3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many of you DO NOT wear camo when deer hunting?  (Read 2973 times)

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
How many of you DO NOT wear camo when deer hunting?
« on: May 07, 2017, 07:36:00 PM »
I'm pretty sick of the quality of camo clothing quality available currently. Even at the big box stores, paying more money. It's almost white on the inside, fades after 1 or 2 washes and not very durable for the cost paid. I know deer are color blind and was thinking about just wearing higher quality work cargos dedicated for hunting (paying attention to scent of course). I will save the camo for turkey hunting only. I am not trying to hit a nerve with any suppliers here but I feel like what we are paying for is a design or artwork, not functionality. I even think it was #4 of Fred Bear's 10 commandments of hunting, "The best camo pattern is called "Sit down and be quiet". Am I out of line and being stupid or are others in the same like mind?
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Re: How many of you DO NOT wear camo when deer hunting?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
I wear it when I can. That said I often hunt after work in blue jeans and a carhart polo. Animals see MOVEMENT much easier than colors, patterns, and in highly detailed resolution. I firmly believe that camp helps break up the outline and helps you hide as does plaid and simple earth tones. That said even in the best camo in the world if your out there moving and salsa dancing around there won't be an animal in sight that you can shoot.

For what it's worth with traditional camo I've had pretty good experiences with the comfort, performance, and durability of the Cabelas Microtex line. It's pretty pricey though. And even with that in the closet I still sometimes go out in a solid khaki pant or blue jeans and a simple earth toned pocket tee or polo.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 08:10:00 PM »
I am still thinking earth tones and washing with detergent that does not contain phosphates. I heard that Deer see in the UV spectrum so phosphates should glow to them like you're under a black light.
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
Last year's deer season was the first year I completely abandoned "camo."  I wore Asbell's wool plaid and brown or dark green wool pants or bibs.

I did not notice any difference in deer detecting  me.

While I think it is good to try to break up your outline, that can be done without "modern" camo patterns.

Mike
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »
I wear camo a lot but not exclusively and not for the normal reasons. So here is why I often do...
 1) A friend that buys it often gives me some of his old camo.
 2) I buy some dirt cheap after season. (Also plaid, brown, and gray when cheap enough).
 3) Camo says "Do not wash" to my wife. I use different detergents on hunting clothing.
 That being said I also wear and do just as well with other what I call woodsy colors and plaids.
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
I wear more earth tone colored pants and earth tone plaid shirts. I refuse to pay big bucks for camo clothing. As mentioned before, it's all about movement.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 09:48:00 PM »
plaid shirts and dark pants
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »
Many years ago I was gun hunting , sitting on the ground with snow .
I was wearing blaze orange head to toe and had two deer walk towards me and past me . They were on each side of me close enough that I could have touched both at the same time .
They didn't stop walking nore did they even act the slightest bit nervous .     :dunno:  
Sense then I have had deer bust me wearing my ghuillie with the wind in my favor .     :dunno:  
Explain that ....
My conclusion ; I don't think it matters what you wear as much as how quiet and still you sit .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 11:51:00 PM »
I usually wear camo bottoms of a fleece material that is also quiet. One is a cheap fleece bottom found in any department store that is lightweight and can be worn alone when warm or layered in colder weather. Top is a plaid flannel or wool shirt or a plaid wool jacket depending on the weather.

Last year I started using plaid shirts from 2ND hand stores with the sleeves cut off over a different pattern of shirt or wool jacket to provide further contrast and breakup effect. I also added an Asbell Pathfinder in grey as a top layer for snow conditions.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
Plaid is a camo.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 12:41:00 AM »
Try convincing Realtree or Mossy Oak of that!

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 01:29:00 AM »
Once in awhile older camo pants/jeans.  Always seasonal plaid tops.

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 09:00:00 AM »
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. My rain gear is camo, and I often use the top as a light jacket in the fall. My most common regular camo is the old style military woodland camo, including camo field jacket.  I have both Asbell and La Clair wool, but I usually need less heavy clothes.
Sam

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
I have never hit the big game "woods" in 46 years without camo.  Essential...no, but it is my bow hunting "uniform".  

I like the highest tech stuff out there for the fit, feel, and design details that help me with carrying stuff.  

I donated about 20 years worth of accumulated and well cared for duds to Goodwill about 4 years ago when i switched out all the various items I've gathered for Sitka and KUIU.  I know it is expensive but highly durable and comfortable. My work clothes would not be stout enough for hunting.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »
I wear whatever I want with an ASAT mesh suit over the top.  It's the best option I've found for me so far.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
Depends on the temps.  My Filsen double mac is a sort of camo and my Brunner wool is camo. A brown plaid wool shirt and my brown pattern wool sweaters from Norway are as much a camo pattern as any camo print.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »
I have accumulated a bunch of camo over the years. The old Winona Camo fleece lined vest is one of my favorites. Nice and warm.

I do own a set of Sitka. I particularly like the pants because they shed water when walking through dew covered grass, and rain.
Having said that I have a plaid shirt I found in a thrift store that I wear in warmer weather w/ cargo pants from a LL Bean (sales rack) that I really like. My favorite top piece when it gets really cold is Asbel wool plaid. It's big enough to cover extra insulation.

The one piece of clothing I miss is a pair of Codet green wool pants. Mine wore out after years of use and numerous encounters with barbed wire fences. I will find another eventually.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 09:42:00 AM »

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. I see no difference. The only thing I never wear anymore is blue. Deer see blue very well. Learned that the hard way

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
I only wear camo in early season when it is brutally hot and humid still here in Southeast....as not found any light weight plaids that let me keep cool.  First cool days in 60s or lower and I am in cotton plaids...and when in 50s or lower I move into lightweight wool and then heavier wool as needed.  Yes I know...us southern guys cant handle cold.

I dont change clothing for different animals...what I wear for deer I wear for everything.  

This bear was shot at 12 yards...stand was barely over 6 feet up from ground.   :)  

Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©