3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The new Kestrel II strikes, turkey down  (Read 430 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
The new Kestrel II strikes, turkey down
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »
Had a great first hunt with my new Tolke Kestrel II.  I can't say enough good things about this little bow.  I started out working a bird that was roosted close to my set up in the woods.  Of course he did not use the open landing spot and alley way I expected him to, but came in from the side with 7 jakes.  For some reason he did not like my hen and DSD Jake and slunk off with his entourage.  I use a little half round blind from LL Bean and thought he might have seen me.  I know the two jakes that snuck up from behind did as they alarm putted for quite a while.  That didn't deter the tom and two of his original 8 from coming back and still spooking at the decoy after I did a bunch of calling.  Another tom was closing in but circled out of sight and continued on.

With no active birds around I packed up, returned to the truck and traded the jake decoy for another hen.  climbing back up the hill I proceeded to check and move a game camera (it was a dual purpose trip).  When I got close to a field I gave some yelps on my box call and got an immediate response.  I found a wide spot in an old skidder trail leading to the field and set up.  The opening was only about 7 yards in diameter.  I did some calling and the birds would respond every time, but seemed stuck in place.

After about 15 minutes I decided to pack up, swing around them and get to power line at the upper end of the field.  I figured they would move that way better.  Just as I had the blind all disassembled and rolled up they cut loose with a gobble half way to my location.  I quickly reset the blind and sat back down.  Instead of coming down the field and up the skidder trail they were coming straight through the thick popple regrowth.  I caught a glimpse as they got close and then there was a longbeard followed by a second in strut.  When the strutter stepped into my shooting window I drew and when he lifted his head into a half strut I released.  The arrow hit about two inches higher than I was aiming.  It whistled through his head and he just sat down.  The second tom didn't know what happened and I could have gotten a shot at him if I wasn't already tagged out taking my first allotted bird with a shotgun earlier in the week.  The Treeshark did an amazing job.  I have found out I get 1/4 rotation every 8 yards on my arrows.

Here is a view from the turkey's angle

And of the blind and packseat

The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The new Kestrel II strikes, turkey down
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »
Outstanding hunt, reporting, and outcome, Mike. Sounds like turkeys are more available (plentiful) than when I got my first (and only to date) one there (or here). That was back in Early 1990's, and as I recall, there were only about 3 counties that were even in on the draw for turkey tags in Maine then. Really enjoyed the read and pics.  :clapper:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
I was here back then.  Seemed to get a tag every other year.  There are a decent number of gobblers around, but we are recovering from a winter two years ago that really hit the birds hard.  As long as the winter is reasonable next year should be amazing.  LOTS of jakes around this year.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »
What blind system is that?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
Way to go!

Congrats,

Bisch

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 03:25:00 PM »
Daniel it is called a Stowaway blind, that I got from LL Bean.  Bungee corded poles that snap out.  Compacts to a 5" by 18" bag.  I really like it, but they currently carrying it.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
Congrats on the beautiful bird.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 10:25:00 PM »
Good job and nice bow !

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 10:28:00 PM »
Way to go! Congrats!

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 06:25:00 AM »
:clapper:
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline mikolay87

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 06:31:00 AM »
Nicely done
All Lefties!!!
60” Big Jim’s Desert Bighorn 37@28
56" Toelke Lynx Recurve 50,46,54@27
60” Primal Tech Recurve 35@28
64" Toelke Lynx Longbow 38,47,51@27
64” Impala supreme 37@28

Offline Cyclic-Rivers