3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Love/hate relationship with my 1965 Kodiak  (Read 1088 times)

Re: Love/hate relationship with my 1965 Kodiak
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
Dennis, I just sent you a Powerpoint doc.  Please give me a call when you have a chance to view it.

This is also good input:  
Originally posted by Trumpkin the Dwarf:
Hey Longbow. It may not be form exactly, but the grip is probably pretty different than the rest of your bows (ILF). Could it be that your bow hand is torquing the string out a bit on release, just due to the different grip shape?
For me, the grips on those older bows tend to be challenging.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 11:25:00 AM »
What is your draw length? I never saw that mentioned or either I missed it.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 12:23:00 PM »
Here is one of my 65s.

After reading your comments I got this one which is 45@28. I draw to 27. I am lefty. I shot 30.5" bop 3555s with 175gr points, factory inserts. Three 5" shields. Factory shelf plate and rug. Brace is right at 8". 14 strand flemish B55 with Two Tracks's small scallops. GT factory nock fit is good to the serving, a light snap when the arrow is nocked. I draw to right at 27, but, I am a pull-thru shooter or reluctantly admit, a snap shooter. This is at 15 yards. The arrow impact is about 2"ish left of my point of aim. I am guessing 145gr points on these arrows would do this bow well. My arrow flight with this arrow/point weight is excellent. If I were to go hunting with this, I would build the strikepkate out a hair with the 175s or aim just right of where I wanted to hit and limit myself to a 15 yard or under shot.

The 65s are of the blocky era of Kodiak grips, but it did not cause me any problems. I gripped it with all fingers, not the "OK" sign grip. I much prefer the 70s grips on SKs.

As a lefty my arrows are left (weak), so as a righty yours should be capable of hitting right of your current setup (make them weaker). If everything you're trying isn't working, then you may have to consider it is possibly attributed to form - with that bow. Some bows I just can't shoot well, like my 62 Kodiak Magnum. That grip and my hand just do not get along. I love the bow, but it doesn't like my style of shooting.

Retirement is great when you can read a post and go outside to try something and then report back right away on a Thursday afternoon.....  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
What is your draw length? I never saw that mentioned or either I missed it.
I draw 28.5" Thanks to everyone for your tips and advice. I'm going to work on this and see what I can do to correct this.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
Any luck on getting back on target?  Pun intended too.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 12:34:00 AM »
Longbow, how are your fletched and bareshafts impacting in relation to each other? Are bareshafts impacting left of fletched or are they grouping together, only left of intended target?

If the latter, simply adjust your string blur further toward the arrow. If string blur is just outside the riser (right side) at full draw, bring it to the middle of the riser.

I have a few bows that tune perfectly, but don't shoot down the middle as compared to my go to bows. After about 30 arrows consiously paying attention to the new string blur location, it becomes natural.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 12:38:00 AM »
And I've seen your form videos over in the shooters forum. It ain't your form  ;)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2017, 06:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by cpnhgnlngct:
Longbow, how are your fletched and bareshafts impacting in relation to each other? Are bareshafts impacting left of fletched or are they grouping together, only left of intended target?

If the latter, simply adjust your string blur further toward the arrow. If string blur is just outside the riser (right side) at full draw, bring it to the middle of the riser.

I have a few bows that tune perfectly, but don't shoot down the middle as compared to my go to bows. After about 30 arrows consiously paying attention to the new string blur location, it becomes natural.
Great idea, Matt. Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 06:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by J. Holden:
Any luck on getting back on target?  Pun intended too.

-Jeremy   :coffee:  
I had to order a new bow string, so I haven't made any of the corrections that have been suggested by the fine members on this site.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2017, 06:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by cpnhgnlngct:
And I've seen your form videos over in the shooters forum. It ain't your form   ;)  
Thanks, brother. I appreciate your compliment!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »
All of my older Bears bare shaft and shoot beautifully with shafts that you would think way too weak.  I think the bow may be telling you something....
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 06:14:00 PM »
Braveheart,

I'll  bite. What wood shafts would you begin tuning with for a '65 Kodiak 45@28 and I draw 28.5"?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©