3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little trad heresy  (Read 914 times)

Offline captain caveman

• Trad Bowhunter
A little trad heresy
« on: May 16, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »
If aiming techniques increase accuracy and if accuracy directly translates into success in the field then why are bow sights not more commonly used by traditional archers?  Besides the obvious issues with adherence to competition rules, why not use a bow sight as a reference?  It seems to be a simpler solution than string walking, allowing the string to be gripped in same place for all distances.  Changing location of string grip and therefore the dynamics of the bow seems to complicate things.  A sight would allow the archer to focus on the intended target with a fixed pin to spot check prior to release.  I've been faithfully listening to the Push podcast and I highly recommend it.  It is admittedly my only exposure to competitive archery and aiming techniques.  My only question is why are sights not as widely used as these other seemingly more complicated aiming techniques in traditional archery?  Any history fellow trdagangers have on the issue would be interesting as well.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little trad heresy
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
If you had asked this on other sites, you would feel the heat from the trad police.  Years ago many recurves had sights-as witnessed by the many older recurves wit sight holes drilled in them.  I saw few longbows fitted with sights.. as kids we taped a match to the riser as a sight. Why not? Personal preference,stubborn,trying to do it the hard way,, don't need no stinking sights, etc
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
You used to see a fair amount of discussion and use of sights on traditional bows. Some were even manufactured with them. I believe that it became "fashionable" to disdain the use of sights, particularly since some of the most popular and successful archers did not use them, such as Howard Hill and Fred Bear. Oddly, while I have no issue with those who use sights, I have never had any desire to do so myself.
Sam

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
Nothing against anyone that uses them but my reasoning is "simple". I switched from a compound to traditional archery because of the minimalism aspect of it. I find it extremely relaxing and a break from the "real world" to be able to just go out and shoot and have less to worry about. A sight is another thing to get nocked out of alignment, need to be adjusting or something else to cause me to "over think". I over think things way too much, but I'm getting better at avoiding it. At the same time I am becoming a better archer and enjoying traditional archery more and more.
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
Most, not all, of the folks using gapping, string walking, etc. for target shooting are using fairly light weight bows. Many (not all) whose primary archery activity is hunting use heavier weight bows. Draw weight differences are probably what most distinguishes target shooting from hunting, though those difference seems to be moderating in recent times.

Regardless, the heavier the bow, the more difficult it is to hold while using any aiming system, including sights. Not impossible, just more difficult.

Mostly though, sights have just fallen out of favor.  Back in the late 50s, 60s, and early 70s, we used sights quite a bit. In fact most everyone did. Then along came the compound and near demise of traditional bows. As folks began to pick up the stick again, they just eschewed sights.  Maybe part of it was a reaction to the developing high tech wheelie bows.

I'm toying with the idea of putting a sight on one of my bows again.  Problem now is there aren't very many of them around. Can sometimes find old ones on *****. Sights made for wheelie bows don't fit most stick bows.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
When I first got back into traditional archery, I could not get my shooting to the standard I felt was needed to hunt ethicaly. Granted jumping back in with a 75 lb recurve that I had had for over 25 years at the time was probably not a good idea but it was what I had. I put a front sight on the bow, and all of a sudden I could put the arrows where I wanted them. That first season saw a blacktail deer and a rosy cow fall to that bow. The cow was at last light at 28 yards. After that season I got rid of the sight and got a lighter bow and started learning how to really shoot with out the sight. Not really sure how many deer and elk have fallen to my trad equipment since then!

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
I don't use one but if you think you might enjoy it more and it makes you a better archer with a sight do it.

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »
If I wanted to string walk and different walk/crawl methods, honestly, I'd just put on a simple pin sight and be done with it. It would allow me to keep my solid anchor and not worry about moving up and down the string. I much rather keep my setup and shooting style as simple as possible. I see my arrow tip in my peripheral vision, but I also do not use it as an aiming system either. Kind of a "gap-stinctive" style I guess you might could call it. It works for me. If someone wants to use a pin sight, its fine by me. Its not my bow so do what suits you and don't listen to the "trad police".
Mark 1:17

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
I got into trad bows to get away from sights, stabilizers, release aids, and other things that could break, fall off, get out of tune, etc.  Murphy's Law seemed to work over time with me.  

Honestly it never occurred to me that I could shoot a compound "bare bow", else I would have likely just gone that route.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
I should add I'm glad it worked out the way it did!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
I agree with Chad, to get rid of all the peripheral crap. Just me and my stick. When I shoot I don't see my bow or arrow but concentrate where the arrow WILL go. My pea brain can deal with just so much at one time.
 With enough thoughtful practice anyone can shoot well without sights.You don't put sights on baseballs, basket balls, foot balls or horse shoes so why on your bow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »
I have used sights and they work good in certain situations. The problem I have is that they are confining in that you are forced to hold the bow vertical. When I am hunting the situation is always different and I feel that a sight that forces me to shoot a certain way is a hindrance.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
Us old farts remember another argument that was out there in the olden days .
A bare bow shooter can get on target faster and doesn't need to worry about what the exact distance is .
Sights can get bumped and then your done until you " Sight In " again .
To look down on someone that uses sights , is just wrong and rude .
If you want to use sites , I say go for it . I certainly wouldn't think any less of a traditional archery if they did .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 12:09:00 PM »
Competitive shooting has different motivations than hunting.  People want to compete against others who are similarly equipped.  If you could get enough people interested in bending over and shooting backwards between their legs, you could start a new competitive division where people had to shoot that way.  Probably there just aren't enough people who want to shoot trad bows with sights to make that happen, although Olympic style shooters use them.

Motivations for hunting are much more personal.  Certainly, if sights are allowed on compounds for hunting, they would also be allowed on trad bows.  If I decided to put sights on my hunting bow, the next thought in my head would be why not just go ahead and use a compound?  But if a particular individual feels that he can maximize his hunting experience by putting a sight on his trad bow, I wouldn't hold it against him.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Sota

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
For me, this is where the mystic and magic lies in trad archery.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 12:19:00 PM »
The first deer I ever killed was with a compound with no sights and fingers........that's how I shot my Browning Nomad so I didn't know any better. If you want to try a sight......go for it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
I have a fair bit of experiance shooting with sights. I am a firm believer shooting with sights will make you a much better shot, but not from what you would expect.

Sights make you a better shot because they force you to have a VERY consistent form. You will know right away if your form is off or inconsistent, because you will not be able to hold good groups.

I eventually took the sights back off as i just liked it better without. The sights were a very humbling experience that I feel made me a better shot in the end when i went back to bare bow.

Give sights a try, what do you have to loose? SS

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
For me the lack of mechanical assistance is what makes trad archery fun! No sights just my instinct against the target or animal

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »
I think that looking down on a guy who's using sights on a trad is wrong. In this case, whoever uses the arrow as guidance and tabs with lines marked for distances should be treated the same. Do as you please and ignore the opinions that try to push your fun out from archery. They are not used so much, or not that often because trad is associated with the way the ancestors were shooting while hunting.

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
I agree with the gentleman above this post. No person should be looked down on for using sights. Especially by the guys who string walk and use a fixed crawl. It's the same thing.  Using an aiming system by having your tip be the pin is the same thing in my opinion but I could care less how someone shoots. It's all about fun. I shoot instinctivey but if I were to try a fixed crawl or string walk I'd rather put a sight on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©