3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 things Howard Hill always carried  (Read 784 times)

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
5 things Howard Hill always carried
« on: May 09, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
knife, file, binos, pliers, talcum powder:

I would propose one more.... a lighter.  I doubt he went anywhere without flame being a regular smoker.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 things Howard Hill always carried
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »
One item that catches my eye is the simple pocket knife. Reflecting back on other pictures of HH I can not recall any showing him with a belt knife or folder worn on the belt. This makes me wonder if he used said pocket knife to gut big game?
Opinions, comments, maybe pictures?

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »
Thinking back to both my father and grandfather, while both owned bigger knives, both routinely used smaller pocket knives as their main knife. My dad regularly used a Swiss Army Knife to completely disassemble animals with.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
In a picture from his African trip he is shown with a large folding knife and the head of a Cape Buffalo. I read somewhere that it was a Tree Brand (Boker) that he got in/from Germany.

Not that that little knife wouldn't do everything you want. I just think he would have preferred the larger knife. Razor sharp of course.

I carry one like it except mine is an Old Timer, has two blades and liner lock. Razor sharp of course.    ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
What? No Hugggies Wet Ones?  I guess I carry that instead of the arrow puller wrench.  My powder can is the little travel size and I use Dr. Schulz foot powder, not quite lillac or lavender scent, but maybe I need something that does double duty anyway. My leatherman covers three of those in the pic.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 02:35:00 PM »
He used the pocket knife as a fulcrum for the pliers with the ferrule channel to help remove broadheads stuck in trees.  

On another note, for deer field dressing all I carry is a folding barlow.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »
To "remove broadheads stuck in trees".  Say it ain't so, not Howard Hill!!!

Must have been pass through's.....
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 09:13:00 PM »
Parallel jaw pliers, I see.  

I use a pair to hold hot glue-on broadheads when attaching.

Must say I never carried talc powder.  But then I never hunted in Africa or California.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 09:16:00 PM »
95% of the deer I've killed have been field dressed with a knife smaller than that and I've never wanted one any bigger. The only time I've used a bigger Knife was symbolic in remembrance of a Trad buddy of mine who built knives with me.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
I add to that a small flashlight, water bottle, paper towels, extra knife, compass, cell phone. Everything in my small canvas Duluth brand shoulder bag
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
Remember an article where said he carried a "pen" knife!
Always carry a pair of locking pliers, vicegrips!
Very handy.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
Small knives rule for every day use.  Big blades have a place, too, but my folders get used daily.   I have sleeves for a file and skinner knife on my quiver.  Did  he use the powder to slicken his glove?  I have seen it done.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 11:04:00 PM »
Roadkill... to make his glove slick. Exactly right. Something John Schulz learned from him and still does to this day.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 01:37:00 AM »
I carry a two blade case pocket knife. Two sharp blades will field quarter a lot of meat.I carry a compass,lighter,toilet paper for more than one reason and two flash lights. I once was coming out of the tree and my only flash light fell to the ground and busted. Its a big deal when your over a mile in the swamp..RC

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 01:37:00 AM »
I also carry a puff bottle with talcom powder and a camera.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
Always have a o light flashlight and a head lamp just in case. I don't like using a folder for game since the channels get filled with gunk and it's hard to clean them. Always carry one though but use my belt knife for game.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »
So how often is the powder used? And where did Howard carry these items? Pockets? Back quiver?

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
extra tab, extra string, knife, file or Lansky carbide sharpener, compass, 550 cord, flagging tape, toilet paper roll, copy of hunting license in ziploc baggy, Pelz headlamp, and water bottle....all go in my little day pack.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
I have stuck three arrows in trees in 50 years of deer hunting.  My first technique is to try to insult them enough so they come out of the tree on their own.  My last one was at a turkey across a narrow deep ravine.  That branch was not there when I made the shot, them trees is evil that way. To make it worse, I couldn't reach the arrow.  I considered cutting the tree down. No arrow gripping device was going help. I did get one out that I shot through a deer using Hill's method. That single bevel Hill went through the deer then buried so deep in a basswood that I ended up cutting a bowling pin chunk of wood out of the tree with head embedded in the chunk. One time with a Deadhead, out of a 90 pound bow, after cussing out the arrow for not hitting cross grain, I kicked it off, leaving the point.  I never hunt in the evening with out packing a good light source. Hunters and poachers around here shoot at moving things in the dark.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©