3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Changes coming for Tradgang.....  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Changes coming for Tradgang.....
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
I hope the change won't be too radical, but I will be glad to see an easier method of adding pictures. Will the screen layout be similar to the new black powder forum? If so, all will be well for me, as I like it.
Sam

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2017, 12:00:00 PM »
anyone can get a taste of the forthcoming trad gang forum software by simply checking out  www.BlackPowderGang.com  - it's so much exactly the same as it is here, but loaded with more features that can be used, should you choose.  other than that, it's still about posting.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
While this forum is a bit long in tooth...it is still a far cry more user friendly than its main competitor that has been around a little longer...ESPECIALLY when it comes to adding photographs and editing posts...  :)

Rob does a great job....
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Matabele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2017, 03:41:00 AM »
The thing I like most about Trad Gang is the atmosphere, it's just a nice place to hang out and browse through the forums. I'm a member on a lot of other forums and some of them just seem cold and uninviting in a lot of ways. So if you could replicate the layout,and "feel" that would be great.    :thumbsup:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ken Taylor:
Wow... that's more than I would have thought... and I can actually understand most of what he wrote, LOL!
Yes.... when we stopped to think about it we saw how far behind we actually are.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
It would be handy if you didn't have to wait for a reply to send another pm imho
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2017, 11:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by ozy clint:

Originally posted by KSshrewman:
This format may have age to it....but it sure is the easiest to use that am aware of. Well done obviously.   Personally I like the current site.  upgrades are nice....but hope we don't lose the ciurrent flavor.  Either way...I trust it will be great.
x2. Perhaps a few modern features but I like tradgang just the way it is. [/b]
X3
I have no trouble posting pics either.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Dave Nash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2017, 07:04:00 PM »
More photo posting  options would be great. Good luck.
Dave
Great Plains t/d longbow 64"46@28
A&H acs 64"41@28
Stalker Coyote 64"43@28
Wapiti  Spike 66"47@28

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
I too would like to see easier/direct picture posting.

Offline foambeetle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »
To echo a few previous comments . . .
Tapatalk compatible would be GREAT (this cannot be overstated, I don't think).

In any event, thanks for a great site.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2017, 08:58:00 PM »
Frankly, I don't really care about the format.  I'm just interested in the exchange of ideas that happen.  However, I have my roots in the 20th century, and have to defer to a new generation.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2017, 07:27:00 AM »
Never had an issue with posting pix, but software goes obsolete rather quickly these days and that in itself causes issues.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2017, 09:08:00 AM »
I didn't read all the suggestions but mine would be to make it easier to post photos. I am tech challenged and too old to learn.

in order for me to post a photo for the give away on St Judes I had to send an email photo to someone and they sent me back a link that I copied to post the photo.  I know if it was easier for me I would post more for the give away.

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »
Terry....

I'm a member of a local outdoor forum here in MI.  A couple of years ago they ran into the same situation...they needed to upgrade to a current message board because the old one was loosing it's tech support.

During that switch over, they tried using Tapatalk.  The issue with Tapatalk is that they had no way to implement their advertisements for revenue, or the go go juice that keeps that specific forum running.  Much like this one, it's obvious that this forum is kept running for it's members by the generous support of the advertisers here(which is why alot of users specifically request recommendations from forum sponsors).  Anyways, they developed a similar tapatalk app called OutdoorHub.  If at all possible, I'd look at that app hosting service for a mobile platform rather than tapatalk(even though I'm a huge user of taptalk).  They can accomodate individual forums and ad banners to utilize those individual forum sponsors so you don't lose revenue with the mobile format user.  They also allow for forums with paid subs that grant access to certain forums like the classifieds here.  Some things like subscribing to the forum still requires a desktop, but the trend is moving more towards mobile users.  

Don't worry, we're all still trad...but to stay efficient with the sharing of ideas in an increasingly mobile use world...compatibility with mobile forum apps are a must.  

Just a thought.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »
bryan,

mobile integration is absolutely one of our concerns.  

too bad the mobile device designers and manufacturers didn't care that their devices were never going to be compatible with REAL computers and only thought about the money first and foremost.  but that's water long gone past under the bridge, and why there are SO many issues with interactive websites and mobile devices.

anyhoo, SMF2.0 is reasonably mobile friendly, and the forthcoming SMF2.1 will be as mobile friendly as any forum software, at any price point cost.

all of this is meaningless until, unless, *IF* we can migrate to new, "modern" forum software.  at this point, it's definitely not a done deal.  converting old flat file systems over to mysql relational database systems is not an easy row to hoe ....
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

all of this is meaningless until, unless, *IF* we can migrate to new, "modern" forum software.  at this point, it's definitely not a done deal.  converting old flat file systems over to mysql relational database systems is not an easy row to hoe ....
Just a thought about the pain or the need to convert the data....

I get there is a lot of data on this site, but...I would say the value-proposition of this site is a good place to converse on the topic of tradition hunting and not the data.  For example, look how often folks ask the same questions over and over and never search.  And the search engine on this site is a good one to boot.  Additionally, very seldom  does someone bring an old topic forward to continue the conversation either.

So ease of conversation may be the driver of the new site vs. the value of the  data.  Just think about it is all as I would hate to see the site not modernize (it needs it bad - sorry) because the existing data conversation challenge was too onerous.

Thanks for asking for our opinion, and  thanks in advance for all your hard work on this...

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by lt-m-grow:

Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

Just a thought about the pain or the need to convert the data....

I get there is a lot of data on this site, but...I would say the value-proposition of this site is a good place to converse on the topic of tradition hunting and not the data.  For example, look how often folks ask the same questions over and over and never search.  And the search engine on this site is a good one to boot.  Additionally, very seldom  does someone bring an old topic forward to continue the conversation either.

So ease of conversation may be the driver of the new site vs. the value of the  data.  Just think about it is all as I would hate to see the site not modernize (it needs it bad - sorry) because the existing data conversation challenge was too onerous.

Thanks for asking for our opinion, and  thanks in advance for all your hard work on this... [/b]
I hear what you're saying but let's take in consideration all the brace height threads there are no pictures very little text have very few answers yes they're asked over and over but they are a drop in the bucket to the wealth of information that truly needs to be moved a search could be done for the word brace and all those can be deleted same thing for other numerous topics that get asked but there's way too much viable information just to start over I hope y'all can comprehend that

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
And please don't take that as combative there's a lot of work to be done and a lot of pruning could be done of those frivolous Topix before the move

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2017, 06:54:00 AM »
It would be nice to have a section that would allow people to meet locally.  For example, I live hours away from any traditional organization.  I would love to be able to meet others around me that want to shoot or organize hunts together. .....or , maybe this already exists and I am not aware of it.

Dan

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2017, 01:06:00 PM »
Oldrub....just make a post on the PowWow, no worries.

And, we will continue to keep Tradgang as intended, where people can get real information from experienced people from all realms of hunting  and shooting with the TradBow!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©