3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many of you DO NOT wear camo when deer hunting?  (Read 2975 times)

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many of you DO NOT wear camo when deer hunting?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 10:06:00 AM »
I think it's more of a modern thing with my generation. Hunting has become a fashion show with camo. It's one f the reasons  I went all traditional 10 years ago. To many guys think camo and high tech gear makes them a better hunter. I think you just have to sit and be quiet. That's all

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 10:18:00 AM »
My beard is pretty much white, I have had complaints about it.  I wonder if I should dye it in an ASAT pattern or would a brown green military pattern be good enough.  I can tolerate a face net in the spring for turkeys, but not in the fall.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
I started wearing camo in 1969.

This guy doesn't go to a fashion show when hunting. I don't think it makes me a better hunter, time, experience, and education are the "shortcuts" to that.  I'd hunt in the blue leisure suit I was married in (1978) if I wanted to and not feel too much at a disadvantage (except for the laughter from Bjays).

Neither do I feel the need to fit another's definition of traditional. That's why I avoid the word "traditional" like the plaque it has become when referring to the recurves I choose to use.

I've never met anyone, including my self who could sit unmoving for 2-3 hours.  Camo helps "confuse" the animal's view of the hunter.  I'm sure plaid works the same.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »
Like almost everybody I bought into the camo thing years ago.  I believe it works !  but... I have had too many close encounters wearing plaids to discount them.  I own too much camo to just not use it, but I own more and more plaids and similar stuff too and I don't feel the need for full camo as I once did.  Do wish my beard wasn't white so I could dispense with a face color or cover.  During elk trips I have been known to just dye my beard a dark color for the trip.

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »
My only fear with the white beard is that during the early muzzleloader season, I have had muzzleloaders point their guns at me because they saw something white.  I saw one doing it with my binoculars.  That is who complained about my white beard. He said he brought his gun up with the safety off.  He got a response from me that he was not expecting,  I get really angry when people point guns at me.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
I wear plaid shirts all the time as casual wear. I dump them for camo, which as Bowwild states are my woods uniform for almost 50 years. I've done it in plaid, camo and solids...they all will work. Go with a preference and believe what you will.

These days I actually WANT the fabrics used by many high-end camo makers. I've tried, bought, owned and worn many of the camo items from Sitka and KUIU...their patterns in their unique fabrics. I've come to prefer them over the solids and plaids (fabrics) I have worn at times. This is especially so on demanding hunts in far-flung places under extremes of weather. I see no down side to the camo patterns, and plenty of upside in the fabrics....for me.

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »
The advantage of solid green wool pants is that they tend to match the growth on some days.  A deer looks my way and says, "oo is that a hunter? No, just a nice pile of harmless cockle burs."

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »
I usually hunt without camo but at the first of season may wear a camo short sleeve shirt.  I don't have anything against camo, just like wool and cotton plaids better.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 08:41:00 AM »
Normally camo pants and a plaid shirt.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
50-50 for me. Wool plaid or grey works as well in my hardwoods. Sometimes a mix. Late season single color grey and darker single color shades.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
I wear both.  I am moving towards the more modern camo's like first lite and sitka as I find them more packable and lighter in weight for the same protection.  As I get older that is important.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
Sometimes but I try NOT to.  My hunting areas are often along trails that hikers use & I'll often camp near other hikers.  Whether I agree with some of them or not, the fact is simply that this is CA and I'm going to make a lot of folks uncomfortable by being out hunting at all.  Carrying a traditional bow is a lot more friendly looking than carrying a rifle.  Wearing plaids & solid, natural colors is more friendly than wearing camo.  It's not a hard and fast rule but more my rule of thumb.  Brown cargos & a green plaid shirt from REI invites conversation but camo tends to repel others out here.

Sounds petty but 2/3 times, if a couple walks by, it's the wife or girlfriend who asks me if I've seen much or otherwise invites conversation.  That never happened in camo or with a rifle.  Rangers, cowboys, hikers, trail runners are all good folk who share the woods with me.  Besides, if I've gone all day without seeing any deer (pretty common), taking a few minutes to chat with a fit, pretty looking gal is a good pick-me-up for the day.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »
If I grew a beard it would be white. Yes pavan, the trouble with a white beard is it looks like a deer's azz......or throat patch.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2017, 01:04:00 AM »
Just Asbell wool( See Avatar ) and sometimes a First Lite ASAT wool vest over the Asbell pullover. Grey wool pants or those Columbia wool bibs that have a dark green camo pattern to them. That's just for COLD weather hunting though.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »
Sam are you hunting by a college campus?  I have never once had a pretty girl stop and chat while was out hunting.  I did find a pair of pink panties in the woods with some other naughty items, that may have belonged to a pretty girl, but these days you just never know for sure.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2017, 06:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by YosemiteSam:
Sometimes but I try NOT to.  My hunting areas are often along trails that hikers use & I'll often camp near other hikers.  Whether I agree with some of them or not, the fact is simply that this is CA and I'm going to make a lot of folks uncomfortable by being out hunting at all.  Carrying a traditional bow is a lot more friendly looking than carrying a rifle.  Wearing plaids & solid, natural colors is more friendly than wearing camo.  It's not a hard and fast rule but more my rule of thumb.  Brown cargos & a green plaid shirt from REI invites conversation but camo tends to repel others out here.

Sounds petty but 2/3 times, if a couple walks by, it's the wife or girlfriend who asks me if I've seen much or otherwise invites conversation.  That never happened in camo or with a rifle.  Rangers, cowboys, hikers, trail runners are all good folk who share the woods with me.  Besides, if I've gone all day without seeing any deer (pretty common), taking a few minutes to chat with a fit, pretty looking gal is a good pick-me-up for the day.
I don't understand. Those folks you talk about who are uncomfortable with hunting are often more than just uncomfortable.

They put time, energy and money into trying to end your hunting, and for that matter, redefine your whole world. Lots of them don't even want you to eat meat. They are NOT worried about your comfort.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2017, 07:07:00 AM »
Brown or green cargo pants and plaid shirts.  When the temps drop a little, I wear a brown fleece light jacket over the top.  I actually had the brown fleece on when I shot this one, but took it off to trail her.

Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2017, 07:23:00 AM »
I like camo but I don't think it is  better than a good plaid.
What camo has is that it is designed for hunters so it has good features like extra pockets. One thing I look for in hunting clothes is that they don't have to be light reflective like most synthetic fabrics are being wool the very best.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by mgf:
I don't understand. Those folks you talk about who are uncomfortable with hunting are often more than just uncomfortable.

They put time, energy and money into trying to end your hunting, and for that matter, redefine your whole world. Lots of them don't even want you to eat meat. They are NOT worried about your comfort.
Exactly, I hunt in Georgia and Ohio. Both states allow you to carry a handgun (with proper licensing) while bow hunting. That would be the only reason you would need to carry while bow hunting. Neither state has Grizzly bears, wolves, mountain lions or other dangerous "wild" animals requiring firearm protection.
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
I wear plaids, solids and camo, almost all of it in wool.  Don't really have a problem with quality, fading, etc.  I buy good stuff to begin with and it serves me well. Some of my wool is more than 25 years old and still looks almost as good as the day I bought it.

Like Kevin D, I have begun to experiment a bit with some of the newer camo synthetics, mostly for their wind blocking, reduced weight and rain blocking properties.  So far, I'm impressed with the quality and the camo.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©