3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hogs... Danderous Game???  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hogs... Danderous Game???
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
Yeah, well,

I guess if you've never fought a boar off with the end of your longbow, or if you've never been charged by boars for no reason whatsoever, you might think boars aren't a tad bit dangerous.

If you have never experienced either of those things, I am guessing you hunt east of the Rockies.

Farther east than California, and WAY, WAY farther east than the Northern Territory of Australia.

If that's the case, head west man, head west.

Sneak up on a big northern California boar with more Russian blood in him than Feral, and you may get a real awakening.

I will share one story with you. Someone else will need to share the next.

In the middle of our winter (early March) I drove with some friends from Idaho to Northern California, which took about 16 hours. It was spring there, prime time for boar hunting.

We set up our camp, and off we went. Several days later, no one had seen a pig. Seems we timed it wrong.

A day or so later, the last day before we had to drive back north to the snow country, the sun was beginning to set to the west. I was sitting on a high, wet, grassy hillside, all alone, glassing for pigs until my eyes were almost bleeding.

Then, a long ways below me I heard it, two boars fighting. Unmistakeable.

I ran downhill as fast as I could, and about fifteen minutes later, I stopped, listened, and there they were----a herd of 15 to 30, walking quickly from my left to my right, about 25 yards below me. I had about four minutes of shooting light left in the darkening sky.

Two boars were in the group, and they were ripping the hell out of each other. Nasty running gun battle, and the blood was flowing.

. . . in my veins as well as the two fighting boars.

I had to squint to  see well enough to shoot, and the two fighting boars were 15 yards too far away to shoot at in this light, so I picked a smaller boar that was in good shooting range, drew back, aimed tight, aimed some more, then sent a heavy arrow through his lungs as he trotted along with the herd. The sound of the hit was unmistakeable.

30 minutes later, I set up the tripod in the dark to take some still photographs, and in the process, I heard the two boars once again fighting, and they were coming my way in complete blackness. I put the camera down, switched on my flashlight, and there there were, 15 yards away across a small creek (right behind the boar in the attached photo).

Both boars stopped, looked at me, and charged immediately. I was already jumping back when I realized the rushing creek had stopped them. A minute or so later, they again started laying hooks into each other and moved off down hill in full battle.

Whew!

I finished taking the pictures, then gutted and started skinning the boar I had shot.

Oh? What's that I hear? Two boars fighting their way towards me, this time on my side of the creek. THIS TIME I put a large fallen redwood tree trunk between myself and the approaching fight, and when they were about 10 yards away, I turned on the flashlight. Again, they stopped, then both charged. The only thing that stopped them was the huge Redwood tree trunk I was standing (er, well, cowering) behind.

As you can see in the photo, it was pitch black, and I can assure you if I had not had a fast-running creek, or a huge Redwood tree trunk to stop them, these two mostly Russian Californian boars in full fight mode would have left more than a few marks on me.

I had done nothing to provoke them, other than being on their mountain.

That's one incident, it's someone else's turn now.

P.S. Large California Russian-mixed boars are as different from the smaller typical southern feral boars as zoo-raised grizzly bears are from high-mountain grizzly bears.

There's a big difference, but you've got to experience it to know it. Go west man, go west.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
Are feral hogs dangerous? Sure! Even a squirrel is dangerous if you stuff him in your pants.

It all depends on the circumstances. Corner a hog, where through you is the only way out, you better look out. Are there pigs wandering around in the scrub brush looking for people to attack, no.

There was a gentleman near where I used to live who was killed by his penned deer. Yes, I know, in a pen. Like I said it all depends on the circumstances.

If we go into the woods looking to poke something with a sharp stick, we shouldn't be suprised if they want to poke us back. Just need to be aware of what's going on and keep our wits about us. I figure there are just as many "It came after me" stories as there are "saw one and it kept on going" stories.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
Other then the actual predators (lion, bears, wolves, etc...) I think feral hogs and wild boar are the most dangerous.  I have to admit this is just from my reading (not real world) but they seem very aggressive and I have seen a domestic hog pull a goat under a fence and eat it while it was still alive and saw that same hog chase a teenaged girl out of the pen after taking a couple of snaps at her.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
Nah, you guys are all wrong. No one in their right might thinks a big angry boar could be dangerous.

This photo of a friend of a friend in Australia shows that that wild boars are just like big loveable puppies. They couldn't hurt a fly.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2010, 04:05:00 AM »
Its pretty simple really, as a Game animal that is dangerous...yes Absolutely, right up there compared to most game in certain circumstances!

But as far is fitting in the "Dangerous Game" Category  
such as Lion, Leopard, Buffalo, hippo, elephant, Grizz, Polar bear

..No
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Guess it depends on your perspective.  I don't think jumping out of airplanes is dangerous, neither is riding a Harley in DC traffic.  If you are used to something it just seems normal. Now being a single man on the dating scene....VERY dangerous...;-)
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline texas woody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Rik,
that is one cool experience, I guess I have been lucky so far as the hogs we have gone after have had a way out other than through me. We did have an experience were my son missed his shot and mine grazed the pigs front leg. this pig cricled and came in twice before he made his exit.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
Mike....I'm use to hog hunting, and its normal, and I respect them.  Never worry about whitetails charging me.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Terry

I probably should respect them more. My closest encounter was at FT Stewart in 98.  We would do 12 mile road marchs down the tank trails.  At the turn around point we would place a junior NCO in a HMMWV with a radio.  I was getting reports of a boar chasing the troops. Good intel!! I went after that raascal!! One evening 3 sows with piglets were feeding along the edge of the trail right at dark at the turn around point. Out of the palmettos about 100 yards out came a thin but old black boar with long cutters.  He saw me right off on the elavated tank trail and started right for me growling and popping his teeth and shaking his head.  I kept sneaking towards him with a snuffer tipped nitro stinger on the string(your recommend, if you remember) Well he kept coming and I kept coming....we got about 20 yards and I was hoping he would keep coming until I had a shot..at about 18yds I still only had head, and a lightbulb went on in his head. I swear his expression changed when he figured out I was not running and was about ready to give him a snuffer from my 77# Ferguson. He wheeled and made it the 100 yards faster than a spooked whitetail. I was REALLY dissapointed he did not try me out, I would have stuck him at point blank range.  I guess he was used to the troops running when he postured.  One thing life on the farm taught, when you act like your are in charge, the animals think you are in charge. Act afraid or run when challenged, the animal will know they are in charge.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline cohutta orange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
Michael thanks for your service. We wouldn't be able to do all this trad stuff if it werent for people like you. God bless
Shoot straight and keep the heads keen

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
I hear ya Mike....I've had my share of 'Mexican stand offs' as well.  

I respect them more when its a big boar I've slipped up on in his sanctuary.  I've been within 5-10 yards of a half dozen at least that were cussing me out, and I couldn't even see them, just the trees and bushes shaking.  

Haven't had one break toward me yet, but I'm fully considering that they could at any moment.

It is a fun rush for sure....just be careful out there.  I know another guy(non-hunter) that got treed in an apple orchard by a huge boar, and he got tired of waiting for it to leave and finally shot it with his pistol.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline string bean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
Back when I was younger and into the Ninja craze, I'd dress head to toe in ninja gear, get on all fours, grunt and crawl in amongst 'em with my $5 "Rambo" knife mom bought for me off TV.  Never did connect but got OH so close.  Dang they're quick!
It's not about the kill but the experience.

Omega Royal Huntsman
Crowned Eagle
Black Hunter
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Yep...if a human will walk on all fours, and 'graze' at an angle tacking like a sail boat he can get real close to a lot of animals.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
HA!....I knew that hogs were considered 'small game' in GA.....just I just leaned Turkeys were 'Big Game'.....TOO FUNNY

Maybe we should add turkeys as dangerous game.   :biglaugh:

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
Hey Terry,

You better watch out for those "Killer Gobblers"!

Some of those dudes can get ya. Pretty interesting thread.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline JCAMPBELL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
I shot a boar last Friday and as I was crawling around following the blood trail I ran across these guys. Although I wouldn't classify hogs as dangerous game, had I picked one of these little guys up and made it squeal It would have probably made for a long night.

Bear Super Kodiak
Black Widow PSAII 58"
Black Widow PSAII 60"
Cold Mountain Long Bow
Fox High Sierra

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
I was at Bob Wesley's this week and he showed me some video of a hog hunt.  The hog charged him 3 times and ran into him twice (once injuring his leg) and you could tell by the reaction of the cameraman (he ran away twice) there was some tension in the air.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
Fellow Northwest Bowhunter,

Oh Mannnnn! I have that same video. Bob sent it to me way, way back when I was publishing Instinctive Archer Magazine. A helluva hunt, eh?

That little video clip probably has a lot to do with why I am going to spend a full month in far northern Australia this summer, living in a small tent and hunting big, bruiser boars with heavy wood arrows.

I blame Bob. I would have been a normal, sane elk hunter totally content to limit myself to the Rocky Mountains if not for him sending me that video clip years ago. Been a big-boar addict ever since.

(Not to mention a Hill-bow fanatic)

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
Fellow Northwest Bowhunter,

Oh Mannnnn! I have that same video. Bob sent it to me way, way back when I was publishing Instinctive Archer Magazine. A helluva hunt, eh?

That little video clip probably has a lot to do with why I am going to spend a full month in far northern Australia this summer, living in a small tent and hunting big, bruiser boars with heavy wood arrows.

I blame Bob. I would have been a normal, sane elk hunter totally content to limit myself to the Rocky Mountains if not for him sending me that video clip years ago. Been a big-boar addict ever since.

(Not to mention a Hill-bow fanatic)

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
Derned double posts!

They're almost as bad as a boar that charges twice. Three times? Ooooh, not much fun there. . . been there, done that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©