3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone have major injuries and can't shoot anymore  (Read 781 times)

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone have major injuries and can't shoot anymore
« on: May 13, 2017, 05:07:00 PM »
Hi, anyone here have had injuries that were so significant that you can't shoot anymore ? I think I'm almost their, now what ?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone have major injuries and can't shoot anymore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 05:12:00 PM »
Valley...,  Not enough info (not trying to be nosy) but there are "para archers" that shoot with foot on the bow and using a "chew strap."  Not saying that there is not a point where archery becomes untenable but...

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 05:31:00 PM »
I had a shoulder injury in the Corp. couldn't pull a bow back for awhile but I went to physical therapy and learned as much as I could about the anatomy of my shoulder so I could get stronger and shoot again. It's been 10 years now.Also have some fractured  vertebraes in my spine and starting out with a 30# bow I was able to work myself up from there. Most of my bows now are 30-55# and I have no issues and never had to have surgery which is what they wanted. I also drink apple cider vinegar daily and that helps with inflammation and swelling when I do get pain. You have to start from low poundage and just work yourself up. Lots of good info out there on treating injuries. Good luck to you.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 06:29:00 PM »
I tore both elbow tendons in '09 and '12, had surgery and came back strong as ever with no residual effects. What is your injury?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline DMM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »
Sometimes it just takes a while to get everything back, have patience with physical therapy. I went through a similar issue. I had cervical spine surgery, artificial disk and titanium plates and screws now hold my neck together. 1 year later I went through surgery to repair a 90% rotator cuff tear and a ruptured bicep tendon. It took two years but I'm back shooting 60+ lb bows.
"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me."
Genesis 27:3

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
Lots of injuries, many set me back...but I always find a way.
Currently almost back to normal when I was told I would never shoot a trad bow again.(shoulder injuries since healed 100%)
(recently fractured my left hand....dammit)
But drawing low poundage already.....
David M. Conroy

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »
No, but I have had some that required significant lay off time and permanent reduction in draw weight.

Have you had the doctor evaluate your situation? Perhaps physical therapy might help. Good luck.
Sam

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
I shot with a guy in the North American Longbow Safari a few years back with one arm   He used a leather strap in his teeth to draw. Shoulder and neck are giving me much trouble, but I dropped weight and do exercises,including yoga, to keep what I have.  You may have to find a work around, but shooting is very relaxing do not give up
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
Thought I was in trouble in 08, accident complete tear of bicep, 95% tear of tricep, 75% tear of lat, slap tear and most tendons ruined on my pulling arm. Took 7 anchors and several pins to pull and put everything back together but it worked.

Surgery in May and completed every painful PT they could throw at me. Built a few light weight bows through out the summer one handed, started slow, very slow by the end of October. Killed a coyote, a doe and a great buck in December. Took me a while but I worked my way right back up to my regular poundage bows mid to upper 50's and have never had any problems.

Like said above what kind of problems are you having? Maybe there's something you can do, maybe not. I'm stubborn but not stupid I give my surgeon all the credit.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 12:47:00 AM »
going to have quad bypass on the 30th  we'll see how long it take the breast bone to heal.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 01:45:00 AM »
Guys, I have had 3 rotator cuff repairs. 2 on the left 1 on right. AC joint removal on the right, both biceps are detatched. A broken neck has given me a cervical fusion  and a herniated disk below it. 4 herniated disks in my back along with a broken vertebra,  fractured hip amongst others. Seems like every year it's something,  always wondering when enough is enough. I've had all the PT I can, I'm about the best I'm going to get I am told. I guess I'm just getting down with all the injuries  and getting old. ...lol sure does Slow ya down

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 07:44:00 AM »
That new Silvertip u have on order should motivate u.  Shes gonna be sweet.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by DesertDude:
going to have quad bypass on the 30th  we'll see how long it take the breast bone to heal.
I had a heart valve replacement in March of 2013, it takes a while to heal enough to even think about pulling a hunting bow. I was pulling kids bows and up to 40lbs by fall but hunted with the smoke pole that season. To light for my liking but know big deal I healed up fine and got used to it, I was ready by turkey season and pulling 57#.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 09:26:00 AM »
Man that's tough.  May start with just a couple pounds and see how much movement you have. If you can work your way up to 30, that's a good shooting bow with matched arrows.  If not, you'll just have to make that decision do you wanna quit or try other types of bows. Good luck !!!
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
I lost a year with a torn rotator cuff and bone spur. Surgery made it like new.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »
Good luck Gary. I'll be back soon. Hopefully you are well enough to shoot together.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 01:41:00 PM »
Valley, you may have to drop way down in weight to shoot 3-D and targets. For hunting you may have to go to the ole crossbow. I'd do that before giving up entirely.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline valleysniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
I guess I'll have to get used to shooting less arrows that's all
 Used to be able to shoot 50-100 per day.  Now if I get 36 in I'm doing good

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
I had a lot of work done on my shoulder eight months ago. My collarbone had to be cut back, bicep tendon reattached and rotator cuff sewn in  a number of places. I'm at a point where I'm shooting with a hunting weight bow again.

I'm not sure what your injuriy is, but you'll be surprise what you can come back from with the proper therapy and/or surgery.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »
I shoot every other day now. Give those muscles a rest, just like weight lifting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©