3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: which point and shoot digital camera?  (Read 447 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
which point and shoot digital camera?
« on: May 10, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
I am looking to purchase a waterproof digital camera to carry in my pocket or haversack while hunting and shooting 3D shoots. I am totally ignorant when it comes to cameras, so I am wondering what you all have had good luck with. I don't have any idea what to look for as far as options, other than maybe a small tripod. I just want something that is waterproof and durable that takes a decent picture. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Re: which point and shoot digital camera?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »
I have a couple professional photographer friends. Both have suggested an iPhone with woods friendly case for this use. I've been given both point and shoots as well as pro-grade digital SLR cameras and honestly like my phone best of all. Only way your going to get significantly better photos than a good phone camera is to also have the bulk and weight of an SLR AND the knowledge/time/inclination to set them up per shot. Also the benefits of a phone are access to GPS apps, internet (checking game online), ballistics info, bird/tree/shrooms ID apps, and emergency communications as needed. I'm all for unplugging when going to the woods but these days I see a smartphone as a pretty handy tool to have stashed in the pack.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »
Hey Mike. I have a couple of waterproof cameras I use when I go stream fishing. I can bring them over if you'd like to take a look. The image they capture aren't any better than what I get on my iphone, but they are much more durable.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 03:58:00 AM »
I am a big fan of my Nikon Coolpix AW 130. waterproof. bullet proof and lots of great features. Takes great photos. great videos. I shoot hunting stuff with it as well as spearfishing footage with it.

Msturm
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 06:44:00 AM »
Hi Mike,

After a bunch of years chasing around outside and photographing everything possible, I'll suggest that waterproofness is an overrated (or at least unneeded) feature in a camera. If that camera is going to be frequently exposed to actual water (used in hard rain, immersed, dunked etc) then maybe it matters. I've carried non-wp cameras for decades and never had a moisture-related failure, even when using them in rainy situations. The same is true for every good camcorder I've ever used afield. Limiting oneself to a wp camera really eliminates a bunch of great choices. Speaking of those...

From experience I can recommend the Lumix ZS60 as a tremendously nice pocket digital for the outdoorsman. It has 24-720mm Leica lens and I can tell you it WILL take telephoto images that amaze. I would not hesitate to make this my primary camera and use it in all endeavors aside from actual immersion.

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
I live in SE Alaska, we get a LOT of rain. Water/weatherproof is something I look for. An Olympus TG4 should be the ticket for what you are describing. Got one for the Missus a couple years ago, handy little rig.
Takes good pictures, relatively easy to use, not delicate. You have a bit of zoom with it, but definitely not a superzoom camera. But still pocket size, maybe a tiny bit bigger..

DSLR, you get into more weatherproof bodies, sky's the limit for lenses,and expense..

A good mirrorless system might be a happy compromise, jump up in weight from a point and shoot, lighter,usually, than a DSLR, also with a good lense selection.

Some weatherproof bridge cameras out there, Fuji, Panasonic, and such, would get a bigger, more zoom,wider angle lens than the TG4 or similar. Be a little more expensive, bigger body..

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
^^ Kevin has it right Lumix ZS60- an awesome camera and a $25.00 waterproof pelican case that fits camera well is hard to beat. I've hauled mine around the world and never had an issue. That pelican case floats as well with camera in it. Most good camera shops stock the smaller pelican cases.
hunt it

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
I can suggest what not to buy -- a Sony Cybershot.  It's a fairly expensive point and shoot, about $350.  The two I had were high pixel and good telephoto and both took good pictures, but they both quit working in under three years.  In both cases, I was told the parts to fix it were no longer made and/or that it would cost more to fix it than to buy a new camera.  The service folks never seemed to be sure which.

I now have a Canon Power Shot.  Not as many bells and whistles, but less expensive, and zoom and picture quality is just as good.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 09:16:00 PM »
My android S6 active phone is waterproof and takes pictures at least as good ans probably better then my wifes 5 year okd Cannon Rebel

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
For foul weather and underwater pictures/video of fish I use a relative inexpensive Fuji XP, under $200 @ Costco.  It takes pictures comparable my cell phone, is more durable, and less expensive to replace.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 10:18:00 PM »
Thanks to all for the input. Gives me some options to look into. Anyone else...?
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 02:24:00 AM »
I get a different camera every 2-4 years. Instead of waterproof ones I get good point and shoot ones and put in small waterproof roll top bags that are advertised for phones etc. They don't provide the drop protection of a hard case but they weigh almost nothing and cost 10 or 15 bucks. Right now I've got a Canon G16.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 05:43:00 AM »
I've got a an Olympus TG (waterproof, tough and easy to use) which is a no-brainer choice for general adventures. Many of my better pics came from it. What it lacks for me is the ability to be creative and also take longer tele photos. I really prefer a long lens when hunting, as most wildlife photo ops usually don't happen up close.

As for non-wp cameras, I simply slip them into a small flannel bag with a drawcord closure, and then into my pocket. If it decides to be really wet that day I might employ a ziplock baggie. That's all the protection my cameras have ever needed on a hunt.

One more thing: some of the better quality point/shoot style cameras are offering some really high quality video capabilities. They lack the stability of a true camcorder, but you can still get some really valuable video clips when opportunities happen.

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 10:37:00 PM »
I've had Oympus cameras. They are good. I also have a Fuji XP and it is a good camera also. Can submerge it and take underwater pics and video.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 10:18:00 PM »
i've had a gaggle of digital cameras and digital camcorders, including nikon, canon, samsung, olympus and go-pro.  the best do-it-all 1080p-60 hi-def image and video camera is the new sjcam-5000x elite for $127, waterproof case, shockproof, super small, does both wide and narrow angle and the imaging is superb.  it's even got built-in wifi.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 04:57:00 AM »
Thanks everyone, I'm in need of a new point and shoot, compact, high def digital camera too. And I'm shopping for a new palm recorder too. I'm going to buy separate cameras to get a little better options for the job the camera is going to do.
Keep the suggestions coming. This will help so we can produce more entertaining traditional bowhunting material.

Offline sightsee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 06:00:00 AM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©