an answer

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 07:31:00 AM »
I plan on using the Big Games for this September Elk hunt, and 550grains I do not doubt the lethality and ability to penetrate. Great head!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
Charles m, I thought arrow weight and speed would provide the info needed. I draw about 29 inches at 65 lbs. Tolke whip.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
Does Jim Neeves have like a 26" draw?  For him to kill an elk with one should solidify any doubts one might have.  

I'd also bet that if you get them razor sharp, poundage will be irrelevant as long as it's a legal hunting weight.  

I've seen guys on tv and youtube stick a big bull elk in the shoulder with an #80 compound or crossbow and get no penetration.  Don't expect to see any different with a trad bow.  Put it where it's supposed to go, or at least, not in the shoulder and you'll be fine imo.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©