3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Did Howard Hill train to shoot?  (Read 1529 times)

Online ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
How Did Howard Hill train to shoot?
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »
I read this quote:

"Everybody wants to shoot like me, but nobody wants to train like me!" -Howard Hill

So, How did Howard Train to shoot the bow?

Is there a written description of how Howard trained?

Re: How Did Howard Hill train to shoot?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
I know that he had a weight rig on a pulley.  He also worked on the fine points of his shooting form, shooting many more arrows than most people ever when working on form particulars.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »
By shooting lots and lots of arrows and knowing his equipment and the trajectory of his arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »
I read once that he had piles of sand on his property and shot frequently using the sand piles as backstop.  To me, that speaks to the idea that he was not much into paper and scoring rings.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
You may be right there monterey.  But, 196 consecutive field archery wins leads me to wonder.

I don't know how he trained, but he must have done something with paper targets.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
He also had the ability to make the transition from the static target to the variable target. "Make up your mind, boys, whether you want to hunt or shoot targets, because the two just don't go together."

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »
It is not that at all.  It is what Hill said, so in his opinion, there were different aspects to consider.  Sheesh, really? That gets a sheesh? The discussion is how did he train, so within that training, there must be something that took him beyond the standard target thumping. Shooting moving targets in practice and for shows was beyond the standard target game.

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »
"When asked how he hit moving targets so easily, Howard replied, “You have to train your eye to look at a single spot. If it’s a man, you look at a shirt button; if it’s a Coca Cola sign, you look at the center of an O...”

I think he used the high poundage bows to help with the speed to get moving targets.

The entire article here:
 http://discoverstclair.com/st-clair-history/howard-hill/

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 04:42:00 PM »
I would suggest reading the book..
 you'll find out all sorts of things. It's an incredible read.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 05:07:00 PM »
He shot until the damn fletches fell off LOL
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 09:17:00 PM »
Great feedback.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
He shot until the damn fletches fell off LOL
:thumbsup:  Bingo
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 10:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
You may be right there monterey.  But, 196 consecutive field archery wins leads me to wonder.

I don't know how he trained, but he must have done something with paper targets.

Arne
Oh, Arne, I wasn't suggesting that he eschewed paper shooting.  Obviously he was highly skilled at it.  Sometimes I wonder if his advice to decide targets or hunting was his recommendation to others but at the same time something that he himself had transcended.

Just my thoughts but I'm certainly not very Hill knowledgeable.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 11:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Now Terry, with all due respect, that seems a little flippant. Which book?  There are libraries full of them.
homebru

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 11:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Homebru:

Originally posted by Terry Green:
Now Terry, with all due respect, that seems a little flippant. Which book?  There are libraries full of them.
homebru [/b]
I think he's referring to Hunting the Hard Way, but I'm not sure.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 11:30:00 PM »
Sorry that wasn't meant to be flippant....yes hunting the hard way.... that's what I get for assuming everyone would know

Arn if you read the book you'll find out about Target versus Hunting.  He was accomplished at both ...EXTREMELY....hense the quote posted by Pavan.

There are so many pieces to the Howard Hill puzzle it's really unfair to comment on something he said if you don't know the whole picture ....it's like taking 3 pieces of a puzzle you've never seen and trying to explain the whole picture
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 12:21:00 AM »
Terry, I see that post Dennis made is gone.  I understood that he was missing some of the info that I had.  I have had numerous conversations with Ted Ekin and John Schulz over the years,  My reply was just me smarting back at him a little.  I have no complaints what so ever with him. We have been having a fun PM conversation. Nor do I care if someone wants to shoot different than I do, we are all wired different and have different levels of experience.  I started out being a lucky shot instinctive shooter as a kid, turned dedicated target shooter with all of the various high grade gear, to becoming a Hill style shooter. Back in the early 70s adding Hill bows to my hunting and leaving the target stuff for just target shooting, I harassed and bled John and Ted for all of the information that I could get and they willingly shared it with me.

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 08:30:00 AM »
Hill was a natural athlete who probably put in as many hours as an Olympian. Most of us are working jobs where we don't get that opportunity, or have other responsibilities that take our time.

I suppose the same is true today, too. The top shooters are always the folks putting in the most time and focus. Although that sort of goes for anything. If you want something you have to work for it.

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
I am no way a Hill expert, but have had pleasure of learning about the man.  One of his favorite saying's was "Everyone wants to shoot like me, but no one want's to practice like me".  Howard was a gifted athlete.  He was a baseball player, football player, and and very accomplished Golfer.  He is said to train with pulling several bows for building the muscles for heavy bows.  I believe his ability came from a life long dedication and pursuit of actually shooting.  He built up to heavy bows, he practiced likely more in a week than many of us do in a year.  Keep in mind, he made the time to do it, it was before TV and many other disctractions we have today.  He had a target butt at the door of the house and shop.  Everytime he went from one to the other, he shot 12 arrows.  Every time he would see game, he would practice his "air" shot, without tackle.  Couple natural ability, with long hard practice, life long dedication and very frugal about proper tackle will equate to a legend.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
Believe I read once that he had a bow, strung and at the ready, at the back door and front door of his home.  Would shoot a few as he passed through.  

Just an incredibly, naturally gifted archer.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©