3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Super Duper Hog info thread  (Read 14241 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Duper Hog info thread
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2006, 02:34:00 PM »
Rusty,
I'm so proud! Me remembering sumpin from 2 years?!  :eek:  

Guess that thing about half-heimers is true...long term memory lasts, short don't. Can't remember what/if I had for breakfast!

Great read even 2nd time around. I love that part of the pig cussin mikey...2 times! Blood just a pouring out... "c'mon down here coward and I'll shove that li'l stick poker of  yours where da sun don't shine!" (pig translation)

I think the best image for giggles was you two trying to load that big hog inta th truck!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »
dang that is just beautiful JC.  what a goat  :)

DocNock if Wingnut was not a strong as an ox "we" would never have got the pig  loaded in one piece  :)   I make sure my hunting buds are stronger, smarter and better hunters than I am before I go with 'em  :)

I just don't hunt big pigs anymore.  I like them purse size, think ya very much.  I hog tie all four their legs together and throw 'em over I shoulder and carry 'em out like a purse.  About 5 or 6 months after they lose their strips will do just fime for my macho image  :)

rusty -not too tall, not too smrat, but real tricky- Craine

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2006, 04:41:00 PM »
Sweet Ram JC. Real nice!

Hey, didn't Guru kill a wopper hog a year or two ago. I wonder what the specifics were on location, bedding, hunt techniques, etc. Seems there may be a few things to learn from that big girl too. CK

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2006, 04:47:00 PM »
Sorry Curtis, didn't mean to highjack the thread about the ram, just hate people bashin high fences that haven't hunted em. You can tell by the lean in the trees, that is some rough country. And everything there is covered in something spiny or sharp whiterock.

Yeah, Guru did kill one that looked like VW bug was in his avatar I think before that hoss buck. Speak up Curt, school's still in session.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2006, 05:34:00 PM »
Aww, I don't see a hijack. Nice ram though. I aint touchin the fence issue. Just techniques from here on out Bud. Just techniques!

You guys who've been emailing for info should start asking openly so that everyone gets to learn or share ideas. CK

Offline Scott G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »
Here's a question for you Curtis (I didn't email you with this question, but I was thinking about it).

When I hunt deer in Texas it's from a treestand and I try to do everything I can for scent control.  Clothes washed in no-scent detergent, Scott washed in no-scent soap, rubber boots, probably scent-loc if it isn't too dang hot, scent loc head mask whether it's too hot or not.

When your stalking hogs how much scent control do you personally use?

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »
Thanks to all of you folks!  Curtis, especially!  Never thought much about hog hunting but it just went on my "must-do" list.  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2006, 12:33:00 AM »
Ok, I am curious how many people use 2 vs 3 blade broadheads and what grains/lb.  I am thinking of some 2020s with 100gr inserts for about 650 grains with Wensel Woodsmans.  Shoots real nice out of my Fedora 54 lbs at 27 1/2 in long bow.  Does anyone carry 2 blade for 200 lbs on up pigs and 3 blade for smaller pigs?

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2006, 01:24:00 AM »
oh man I like the 2020 a lot. I shoot them out of a bit heavier bow and no extra weightg up front but 'em skinny little shafts will pentatrate.  I used to be sold on two blade but I'm always open to changing my mind. The woodsman did change my mind.  65# recuve and a tuned 2020 with a three balde woodmans is death on a stick  :)

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2006, 01:35:00 AM »
beyondmyken, in fact ya know what,  in this day of carbon arrows and the return to wooden hours the 2020 is likely the best kept secert of pig hunters  :)  of course it want necesarily shoot out of the "my 50# bow will kill anything" bows  :)  but if ya got enough bow to fly it it will be a bane to big pigs

rusty

Offline tms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2006, 01:36:00 AM »
2020s?

Oh man, don't tell me that; I'm going to Texas tomorrow for my first bowhunt , for hogs, with the Wensels.  I decided on 2117s with a 40gr adapter and WW for a 640gr arrow out of my 50# Thunderbird, or my 60# bamboo backed jatoba longbow.  I figure I get somewhere around 34 ft. llbs. of KE, if that means anything.  Mostly, I was just satisfied with the "whump" factor I got on the foam target.

Tom

Offline mo bo hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2006, 07:47:00 AM »
does hunting hogs in the swow make it more difficult or make it easy wehave about 4 in. of fresh snow and thougt i would go later
WIDOW PCH 44#
PREADTOR CLASSIC 58#
DREAMCATCHER 50#
BROWNING EXPLORER 35#

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »
You are gonna be fine with that set-up Tom. Just shoot straight!

Scent Control Excellent question.
I guess Im going have to talk about this in general terms. I need to do this because most hunters hunt the weekends or a few times a month. For these hunters scent control is quite attainable and is of utmost importance when hunting pigs. The better your scent is controlled or eliminated, the higher your success rates will surely be. Pigs have a sence of smell that is truly incredible. I still do not know how they can smell food a foot under the ground. Remember the fletching on your arrows, your quiver, boots, hat, leather grip on your bow, etc when exercizing scent control. Ah yes, Breth! Breath is your biggest stink factor. Mix some baking soda in a Baby food jar with water. Place it in your daypack and just before you go hunt, shake it up and rinse your mouth very well. This will give you a great deal of control with scent. Using the wind to your advantage is the greatest tool but only works when you yourself are mobile. If you are stand hunting you really can't use the wind but are actually at the winds mercy. I personally try very hard to remain scent free but there is just so much I can do. I hunt 3-4 days a week and it gets really hard to guarantee I'll remain non-smelly. I do hang my camo on the fence when I get in after the hunt so they can air out. I try and not leave my quiver or arrows anywhere that they will soak up lots of smell. This year I experimented extensively with scent control products. I must say they work incredibly well on deer but every  hog that got down-wind still busted me. You can't imagine how many times I got busted for the few measly hogs I did shoot. So, I suppose the answer to the question is to really watch your scent and play the wind when at all possible. CK

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2006, 08:04:00 AM »
Snow!  :scared:   Hell no! Stay inside where it's warm. Ain't any pig worth going out in the snow for!!!! LOL!  :bigsmyl:  

Seriously, We had a foot of snow in deep south Texas last Christmas. I never miss hunting on my birthday, the day after Christmas so I was out in the nasty stuff. What I found was that if I had snow in Texas all the time, there wouldn't be many hogs left to hunt. The snow made it as easy to find them as I've ever seen. If you have snow and you've been having a problem locating the hogs, you'd better get out in it and work all day till you hit a cross trail in the snow. Don't plan on hunting them if the snow has a crust on it but at least use the snow for locating them bedding. Come back in a few days when the snow is gone and tag one. The snow led me straight to hogs last Christmas but getting a shot was impossible in the crunching snow. It sure was a bright memory for me though. The prickley pear cactus looked quite surreal covered in white. Here's your chance to locate the bedding area of those big boars you've been talking about. Please report your findings. CK

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2006, 08:05:00 AM »
I agree on the scent Curtis. Hogs are very different from deer- in my opinion the only thing that makes then less difficult to kill than a whitetail is their gluttony!

If a hog smells you- he isn't going to confirm that with eyes or ears- he's out of there right then!

You ever notice how a deer will smell you and then look for you- or hear you and then try to smell or see you?

Hogs are smarter, friends...they don't need confirmation- they bust it getting gone!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: February 18, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »
Thank you Ray! That is a great observation. They even think they've smelled something and all you see is hiney's going away from you. What about snow Ray? You hunt snow in your area don't you? CK

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2006, 08:39:00 AM »
let's see hogs in the snow.

My first hog hunt ever was in the snow.  However I didn't know it.  My dad and I were in NE Washington state and hunting whitetails and mules.  Nope them ain't hogs just deer.  But we were going along a base of a ridge and cut about 6 sets of very fresh tracks moving into the winds so we followed up and over the ridge and into a quiet little draw.  We could hear em moving ahead and slowed to a snails pace.  Then all of a sudden there they were.  Six beautiful hampshire feral hogs.  Only they had been feral for about an hour.  They excaped from the farmers pen down the road.

We yucked it up and headed on for our deer hunt.  And stopped by later to tell the farmer where his hogs were.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Lee in S.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2006, 09:28:00 AM »
On the subject of scent control... I had a big ole brindle colored boar that I had seen and hunted him for a month before I finally had the wind right and he gave me a shot. He would come in to about 60-75 yds and if he smelled something he didnt like he would turn and go back the way he came. The little pigs and sows would charge right in and feed but the big boy always hung back and checked the scene. I finally closed the deal and had to drag him out of a clearcut through knee deep water. Finally resorted to a 4 wheeler to get him to the road. This pics an oldie but a goodie.

Offline Horne's Archery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2006, 02:05:00 PM »
Well here's one for the table.My buddy Jim called yesterday to see if I wanted to go start some hog holes.After getting a pass I said yes around 4:00,so the work party was on.
Durring the drive Jim told me the Care Taker of his inlaws ranch had a problem with a hog.This hog is a 300 plus .lber.Now the problem is the hog will just stand there and gral at them on there nature walks.Two days ago the hog traped Chuck in the barn in the midle of the day.
This hog,and 25 or so herd hogs are running in a thick wooded wash that runs North and South not 2000 yards from the house.The wend generaly blows North or South.I think the herd has a saw in het,and thats keeping him in the area.
Any angles on taking this hog is apreciatet.
Off to work right now.

Mark

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2006, 02:41:00 PM »
Curtis, snow here is so unusual it tends to shut things down a little...I've hunted deer here in snow, but never pigs...Coastal area of SC where I hunt (about 35 miles inland from Hilton Head) rarely gets the white stuff!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©