3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brodhead for elk  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Beaneye

• Trad Bowhunter
Brodhead for elk
« on: May 20, 2017, 04:49:00 PM »
I got drawn for archery bull elk in Kentucky !! I shoot a Predator takedown about 52 lbs at my draw. Been shooting 525 gr arrows which I'm considering increasing to about 575 gr. What broadheads do you guys recommend for elk.

Thanks

Offline bhylton

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brodhead for elk
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »
rms cutthroat

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by bhylton:
rms cutthroat
That's what I use, which in and of itself don't mean much, but I know a lot of guys that actually kill Elk that swear by them! They do sharpen easily and keep their edge very well!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 06:50:00 PM »
I've killed them with Zwickey 4-blade deltas, and STOS two-blade heads.  Any good COC broad head will do.

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
Congrats on your tag! I missed out AGAIN!!!!!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
Hard to beat anything from Grizzly.  Had I drawn I'd of been taking the new bruin head from them.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 09:22:00 PM »
First, congratulations drawing the tag.

You are currently shooting 10 grains per pound of draw weight.  If your arrows are well tuned too your bow I wouldn't change anything.

If you insist on changing, I agree with Orion, though my broadhead preference is an Eclipse or Grizzly:

Originally posted by Orion:
I've killed them with Zwickey 4-blade deltas, and STOS two-blade heads.  Any good COC broad head will do.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 03:14:00 AM »
What you have should be plenty with an efficient broadhead. Anything 2 blade or narrow 3 blade would be my choice. Good luck!!

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
RMS Cutthroat
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
Here's a picture of a Kentucky bull I snapped in 2013 while on vacation. It was a ways away, so the picture isn't that great, but you get the idea.

Hope you find one just like him!

Mike
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »
Congrats on the tag!! I wouldn't change that bow setup. Just work on being as accurate as you can possibly be. Lots of broadhead choices, but whatever you choose make sure it's scary sharp. Good luck!!

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
Congrats on that draw. I'd use anything super sharp

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
I've shot 2 with the 3 Rivers Woodsman Élite. Total penetration at 30/35 yards. Good Luck.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
I wouldn't go up in arrow weight as it  sounds like your setup now is working well.  I like  the Woodsman 3 blades for elk.  Big hole and you have plenty of power to get two holes.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
Congrats on the tag that I failed to draw myself.  I killed my last elk with a heavy STOS 2-blade but am currently in love with the heavy Grizzly Bruins.  Planning to put them to serious use this fall, after trying them this spring on hogs to good effect.  I think they are excellent broadheads.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »
Grizzly single bevel sharpened on a wheel
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
I've killed elk with muzzy, zwicky Eskimo, and grizzly Kodiak. The grizzly left the best blood trail.

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 02:29:00 AM »
Congratulations on your draw. I shot my elk last year with a Grizzly Stik samurai (2 blade single bevel). 150gr head on a 500gr total arrow.  That said, I've switched over RMS Cutthroats and will probably try the new Boner Broadheads which are very similar to cutthroats in construction but have a curved blade. They are a little narrower which should make tuning a breeze and be less effected by wind. For me accuracy is more important than an eight inch in the wound. Either way, if you are shooting carbons or alluminums I would definitely go with a one piece single bevel. One piece eliminates any error with being glued on to your insert perfectly or ferrule alignment inconsistencies. If you are shooting wood shafts, any of the tried and true glue on single bevels would be the route I would take.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 12:30:00 PM »
Congrats on the tag.  Elk have a pretty large chest cavity that you need to adequately penetrate.  At your draw weight I would suggest a properly sharpened 2-blade head on a moderately heavy shaft, as you have suggested.  Multi-blades are fine if you have enough energy behind the arrow but if you hit leg or shoulder muscle it will really impede penetration.  Good luck!
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »

Scarpa is the brand boot Rmsgear is carrying.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©