3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two piece longbow?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline tradrookie93

• Trad Bowhunter
Two piece longbow?
« on: May 14, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
Those that have shot two piece longbows, how well do they stack up to a three piece as far as how sturdy they and how consistent they are? I've been looking at Tomahawks and Black Widow.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two piece longbow?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
I've had a few bow bolt longbows currently have one and had a 2pc thunderchild (sleeve). I've never noticed a difference.  Only in convenience love being able to take those apart into 2 small pieces.  If  the bowyers didn't think they would work well or make sense. They wouldn't make them at all. I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. But carbs are bad... Don't eat those.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 12:02:00 AM »
I have a caribow featherhorn.  Abe uses a sleeve system similar to Black Widow.  It is rock solid when assembled.  I'd like a wolverine model next and it will certainly be a two piece.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 07:37:00 AM »
I have three 2-piece takedown longbows. One uses the old Robertson Conexxion Hinge and the other two are sleeves. I prefer the sleeves.

Once the bow is assembled, I don't notice that the bow is in two pieces. They all shoot fine.

Darren

Offline rix2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 07:48:00 AM »
Had a Big Jim Buffalo if you did not know it was a 2 piece you would never know.

Offline Airdale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 07:49:00 AM »
I have a 60" 1 piece McCullough Griffin and a 2 piece 60 inch bow bolt Griffin and see no difference in shooting although the 2 piece carries a little more weight in the riser. The extra weight is not bulk, steel bolt system and composite phenolic/wood riser. Same great grip in each bow. Really like the 2 piece. Sleeve system and bow bolt are excellent choices when properly built/installed.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »
I have a bow bolt Toelke Pika. A must try!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
Widow.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »
I have a 2 pc Widow pl and it's rock solid....all time favorite bow
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 12:12:00 PM »
2pc or 3pc are sturdy if built by a reputable bowyer.  Consistency is in the shooter.  3pc and 2pc differ quite a bit in that 3pc you can increase the mass weight of the bow to your liking depending on the size and shape of the riser, making the bow near the mass of a 3pc recurve depending.  2pc longbows generally mimic the mass and proportion of 1pc bows either very closely or near identical again depending on the materials/woods chosen.  Tomahawk and Widow both use roughly the same takedown system and are both well built bows.  The Widows cost more but are top shelf in craftsmanship and performance.  You also have more choices in customization vs the Tomahawk bows, which are square in the production bow category for the most part.  Again, both are great choices, just depends on what you want out of it aesthetics and customization-wise in the end.  Me, I'd probably save up for the Widow, or find a used one.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 12:35:00 PM »
Kind of depends what you like.  The 3-pieces usually have more mass in the riser.  Some folks like that, others don't.  Some like the looks of two pieces better. I personally think the 3-piece attachment systems are a bit more durabl/troublefree, but folks really don't report very many problems with 2-piece takedowns either.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
Two piece are great for backpacking hunts.  The bow breaks down into basically two skinny sticks. Assembly of the bow once at camp is simply a matter of popping the two halves together.  No allen wrenches required and no hardware(bolts and bezels)to keep track of.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »
Shrew Bows use the sleeve TD system, solid and always in  line
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
Have a Hill Wesley Sp. with the sleeve T/D system.....bullet proof.......if fact I'm going to order another.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »
so far I am liking the bow bolt that Robertson is using in their Wolfer the best of any two piece longbow design I have used before....
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline NothingHappenedToday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »
I have a two-piece Hummingbird Dynastick that uses the Treadway U-Bolt/Talon system (the same system as the 3 Rivers' Tomahawk Bows I believe?). I really love the extra mass that the steel u-bolt and sockets add to my bow. I don't know about others, but my bow will have the u-bolt slowly work it's way out slightly after an afternoon of shooting. Nothing to worry about -- it doesn't seem to affect the performance. You just notice the "bulge" under the grip after a while. I just unstring, re-seat the bolt, and I'm good to go. The only downside I see to it
Hummingbird Kingfisher Longbow
Hummingbird Dyna-Stick Longbow
Bear Ranger

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 07:28:00 PM »
I had a 2piece widow LAG.  Was a great bow but draw weight was a little too heavy.  Couldn't shoot it consistently so I sold it.

It was on par with a one piece
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
My BW longbow is a 2-piece, with the locket socket.  I bought it new several years ago, with custom woods, it cost a bit more than some, but it is a great bow that I like more every time I shoot it.  Shoots just like a one-piece, I just wish it were 52# instead of 48#, so I could hunt big game in Alaska with it!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
I have a Caribow Featherhorn that is a 2 piece locker socket. Absolutely the finest work in a 2 piece. No movement whatsoever and you cannot tell it's not a one piece bow.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
I've owned at least a few of each 1, 2, and 3 piece bows and the 2 piece sleeve style longbow is by far my favorite. When tested to destruction the BW 1 piece longbow will break across the shelf at 1500 psi, same results with the 2 piece.
Thom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©