3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hogs... Danderous Game???  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: hogs... Danderous Game???
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
I have to have a little fun with one of my best buds who posted on page 1......

Did you run or not since your 1st post on this thread????     :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
I have no idea what yur talkin' about    :dunno:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ww_cottonmouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
I hunt pigs in east texas on a daily basis. I have had them tree me, charge me, and even take me down. They can be very dangerous if you are not careful. 99% will run but there's that one that wont. A sow with pigs is very dangerous if you crowd her and the pigs. I'm not saying to be afraid just be cautious. Respect them. You never know what they will do. I even shot one boar that ran into the brush and waited on me to come look. He just had to have that one last shot.   :archer2:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
Curt,....let me refresh your memory.....

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
A hunt none of us will ever forget bud...hog fight #2!!!

I'm up for hog fight #3....you?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline borderlander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
So reading all this. Would you guys put them up with game like black bears or mountain lion? Can be nasty but really takes a special animal to be really dangerous?
I shoot a little to the left no matter what I do. except of course for the ones that hit to the right or high. the ones that land in the dirt a foot in front of the target sometimes bug me.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by borderlander:
So reading all this. Would you guys put them up with game like black bears or mountain lion? Can be nasty but really takes a special animal to be really dangerous?
I'd be a lot more scared of an angry bear or lion than a hog.

I'd say more in the category of pissed off dairy cow, only smaller. You don't wana get kicked or bit or run over. That's about the worst that can happen.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
One of our TG Brothers, Sam Stephens, told me about an "interesting" hog hunt where the charge left Sam with a broken leg and a dead pig close at hand.
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
Hey Terry, I saw where you thought deer were not dangerous. When I was about 5 I had a great uncle get killed by a deer. He shot it and went down to gut it, well it was not dead. It kicked and the hoaf caught him in the head (you could see the print) and killed him. Freak accident but his bother found him laying dead on top of the dead deer. Food for thought. Any wonded animal is dangerous! Make sure they are dead.
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
As was stated above..any wounded animal can be dangerous, even a raccoon or squirrel. The odds of something bad happening with a hog vs a mountain lion or bear are slim at best.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline NateDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
I consider them dangerous. I was charged by a sow with piglet on a hunt.

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
eny thing that comes after you, can be dangerous.
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by rastaman:
As was stated above..any wounded animal can be dangerous, even a raccoon or squirrel. The odds of something bad happening with a hog vs a mountain lion or bear are slim at best.
I hear ya Randy....but let me ask you this....

How many folks do you know that were injured or kill by a lion or bear?

How many folks do you know that have been cut by hogs?

I know a lot of folks that have been hurt by hogs, and some of those the hog was not injured.

See what I mean?....I bear hunt but never been chased by a bear, but I have been charged twice by hogs.  I've also never been charged by a coon or squirrel.

Remember Barry Wensels incident with those hogs?  He ended up in a prickly pear ...with a broke arm.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tyler2045:
Hey Terry, I saw where you thought deer were not dangerous. When I was about 5 I had a great uncle get killed by a deer. He shot it and went down to gut it, well it was not dead. It kicked and the hoaf caught him in the head (you could see the print) and killed him. Freak accident but his bother found him laying dead on top of the dead deer. Food for thought. Any wonded animal is dangerous! Make sure they are dead.
Yeah Tyler....freak accident....not a malicious intent of the animal, nor attack...just the animal railing as it lay dieing.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
A hog can be scary to the extent that if they watch you shoot them it's possible they might charge- hogs, like deer and people and every other mammal I know all display different personalities.

I've seen great big bucks be submissive with smaller bucks, and I see other big bucks kick the snot out of all others big and small.

I've seen great big hogs run like a scalded dog at the mere sight of me, and others stand their ground, snorting and head bobbing at me, and coming toward me.

I've only been charged twice in a lot of years- once by a 40 lber who got mad cause I ran his girlfriends off...and by a 130-140 lb sow that had been shot twice by another hunter (poorly) so when I shot her she was looking at me and instantly thought she knew where all her troubles emenated from and charged me- head butting me....long story why I was down at her level to start with but regardless..it was interesting.

I don't generally consider hogs dangerous unless you're hemming them up with dogs- which I don't do- but there's always the odd chance something will go wrong.

That's why its exciting, don't you know?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline tso115

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
if it can charge/hurt you, it's dangerous... obviously not bear dangerous, but a pig will mess you up if it gets ahold of you.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Bob Wesley told me about a hog hunt where his guide had 2 dogs maimed for life before Bob could get off his first shot.  On a later hunt he had a hog charge him 3 different times.  In Hunting the hard way Howard Hill talks about going out to a California island to hunt hogs and he indicated tehy were charging and injuring people.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline jimsbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
I consider wild hogs as potentially dangerous as black bear; or even more so.  The dangerous ones are determined by personality, more so than size.  When struck with an arrow, most often they will light a shuck, but you must also be aware that the odd one will turn and sort you out, you just never know which one that will be.  I try to make a mental note of a low branched tree close by if still hunting when possible, but any type of obstacle to step behind is good as they will seldom turn back on you and will continue in the same direction if unable to hook you.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
One thing that i think a lot of us forget is how intelligent hogs are so much so that they have personalities. Nine times out of ten they are just like any other wild animal, they just don't want to be in the same place you are and will get the heck out of dodge. Some can be just plane mean, some can just be having a bad day and will look for a fight. How many other animals when hit by an arrow will spin around and try to find out where it came from looking for retaliation? Are they lions, no, are they cape buffalo, no. Even after 35 some odd years of chasing them i still watch my back.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
To each his own , I do a lot of hog hunting ,truth be told I hunt hogs almost every week if Im home here in Texas. I have been charged many times over the years , I have been cut 3 times , and both bones in my left leg were broken by a boar. I have been up several trees with a mad hog under me wanting a piece of my hide. Most hogs were wounded ( the one that broke my leg was not , after the fact he was ).Hogs aint no pushovers in my book and when push comes to shove they will shove. Maybe I just hunt to much and put myself in the wrong place at the right time..........
,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©