3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I've got this old bone with a flint point in it  (Read 1414 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I've got this old bone with a flint point in it
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
Makes me wonder if there's not more to that story.  Perhaps if you went back and looked in that same area long enough you'd find a Native American hunter's pelvis complete with a momma bison's horn suppository!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
I am not educated enough to be able to tell if any healing occurred before the animal's death. If it was successfully harvested, wouldn't you have chopped that head out to use again?

Even though we will never know the whole story, touching the past like that is magic, and humbling.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2017, 05:42:00 PM »
Does this mean that the ancient ones did not always pick a spot?
Sam

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »
The professors, (there were two of them), said that the grey flecking on the bone indicated that it had laid on the surface in an arid or arid like climate. When I acquired the bone I was told it was found in S W Utah, I told them that after their analysis.

I'm speculating that the calf had been wounded and later died unrecovered, otherwise the arrow or at least the arrow point would have been recovered.

I'm also thinking that the shot placement may not have been as far off target as some may think. It stands to reason that the hunter may have been aiming for the paunch or soft area of the animal so as not to have penetration of the arrow stopped by ribs and shoulder bones in a frontal hit. But he missed target slightly hitting the hip bone. A paunch hit would have been lethal and caused the animal to drop out of the herd to die within sight in the open terrain.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
It pleases me that this has drawn the interest of our old friend Killdeer who never fails to disappoint us with her wise observations.

"Even though we will never know the whole story, touching the past like that is magic, and humbling"
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2017, 12:32:00 AM »
I own a bison vertebra with a flint head in it. I bought it from a guy in Montana who picked it up at a jump. I've had it for over 30 years. I wrote a story about it many years ago for Traditional Bowhunter magazine if I'm not mistaken. I sent mine off to an archeological society in Ohio who studied it. I couldn't believe how much they told me about it. It came from the base of the neck of a young bison. It was buried in gravel, not dirt. The hunter either shot uphill at a very steep angle or the bison was lying on its side when hit, which I believe to be the correct answer since it was found at a jump. It had probably first been driven over the buffalo jump and hurt during the fall. They aged mine at 5,000 to 7,000 years old and suggested it was probably killed with an atlatl rather than a bow. This sort of stuff has always fascinated me, as like arrowheads, each piece has an untold story. At 73 years old, I have recently decided to sell a lot of my collectible artifacts in the very near future. I just sold a petrified shed whitetail antler that was aged at over 11,000 years minimum. Its stone, not bone and much like petrified wood. I actually have a collection of seven or eight more that will probably go on the auction block this fall.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2017, 07:54:00 AM »
Yes, great to hear from her again....I was beginning to worry they might find her under an avalanche of "undeliverable mail" at the back of the FMC's PO.  Now, if someone can just coax Noelle out....
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »
Gene, the rumor that you don't read here anymore must not be true.    :saywhat:

At 73 I think you've got some time left before you start selling off your stuff. I'm 81 and just now thinking about selling some of mine. Is there a market for left hand longbows from 80 to over 100#?    :dunno:

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »
Ron, I don't get on here as much as I used to but still check in fairly regularly if only to read and exercise my eyes! As the median age of us old farts rises, there is going to be a big market for new collectors. Kevin Bishop is your man for those old heavyweight bows...not that he can pull them though!

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
Hmmm. Gene's 73? And here all along I thought we were twins and I'm only 72. BW

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2017, 03:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by olddogrib:
Makes me wonder if there's not more to that story.  Perhaps if you went back and looked in that same area long enough you'd find a Native American hunter's pelvis complete with a momma bison's horn suppository!
I always like to imagine that every time i find a broken arrowhead, the other half of it is nearby, lodged in the sternum of a white settler!

Online hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Mr. Laclair that's awesome and was also great reading the comments.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©