3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little trad heresy  (Read 915 times)

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little trad heresy
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
As a profound newbie to traditional archery (i have not even bought my bow yet!), i can really only reflect on what my preferences were when i shot with compounds.

Incidentally, when i did shoot compounds, i shot split-finger and did not use sights even though they were common (it's been more than 20 years since I shot with a bow).

I realized that i enjoyed shooting a bow strictly for the fun of it. I didn't really look to achieve stunning precision (i did that with bolt rifles - I'm still pretty OCD about that). It's not that I think accuracy with archery gear is not important, I truly believe it is - and especially so for hunting.

Rather, that i wanted a more simple experience and truly believe excellent accuracy is achievable without additional "gadgetry". I enjoy archery for the simplicity (although really complex in action) of it and additional bits-n-bobs take away from that simplicity.

However, if an archer/archery hunter wants to use a sight on a trad bow who am i to say anything against it?

If i started being that critical I hopefully would question myself... like who made me the "Traditional Archery" police?

I suppose for recreational things I tend to be a good bit more inclusive than exclusive.

I am admittedly 'eccentric' and do have some Luddite tendencies, but archery isn't among them. For some, it may be...
Southwest Archery "Spyder" recurve (lefty)
+35lb limbs
+"Nifty Fifty" 50lb limbs
Hunters Choice Bowstrings - props to Daniel!

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »
from my limited experience as someone who transitioned from compound to traditional archery, many, many moon's ago, a bow sight gives false sense of ability.  Though few can deny, that with a bow sight, you will be more accurate, hand down.  However, you are limited with your shot's when it comes to hunting.  Also, one more thing that can go wrong, as far as coming loose or broken.  I have had all the things happen not only to me but other's that got into hunting with a bow sight.  The other thing that I enjoy more about the lack of sight, is that I know I have to commit and practice more to become good and stay proficient.  The day may come to when I will have to revert back to that.  But as long as possible I will stay with the traditional way, just opens more options for hunting shots.  A good example, is few years back, I come across a deer and was doing a stalk.  I had to crawl to within range, it ended up the deer moved into the grass I was stalking it from.  I had no option but to take a laying down shot (yes I practiced it).  There is no way I could of done that with a bow sight.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
I have no qualms about using sights, on any type bow.  

I've put sights on one of my recurves a time or two.  I didn't like the feel either time. I think I'm so used to a "wall" to pull into with my "other" bow and metal fingers, it didn't feel right.

However, I might give a simple sight another try on my recurve. I don't care what sighting system I use as long as I'm as accurate as I can be.  

When I moved to sights with my "other" bow in 1981 after shooting bare bow since 1967 or so I did it to help remind me to pick a spot. I was tired of shooting high. It worked....most of the time.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »
At the relatively short distances we shoot game and 3-D targets I feel there is no need for sights. I gap everything which serves the same purpose out to 35 yards.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »
I hunted with a three pin sight user when i was a kid.  He always told people, "shoot through the sight, not at it."  His entire shot process was 2 seconds or less.  He used his sights much like Hill's Secondary image system, or as Hill put it, "imaginary aiming point".  What he could not do is sit low to the ground and take long shot because of the needed bow cant his reference was too far off.  Personally, I think string crawling is the silliest thing ever dreamed up for bow hunting.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 04:59:00 PM »
I have messed around with sights a little (pin stuck in adhesive backed foam ) I know I could improve my over 20 yard accuracy with a sight. But for hunting and shots under 20 yards I prefer no sights. I have shot several deer that I might not have got a shot off with sights.
I don't have a problem with sights, may play around with them again someday.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »
When I started shooting bows and hunting EVERYBODY used a sight. Everybody shot Recurves. I have no issues if someone feels sights help and they use them. Everyone is wired a little differently. Me personally I can shoot extremely well without a site and have no need or interest. I do remember as bows got heavier in draw weight at some point it would have been very difficult to use a site had someone chosen to do so. The low bow weights popular today would be easy for most to use a site. It does seem odd there are so many methods to supposedly shoot "barebow" without a site that are in effect a sighting method - but on the flip side those who use these methods still are using a bow not dependent on using a site which for some may be a benefit.
<><
<-------------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
I once put a 3 pin sight on a martin recurve.  I couldn't hit anything.  My bow doesn't like for me to hold it vertically, or maybe visa-versa.  Also, I can shoot darn good groups with my "other" bow with wheels and cables and stabilizer and release and string loop and let off AND sights, but I have a hard time when I don't use my rangefinder.  I love my traditional bows and even more so without a sight because I don't need to know the range, within reason of course.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline mississippidude

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 07:26:00 PM »
I am fairly new to the traditional archery scene but the reason I came over from compound is the challenge as well as the simplistic approach. Sights make it easier but is that what you want with traditional? Again, I'm no authority and I couldn't care less what anyone else does as long as they are enjoying the outdoors. That's just my thoughts on the subject.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 07:55:00 PM »
Well.  In an attempt at answering his question, more folks (on this site) don't use sights simply because, for whatever their reason, they don't want to.   That's all.

Go to a site dealing with olympic target shooters and most will be using sights.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
 Just me and my stick. When I shoot I don't see my bow or arrow but concentrate where the arrow WILL go. My pea brain can deal with just so much at one time.
 With enough thoughtful practice anyone can shoot well without sights.You don't put sights on baseballs, basket balls, foot balls or horse shoes so why on your bow?
Great response Pat, you nailed it!    :thumbsup:

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 09:40:00 AM »
To each their own. I never had interest because it's one more thing to buy/break/lose. I'd also have to buy the inserts to mount them on my bows. Since I'm shooting the arrow anyway, aiming with it just makes more sense to me.

I don't get the animosity towards other aiming styles.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
I think you see very few sights on trad bows today because:  (1) Very few trad shooters have ever tried using a sight, (2) Longbows have increased in popularity and most of them have risers that are not very amenable for using a sight, and (3) Most people don't want to be ridiculed by the trad police for not being "trad enough."  That said, I see a lot of people at trad shoots that would likely benefit from trying a sight.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Meflyfisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
Funny thing, I switched from traditional equipment for target practice only, to a compound when I began archery hunting for deer 33 years ago.  I thought the sight pin was so cool until i discovered I was looking past it when the light got low.  I added a small light and battled with sight picture "washout" or an even poorer view of the deer due to the glow.  Then came fiber optics.  Better, but twigs can snag and breakfibers.  Before I knew it I was into $150+ sights with protected fibers, bubble levels, canted pins.......you get the picture.  Shooting barebow and instinctive is a HUGE breath of fresh air.  love it.
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

Offline captain caveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »
Totally agree great points. With the inability to cant a sighted bow and difficulty at higher draw weights that pretty much settles the issue for me.  I don't have inserts on any of my bows so not an option anyway.  At the ranges I shoot at game it's not an issue either.  But if in a tree stand with a 30 yrd shot and more time to prepare and hold bow vertical would be a confidence booster.

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
One other thing that i have observed all several occasions.  I have seen three times where good shooters try a bow sight to improve their shooting and shot much much worse with a bow sight than with their normal bare bow shooting. some folks do little tweaks to get their instinctively shot arrows on the mark.  Aiming with a sight robs them of their little tweaks.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2017, 02:13:00 PM »
For me it's just something else to go wrong with or break. I've had many times 30-35+ years ago, where I'd be all set up On stand then realize that my sight pin had either moved bent or broke. I like things as simple as possible.

I think I shoot ok with out them

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline captain caveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
No doubt looks good.  Correct me I if I'm wrong but it sounds like Byron Ferguson uses some awareness of the arrow for windage and shoots elevation purely instinctive.  Seems like a good idea since horizontal errors will have more impact than vertical errors judging distance when it comes to success in the field.  I'd much rather miss clean above or below than hit too far forward or back on something with a heartbeat.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2017, 05:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by captain caveman:
No doubt looks good.  Correct me I if I'm wrong but it sounds like Byron Ferguson uses some awareness of the arrow for windage and shoots elevation purely instinctive.  Seems like a good idea since horizontal errors will have more impact than vertical errors judging distance when it comes to success in the field.  I'd much rather miss clean above or below than hit too far forward or back on something with a heartbeat.
I'm not sure how he shoots but I'm a gap shoroter. I don't care what "traditionalists" think of it. But it works for me and has for 27 years. Nothing wrong with it. As I said for me it's an unneeded piece of equipment that has the potential to fail at the wrong time. And to me, there's nothing wrong if someone wants to use them.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2017, 07:08:00 PM »
I started using sights on my recurve back in the 60's.  They enabled me to develop good form and accuracy, but after a few years I found I no longer needed them for normal hunting  distances.  They actually became a hindrance for that.  Always worried about the bow being vertical, and we'd even step off yardage from our tree stand and flag distances so we'd get the right pin.

If I was shooting Olympic style targets I would not hesitate to switch back, but for what I enjoy, I just don't need them.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©