3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: guilly suit...is it any good?  (Read 1016 times)

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: guilly suit...is it any good?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
Rancho Gillie hunters at the recent Paradise Hunt

A Bit of advice,  If YOU think it will interfere  hack it off ....Your mind will play a big part of getting use to them. If you think something will hit the string that's where your head will be during the shot    :banghead:

Offline short slugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
I had a button buck at 10 yds. for 10 min. tonight feeding on browse. It finally noticed me and stared me down for 15 more min. walking in a half-moon circle at 8-10 yds. Head bobbing, fake feeding, then the "gotcha" snap -up look, figure 8 head movements. But he left after 25 min. in no hurry.He never really knew!
Tony!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
I picked up a complete Rancho Safari suit, off the auction site for $70. About a half hour of trimming and shooting and I am ready. I have used it twice, felt a little odd in it but no deer showed up for me to form an opinion of it's effectiveness. No problem shooting with it on. The bow is my favorite patched limb osage.

Offline short slugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
I had a forkhorn come by at 9am at 10 yds. in a slow trot...I wonder what he has on his mind? I did not take a shot, but the guilly suit is performing well!
Tony!

Offline SCtrkyhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
The ghillie suit had kept me consealed better than any other camo, like the others have said you can get away with very little front cover as long as you have good back cover.  Again like others said, shoot with it on, I took all the material from the inside of the sleve from the elbow down to eliminate string contact.  It is a little harder to shhot in at first but lets you get away with alot less cover which can hinder your shooting even more.
>>>--------->
Dusty Springs
<---------<<<

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Because of the Texas heat, I purchased a Cabella's leafy suit built on the bug suit frame that Doc Nock mentioned. I carry it in in my pack and slip it on when I'm ready to hunt. Yes, I have shot with it on and I did the necessary trimming. I'm not trying to steal the post but has anyone had sucess using this set-up?

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
I have been stepped on by people wearing a ghillie suit. I currently use the ASAT 3D Pro Vanish because it is a little easier to pack in and lighter in weight and almost as effective as a full on ghillie. From my long range observations of others wearing ghillies if you move realllllllllllllllly slowly you are very hard to se but if you move at a normal speed you stick ouy badly.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
I   have been made   by deer in a Rancho suit a few times. It is not a 100% deal- also have had 13 turkeys roost right in front of me wearing one. I think what is fun is that your confidence improves in one. It may be false confidence but when you feel invisible hunting is more fun.
I have tried turkey hunting and it requires you to move quickly at times and set up and the suit gets torn by barb wire and thorns and the like.
I have even climbed a tree in one and that is a dangerous endeavor.

They are fun but not full proof.

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
I have thought of getting a guilly suit, but I have so much "stuff" that makes it convenient for my hunting, I alreaty have Dubble Bull T 2 & T 5, concealment is not the problem, my problem is people and seen deer.

I hunt public land, and more times than not people spoil my set up, it seems like the deeper and I go in, the more people I'm seen lately, because they're getting the same idea, overcrowded, and understaffed wildlife management area's.

I think next year I'm going to give Wisconsin a try.  

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
Had a spike ar 8 yards last night. Yeah, it works.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
Any good? Yes, it works. Necessary? Absolutely not! "Silly ghillies," my wife calls this latest excess the industry has foisted on us.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
What is the coldest temperature, you use your Ghillie suit at, could it be worn over a heavy fleece camo outfit?

Carl

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
Does anybody know

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
It's like a duster coat with strips of stuff hanging all over it. Depending on the size I imagine you could wear it over anything.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
I have seen one that is called " the poncho" I think that would be the best option if I was going to get one, it's $158

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
i havnt personaly used one but i bet that there is a great deal of confidence related close encounters.  in my experience if i dont move a muscle i dont get busted, barring the smell of my feet.  i have had cow moose with calf sniff my leg.  i was wearing blue jeans and a hoodie, she never knew, i didnt even move my eyes.  last year i had a land otter walk over my legs he looked at me funny when he felt the flece under him,  but if a critter gets that close whatever you are wearing has done its job.  now i dont know a thing about turkeys, but i bet the suit would work wonders for sandhills.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
I love mine. Picked it up at a garage sale for 35.00. I just cut off the bow arm sleeve trimed the left side of the chest area. Also trimed the hood. Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
O.K. but woodland? or brown?

Keep in mind we're talking IL deer woods.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
BrokenArrow,
   I went with the short jacket for $59.  Plenty roomy for an winter coat beneath.  Of course RanchoSafari got burned to the ground so that may not be an option for a while.

Tom, I went with their 4-season pattern.  Looks like a good choice to me.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
I'm now a believer.

rancho safari shaggie longcoat. 4-season camo.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©