3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gearing Up for a Large Boar -- Help from Experienced Hog Hunters Needed  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ps.. Pat knows what he's talking about!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
I had zero penetration issues on this #22.5 brute! Went through him like hot butter!!!

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
That is some fine eating there, Daniel!
USMC 1997-2005

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
I was thinking of getting some Atrow Dynamics Hammerhead Traditionals or Black Eagle Instincts, building up the FOC, and using a Zwickey No Mercy.
USMC 1997-2005

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
FOC is great, but I really haven't found much benefit in soft tissue with a well tuned arrow.  No matter what shaft you chose, tuning is key.  A straight flying arrow will out penetrate a poorly flying arrow almost no matter what FOC or total weight that you shoot.  That is probably more important if you you intend on hitting bone.

Really liking those Black Eagle shafts.

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
I do not intend to hit the shoulder, but plan for the worst and hope for the best. I don't want to be 15 yards away from a poorly shot boar that size.

I might try an electronic call with piglets in distress sounds. When I killed some shoats last month my dad saw the boar and he said he was running towards where I shot them. I ran out of ammo and vacated the area immediately. Good thing I did, but that might be the way to pull him out of thick into the open.
USMC 1997-2005

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Anything that you do to make the boar alert will make it that much more unlikely for you to get a good shot off, IMHO, but I have never tried that tactic.

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
I wish tannerite arrows were a thing.
USMC 1997-2005

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ha!

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
While I'm certainly far from being an expert. I did harvest a 250lb hog with a 52# Blacktail Sitka, 2117 shafts with a Zwickey 160gr " no mercy " head. This setup appeared to be more than adequate.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pat has given you a lot of great info.  I would add that old pressured boars should be considered as a different species than just average hogs.  

I have chased them for over 40  years and this is what my experience tells me.  Do not shoot monster boars with any conical broad head.  A broad head that will pinch right through a 175 piggy will often fail terribly on an old shielded boar.    A 2" thick shield will severely decrease penetration on many 3 and 4 blade heads.    A 2 blade head will cut through a shield without any issues.  Shoot a heavy arrow and get as close to 50 pounds on the bow if you can.  Penetration is critical when you are shooting an animal that is 24"+ thick if you are going to cause multi system failure.  This is important because  the blood trail will likely be sparse at best and nonexistent from a tree stand.

Get a string tracker.   Let me repeat that... Get a string tracker.  

Hunting  giant hogs (300 pounds plus) is a totally different game than "shooting pigs".  Put pressure on him and he will be gone for weeks.  A 5+ year old boar is the smartest animal on this planet.  NOTHING gets me more fired up more than hunting  a ghost boar.  

If this boar has been night hunted before I would  recommend a light system  that is NOT bow mounted.  Where legal, a stationary light controlled with a dimmer switch is the way to go.  I have tried every color and I always come back to red on the big old boars.  

Putting the sneak on a giant boar in most conditions that he will choose to bed may well be impossible.  I can tell you that if you  bust him out of his security area, he will likely be gone forever.  I personally would find his preferred exit and or travel routes.   Think of it this way... someone tries to rob you on the way to the store vs someone trying to rob you inside your home- which would have the most adverse impact on your future actions?

If you have not read this story, give it a read.  There are some good lessons  included that will help you understand what you are up against.  

Good luck.  

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=142916;p=1

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
All my hogs were killed with 60-70# bows AND 3 and 4 blade heads.....with pass throughs.....with a 585 grain arrow.

Not sure what you can handle...but you need to be accurate 1st...period.  What weight are you comfortable shooting accurately and at what draw length?

And lets remember the shield...you have to get plenty of penetration passed it...and if he has a 1.5 inch shield if you hunt him from above or make a quartering away shot his shield will be thicker from that angle....more like 2 inches.

Lots of variables ....give us some more info.

And I'm sure you have checked out the HOG SHOT PLACEMENT thread?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for responding, Jerry, and sharing the story of Kong. It really puts things into perspective for me and reinforces why I decided to hunt with traditional bows. I hope to be fortunate enough to have a similar experience in my life.

As for this boar, he is extemely wary. I only have pictures of him from one night and it took him a full hour to travel 40 yards once in range of the camera to the opening of the baited trap. Every good ol boy within a 20 mile radius has hunted these hogs day and night with rifles, thermal scopes, dogs, and traps. This boar has only been seen a handful of times by anyone that I know who has been hunting hogs in our area. I believe he is holding up in a swamp that is located near our land but it is impossible to get to it quietly. I will use some of your approaches this weekend to see if I can get a fix on his travel routes.

I will look into getting all the gear you recommend and I may be able to rig a light up to get him but I am not hopeful. I may have to wait for the next full moon.
USMC 1997-2005

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for replying, Terry. I have looked over the shot placement thread several times. I currently have a Red Wing Hunter recurve at 50# that I draw to 26". I shoot that very easily and can drill a tennis ball out to 15 and a pie plate out to 25. I think I could easily move up to 55 and maybe 60 or even 65. I am in good shape and my form is getting better every day since I switched to the Hill-style method. I work on shooting every day with a light poundage bow but I am concerned about the Red Wing not having enough power for this particular hog.

Ok, I will be honest with you guys in a way I will not be with my wife: I want a new bow and I want it to be a longbow, preferably with a lot of power. This hog is just really a good reason to get it.  Do not tell her I said that.

I want something short, maneuverable, and powerful. Even with a gun, I rarely ever have shot over ten yards on my land. It is just thick and I hunt from the ground almost exclusively. Pat put my mind at ease about worrying about a boar charging me. I am ready to go after him.

I appreciate all the  information you and anyone else on this forum is willing to take the time to share.
USMC 1997-2005

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh, Jerry, I live in Georgia so short of shooting from a vehicle, I can do practically anything I want to kill hogs. That was stated again for us at the last city council meeting by our chief of police.

With that in mind, let me know what you think might work. Thanks again.
USMC 1997-2005

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh, Jerry, I live in Georgia so short of shooting from a vehicle, I can do practically anything I want to kill hogs. That was stated again for us at the last city council meeting by our chief of police.

With that in mind, let me know what you think might work. Thanks again.
USMC 1997-2005

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
I've killed a few big hogs. Most with my 52#@26" Recurve
A couple with my 47@26" Longbow. I only shoot 2 blade heads and 10-11gpp arrows.
Like said it's better to shoot a lighter weight bow that you are very accurate with than to shoot a heavy bow that your not accurate with.  
Good luck!
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have to admit I cringed a bit when you said that you can hit consistently at 25 yards but you want to go up a lot in bow weight.   If you can do it and maintain that accuracy, do it but chances are that won't happen.  I think the  magic minimum number in bow weight for large game is 50 IF your arrow weight is heavy enough and you shoot the right head.  

I shoot a 50 pound bow and  have taken animals pushing 2000 pounds.  That bow of yours is more than enough medicine for any hog.  
Now, if you are just looking for an excuse to buy a new bow, that is perfectly reasonable, lol.

Offline ahab78

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks, Basin and Jerry.  I will take your advice. For the new bow, I think 55# at 28" will be a good fit for my needs and a manageable step up in poundage for me. I will probably end up like most guys on here with several bows before it is all said and done, so plenty of time to get into the 60-70# bows, if I decide to go that route.

What arrows and broadheads do you recommend for the Bob Lee (45# at 26")? Pat recommended Simmons broadheads and Beman or Easton arrows. My main problem here is that our pro shop only caters to compound shooters. They look at me crazy every time I go there and ask for traditional gear. So I have to order from 3 rivers. I have target arrows now that are too light for hunting. I might be better off just sticking with the Bob Lee and investing in arrow building equipment than getting a new bow.

Jerry, if you do not mind, I will email you a pic of the hog to get your opinion of him.
USMC 1997-2005

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
I agree with you head choice you are considering....Z No Mercy type diamentions. Get it sharp and leave it pointy...no need to waste energy at impact from tenting....you have to get through that thick hide and shield.

I wish you the best of luck!

I'd love to see a pic as well to see if he's flat sided or barreled and how pronounced his 'saddle bags' are.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©