3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Prime Time.....Stories fromearly seasons....updated.  (Read 501 times)

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
Prime Time.....Stories fromearly seasons....updated.
« on: November 02, 2007, 12:46:00 AM »
It is great to hear the hunting adventures of so many seasoned hunters and woodsman, the stories of great accomplishment, adventures, and camaraderie.  That is why I read these accounts, to share in the adventures through the pictures and descriptions.  But amidst the stories of extraordinary shots, deer of a life time, doubles, and backwoods stalks, we’re missing something, something either forgotten, hidden, or just to damn embarrassing to share with all but a few family members that happened to be there to witness us at our earliest non hunting roots.  

Every Thanksgiving it never fails, the uncles, brothers, fathers, and grandfathers get together around the table after a glorious feast, and the stories start to roll out.  Some are new, most are old, but all of them damn entertaining.  With Thanksgiving coming up, I thought I would share some of my earliest hunting memories, the stuff that Thanksgiving stories are made of, and ones you will rarely see posted.

Just some background before we get started.  These stories come from my first year of hunting in 1987, notice I said “year”, in all actuality my season consisted of about a weeks worth of days in Pennsylvania’s archery season, and second archery.  My dad wasn’t a big hunter, although he did his best to get us out after we got our hunting license.  He took quite a few deer with a Kodiak Magnum, but wasn’t one to take off work to hunt, and usually hunted on the weekends when he wasn’t working.  These were times before Jackie Bushman hunting shows, internet-hunting forums, and your best bet for getting up in a tree was with Baker Deluxe.  To be continued……
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Prime Time.....Stories fromearly seasons....updated.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 12:53:00 AM »
Gear back then was based on what we could get handed down from my grandfather, the same uncles that would later tell our stories, or what we could afford, which sure wasn’t a whole helluva lot.  The only names I knew as a kid were XX75’s in autumn orange cause that’s what dad shot tipped with Zwickey Black Diamonds, and Bear bows, because again that’s what dad shot.  My first hunting bow stood about a foot taller than me, a late 60’s Bear Tamerlane that couldn’t have been any shorter than 68 inches drawing 35#.  Had a Bear back quiver full of olive drab Easton Gamegetters that my dad bought for my first season. No matter the size, we never knew about spine then.  Although looking back now it explains why my dads arrows always flew nice and straight and mine dipped and dove as soon as you threw on anything other than a field point.  The quiver was the BEAR model with the Indian rowing the canoe with a deer in the front, I see them on the auction site every now and then, and for some reason I want to buy every one of them.  Nostalgia I guess.

Unfortunately I was not exposed to the traditional bows and bow hunters of those times, I never knew there was a Wensel let alone two of them, nor did I know names like Brackenbury or Schafer.  Those names would not become familiar to me for many years, but I practiced a lot every year preparing for my time in the field knowing that when the time came to let the string drop I wanted to make my ol’man proud.   I’d been shooting every fall with my dad since I was 4, and we only stopped shooting when the bails of hay fell apart sometime after the spring rains.  Come the end of summer we’d get new bails and starting shooting again.  My time was near, I had my license, I had my gear, I had my Baker Deluxe treestand and I had NO experience to speak of.  Let the season begin.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »
God knows there are some good stories!

Like my first ever bowhunt. Early October 1978.

Hiding on the ground, near a beaten path in a funnel. (times have changed but tactics have not)
Just enough light to see, and a group of the very few Turkeys that were making a comeback in N.E. Michigan, come off the roost. A controlled crash,
god awful noise, and a six foot tall, 200lb tom turkey lands about ten feet from me. I`m twelve yrs old, and I think the devil has sent a demon to drag me to hell by my guts.

I made my peace, decided I had a good life, and decided that even though my bow was not powerful,
that demon was going to get my Wasp three blade right in the chest when he came for me.

He did not come for me, and I did not stay till 9:00 am like everyone had discussed.

To this day, I have yet to see another turkey, that was six feet tall!

Indeed, let the season begin.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 07:28:00 AM »
Oh man, I could tell the early stories for days.

CK

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
My mom woke me up that first morning although I didn’t sleep very well with expectations far and beyond of that of a seasoned hunter.  0500 in the morning was unheard of for me, but the fact that I was headed out to the woods was motivation enough to pull me out of sleep.  I pulled on my long johns, jeans, and my hand me down camouflage and went down stairs to meet my Uncle who was there waiting for me on the back porch.  As he patiently waited, I pulled on my boots, gathered my quiver and bow, noisily rustling the aluminum arrows around in there sheath.

We loaded the gear in the truck, and headed for our first destination.  We pulled into the local gas station for coffee and snacks and the first thing I noticed was that the only people there other than the attendant were bow hunters, and I was one of them.  I did not drink coffee but I followed my uncle inside to join in the ritual.  Quietly they talked in hush tones to each other as if they were already in the woods, afraid to spook something just out of site.  Then we departed with words of luck to my grandfather’s farm just outside of the Gettysburg battlefield.  The lesson that I learned that morning was how great it was to be a bow hunter on the first day of the season at 0500 in the morning.

We pulled off the road in front of the old farm house and I gathered my gear from the vehicle, license……..check, bow….check, arrows…….check, rope………..check, Heavy Baker………heavy check.  Carrying all three was a burden in itself for a 12 year old my size, I only weighed 85 pounds wet, and the blade of the Baker cut into my shoulder on the trek down through the field to the woods.  

Along the way Uncle Mark was explaining to me that he’d picked a tree that he thought I would have a good chance at seeing deer moving to there beds in from there nightly feeding.  He went over the rules of shot placement, and what to do if I did happen to shoot one, among other things that my dad had also conveyed to me.

After dragging the behemoth of a tree stand through stickers, and tangled brush, we found my home for the morning just on the North side of a small swamp.  As quietly as I could, I laid my gear down to start the process of setting up the stand.  My Uncle whispered to me to be careful, and “for the love of god do not drop the wing nut” that held the blade.  I swear by the time he finished the sentence the sound of metal bouncing off metal put the period on it.  As dark as it was I could feel his eyes on me, asking with out words “did you do what I think you just did?”  The answer was, absolutely.  So reluctantly, I tell him the news that he already knew, and again patiently as a saint, he got out his flashlight to help search the fall foliage for the small wing nut that will secure my roost.  A few minutes later, we found it. We shut the light out and returned to the assembly.  The next thing that happened was a first for me and but not that last.  I hear something blow, you know, like a high-pitched snort and it couldn’t have been any more than 20 yards away from us.  I never heard such a haunting sound; it pierced the dark like an air horn and made the hair on my neck stand on end.  After inquiring as to what made the noise, I was informed it was not a turkey (never heard one before so what did I know, it was the only thing I could think of), and in hurried voice he told me it was our quarry, the monarch of the forest, the whitetail.  We were busted and we hadn’t even been there 10 minutes.

The rest of the morning was uneventful after that.  I spent it dozing off, daydreaming, and nervously moving as slowly as I could in the temperamental stand to investigate the noises around me.  My Uncle came for me sometime before lunch, and asked me if I had seen the few doe that passed me through the cover that bordered the swamp.  Again, it couldn’t have been any further than 20 or so yards to where they passed.  I disappointedly admitted that I “heard” something, but I hadn’t seen anything.  

And so ends my first morning of hunting, but not the day.  If only my evening hunt went as well as my morning hunt.  Tonight I will be hunting again, but this time with my Uncle and my Father. To be continued...........
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »
Good stuff!

:bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 02:57:00 AM »
The thought of deer moving from there beds, across the sorghum fields to the apple trees drew us to the woods.  My father had joined us for the evening hunt now that he’d completed his work for the day.  The three of us moved swiftly and silently down the field once again, our destination was on the opposite side of the swamp to catch the deer moving down the thick wooded edge.  The plan was to put me in a spot where I could watch the woods edge, and the edge of the swamp.  My Uncle and father were going to sit on the sorghums field where they might catch something moving across the field or along the fields’ edge.  All in all the distance between myself and the two of them might have been 100-150 yards (probably less).

I setup my stand without incident. I began my short ascent up the tree, hugging its trunk, and lifting the stand under me.  My feet secured under the bungee cords.  I was somewhat afraid of heights at that tender age, 9 ft was equal to 20 feet in my eyes, and if I made it to 12 feet off the ground, I was lucky.  

Things were going fine; I had found the sites and sounds of the woods very entertaining once things had gotten back to normal.  We were not trespassers any more, we were apart of the woods.  Unfortunately, as the time passed so did my patience.  I started to do as I suppose many kids do unsupervised; I started to play around to pass the time.  I un-knock my arrow, and start to look at it, spin it on the Bakers wooden platform.  Eventually I move the blade dangerously close to the string, and  although I don’t know why, knowing what would happen but assuring myself that it wouldn’t I grazed my B50 string with the Bear blade and popped at least 3 strands.   Now, a casualty of my own doing, I am in a predicament that I have never been.  I’m now looking at the bow string which is now 3 or 4 strands short of a full bundle wondering, what will happen should I have to draw the bow.  Would it explode in my face?  Would it be fine with the remaining 8 or 9?  I don’t know.  Therefore, I thought I would ask.  Now keep in mine, by this time it was pushing late afternoon on my first day, in a new stand.  I sound off to get my dads attention, or anyone’s for that matter.  I needed to know if my immature antics would cost me an eye.  After a few minutes and know response I sound off again, this time a bit louder.  I knew that my answers were only a hundred yards away or so, and wanted to know if all would be well.  Still, know reply.  So there I was, yelling through the once quiet woods for some help.  I chuckle to myself now thinking of how it must have sounded to my dad an Uncle, who were themselves confused about the situation.  Another ten minutes and I’d have my answer.  My dad and Uncle arrived at the same time at my station expecting to find me dangling from my safety rope, but finding me sitting there bow in hand.  My dad had climbed a tree to a natural perch from where to ambush and unsuspecting prey, and my uncle had set up in good spot no doubt, but both leaving there hides to answer my call.  The look of disbelief was priceless when I told them my predicament, and asked them if I would be all right.  For the first time, I saw my dad speechless, so instead he just threw his bow down right there in front of me.  My uncle just looked, and headed back to his selected spot for the remainder of the evening.  After my father regained his composure, he picked up his Kodiak Mag, assured me all was well and told me to sit quiet cause prime time was approaching.  Satisfied but feeling as though I’d messed up (which I did) I finished out the remainder of the hunt, alone, with 3 less strands.  They came back for me after dark; no one spoke of the incident until later back at my grandfathers’ house.  We all saw the humor in the events after the fact, and everyone including my grandfather who I might ad was an accomplished hunter got a good chuckle.  This brings us to the completion of my first day a field.  More lessons learned, and as always in my life, learned the hard way.  Lesson number 2 and 3: If you’re messing around and cut your string, just shut up and sit quietly cause its your own dang fault.  Finally yet importantly, never, ever, call out for help unless you need it.  Notice how I say, “call for help”.  

The next trip gets better or at least more entertaining, and I learn what and when “PRIME TIME” really is.  To be continued……………
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
“Prime Time”, what is it?  What does it mean?  Can you put an actual time to it?  5:00pm, or maybe 6:00pm?  From what my father told me prior to my inaugural outing, it was a time when woods came alive.  Once the sun started to set the deer awoke from there daytime slumber, the peak of opportunity for the hunter who was ready.  

My first two outings hadn’t gone quite as planned, and this hunting business wasn’t as easy as I’d originally thought.  Tonight, was going to be different.  It was just my father and I in the woods this evening.  I told myself there would be no fooling around with arrows, no dozing off, and dang it I was going to see deer.

This time dad thought ahead and put me in a tree not to far from his own, just so he could keep an eye on me.  Now I was less than 50 yards away perched in my stand, and he was sitting on the fields edge in a tree that provided a natural seat for him to rest on.  I watched as he quietly made his way through the woods on his short walk to his chosen tree, and hoist himself up through the limbs.  It was early afternoon and the stage was set.

I sat quietly watching my surroundings, slowly moving my eyes not my head just as instructed.  I tried to remain as still as my uncomfortable seat would allow, which comprised of metal hand climber that was as shaky as the tree stand itself with nothing more than a canvas cover.  I could feel myself getting restless after an hour but kept my movement to a minimum.

Eventually I was graced with some entertainment as two chipmunks cavorted around together, wrestling each other making all sorts of racket.  Leaves flew and they continued to bark at each other for a little while longer and then they were gone.  Hour number two was behind us, so far so good.

The air around me started to grow cooler; the change in temperature was signaling the transformation of afternoon to evening.  Was it time yet?  

The crows had stopped calling there warnings, the crickets were speaking up in there place.  Slowly the sun was setting in the west casting shadows on the woods, changing the landscape.  “Was it time yet?” I wondered to myself.  I couldn’t tell.  It seemed right, but I had to know for sure.

“Dad” I whispered aloud trying to get his attention.  No response.  

“Dad” I called again still in a whisper so as not to disturb anything around us, and again there was no response.  

My attempts to get an answer had not worked.  Time to speak up a little.

“DAD!”  I called out.
“WHAT?” was the return I got.
“Is it PRIME TIME yet?”
“It Was! Now be QUIET!”

I had my answer, and was ready to see some deer, but none came.  

Nothing was said as we walked back to the house, but I knew what was going to happen next even before he spoke.  What probably should have happened from the very beginning?  I would be sitting the next hunt with him.  Except, he added one little bit of information that I hadn’t thought of; and that was “if I moved at all, or made a single noise”, he would toss me from the tree.  You know something. I think he would.  Lesson number 4:  If you think its Prime Time and it feels like Prime Time, it probably is Prime Time, so don’t ask.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »
The tree he had picked out for “us” that evening was the same one he’d been in when I broke the silence last hunt.  It had been the perfect tree for observing the sorghum field, and the trail that surrounded had shown good sign.  The only problem was that it was a natural stand, and there were to be no comfortable seats.  There was an upside though; if I did happen to be knocked out of the tree there’d be plenty of branches to slow my descent.  

My father had always been physically strong.  I watched as he pulled himself up to the first branch using only his arms, and upper body.  Once he got a foothold, he reached for my hand and my feet effortlessly left the forest floor.  Before I knew it, I was in the tree following him up through the branches to where we’d make camp for the evening.  Just as I had expected my seat was a branch that was only about 5 inches around, and almost immediately after I straddled it my lower half began to numb.  It was going to be a long sit, but so far this hunt was going better than my other 3 excursions.  

My father and I whispered back and forth, talking about the wind, corridors, and all things hunting.  He wasn’t an expert hunter, but the deer he had taken in the past were more than just lucking on to an unsuspecting deer.  What he lacked in experience he made up for in unwavering stillness, and patience.

I had somewhat gotten used to my seat, and had quickly learned to shift my weight quietly and with little movement.  This allowed the desperately needed blood to flow to my feet and my nether region of which I could feel neither.  Any time I that I began to squirm around, my father would nudge me, reminding me of his promise.  The active woods that we had entered into were starting to quiet down.  I could hear the crickets waking up, and again a cool breeze moved the leaves.  It was almost here, and I could feel it.

I had been looking out across the field when the sound of movement behind us called my attention.  My stomach dropped and my heart raced.  There was something here, something wild, and it was close.  My peripheral vision had not yet caught the animal, but it was moving around us now, closer than just a minute before.  Then, there it was, the first wild animal I had actually seen in its own environment.  I could not believe it, he didn’t know we were there.   At just a couple feet below us at the base of the tree, his beautiful orange red fur caught the rays of the dipping sun.  A Red Fox had found his way to our tree, so close he could have rubbed the base of the tree with his side.  I was in awe.  I had heard how weary these animals were, easily spooked, and a formidable adversary of the trapper, and he was 12-15 ft below me.  Eventually the breeze must have blown right or wrong depending on whose perspective, and he looked straight up the tree.  Our eyes met and although he showed no fear, he knew something was up.  With that, he confidently moved down the path looking for his own meal.

Life was good; and I thought to myself “how it could get better?”  I had completely forgotten about whitetail deer and was hoping the fox would come back.  I listened intently for his padded footsteps.  I was so intent on him that I hadn’t realized until my father pointed out, that the other creatures bigger, and tastier, were on the move.  
My father, always alert had noticed movement coming across the field.  He almost had to point them out with his finger.  The farmer had not cut his field of sorghum, and just the head of the doe poked out like a periscope.  We watched as it slowly moved across the field, and then there was another.  I only counted three or so, but that’s three more deer than I’d ever seen before that day.  Up to now, I had only seen a fox; things were starting to add up.  Once they made it to the trail that we sat along we lost site.  Overhanging branches down the woods edge obscured our line of site.  We waited, hoping they would work there way down the edge toward our position.  Then as the sun dipped below the horizon and the world turned grey, there was a glimpse of white.  The distinct branch shape of an antler hovering over the field just as the doe had done earlier.  Majestic with his crown, he walked cautiously, ever alert.  He wasn’t huge by any means, at least 3 points on one side, the darkness and distance making them harder and harder to make out with each minute.  Then he was gone.  He had followed the same path as the does had done earlier, another route through the woods, unmolested, undisturbed.  I looked at my father, a smile on his face; he mouthed the words “Prime Time”.

That, my friends was my first bow season.  I am sure I will hear their versions of it in a few weeks after we get our fill of thanksgiving turkey.  It’s all welcomed.  It was one of the most memorable years of my life to date.  My father doesn’t hunt anymore, his bout with Polio as a child has caught up with him once again.   Over the last few years, the deterioration has left him unable to walk any real distance without pain, or stand for any period of time.  As much as I’d like to get him out there he’s perfectly content talking about hunting, inspecting my new bows, and hearing my about my seasons.  We had a few more seasons hunting together after that one, but none quite as comical.  The good news is that I have two sons that are looking forward to there first hunts, and things will be different for them.  They will get to spend years studying the hunting shows with there dad on Saturday mornings, they will have the ability to read forums full of information, access satellite maps, and new improved stands.  Most importantly, they will get to hear about their dads first season.

Thanks for letting me share.

Tim
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 06:07:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing that, Tim, I really enjoyed it.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©