3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When to field dress?  (Read 684 times)

Offline BUCK-EYE

• Trad Bowhunter
When to field dress?
« on: November 01, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
How many people think when you field dress a deer close to were your stand is does it affect the rest of the deer in your area? Yes or No?

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When to field dress?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
I always do it where they fall. Doesn't seem to bother the other deer at all. The coyotes, crows and possums normaly make quick work of it anyway. IMO anyway im sure others will say different.
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
I've shot one smelling the pile from another twice so my vote is where they fall.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
I don't like to dress them out close to any of my stand locations. Last year i shot a doe  in  the spine of coarse it went right down on the spot. I dragged it quite aways away then dressed it out. That afternoon i sat in the same stand, some does came in, they acted pretty nervous and were sniffing around were the deer laid. There was just a little blood there and they didn't like that at all. I cant even imagine how they would feel about all the blood and entrails in that spot.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline BUCK-EYE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
I was thinking about this on the way into work this morning.My brother shot a nice 9pt out back behind the house.We loaded him up in a wheel barrow(poor mans drag cart)and wheel him up by the house to field dress him.I`m not sure if it spooks them either but I didn`t want to take a chance. Don

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
I have seen one lick the blood off of the ground from where I shot one the day before.  I have also watched them walk right past a pile, with no problems.
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
Had a buck make a scrape a few yards from were I dressed a deer.  Don't seem to bother them so I don't let it bother me. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
If you can get em dressed Fast after the kill then by all means move em. If its a half hour or more then dress em on site, especially in warm weather. I, personally don't think it spooks deer that walk up on a gut pile... but if it makes folks feel better...  well, confidence means everything. LOL
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline CheeseHead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by KILLER B:
I always do it where they fall. Doesn't seem to bother the other deer at all. The coyotes, crows and possums normaly make quick work of it anyway. IMO anyway im sure others will say different.
Ditto....

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
I haven't seen it make any difference at all to the live deer,but I am a firm believer in getting them gutted and cooled out as quick as possible. Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 01:29:00 AM »
I'll cast another vote for right where they drop. Dead stuff and blood are not unusual things where deer live. As Killer B said, other critters make pretty short work of the remains anyway.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 07:28:00 AM »
Deer spooking at the field dressing site are probably smelling the hunter not the blood.
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
I once hunted a stand in North Dakota the day after a buddy of mine shot a deer.  He dressed it within sight, but out of range.  Had a continual parade of deer all morning past that gut pile, including one HUGE 10 pointer.  Seemed like there was morbid curiousity as they all stopped by to look at the pile.  
I was wishing he had dragged the deer back and gutted it UNDER the stand!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 07:47:00 AM »
I always field dress where they fell,it allows the meat to start to cool and makes them alittle easier to drag.Never seen it bother other deer and it usally doesn't last very long from the scavengers.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 08:14:00 AM »
Usually where they fall, but if I can drag them to wear I can roll the guts out, a little downhill, I sometimes do that.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
Haha, I don't have to drag a deer ANYWHERE to find a downhill...I mean uphill, slope! Where I hunt it's ALL slope! I gut 'em where they land. I agree that any nervousness over the site is due to the hunter's scent and not the offal.

I shot a buck during muzzleloader season one year, and while I was dressing it a doe passed within ten yards of us, coming up the hill from downwind. She looked, I stopped moving, but she never spooked. I think the smells coming from him masked mine.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
i shot a doe in the head with my rifle and of course it dropped right there and i stayed in my stand and an hour later deer came in and didnt even pay much attention to it at all...Curtis
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
I like to drag them TO my stand, and do it right under my tree.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
I've heard it wouldn't bother em,BUT I never gut mine in the area wer I'm hunting...& I have my reasons for not doing it...I don't want my neighbors dogs having another reason to be roaming around my hunting area looking for the smell of a gut pile...& some other private places I have to hunt the landower doesn't want me leaving gut piles laying around either...I didn't ask why,it's his land...
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
I generally do it where they drop. Allthough I once drug one to the adjoining land to gut it right under another hunters stand that I didn't much care for.   :D
No matter what type of bow is shot, we're all archers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©