3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need to increase total weight  (Read 1126 times)

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need to increase total weight
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
Lone hunter, you think 480 is to light for an elk.
Actually after further testing I put a 300 grain field point on a 340 with a aluminum insert and it flew really well. Does the insert not change spine. It trued it out more than a 250 grain head with a 100 grain brass insert. That is wierd it's 50 grains lighter

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 08:13:00 AM »
Before you get rid of those shafts, measure the inside diameter of your arrows. Then go to the pet store, and look for fish tank tubing. It's plastic, and I believe it comes in multiple diameters. You can buy that pretty cheap, and cut lengths of it to fit inside your arrow shafts. It'll be quiet, and will add a lot of weight!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
480 grains is enough for elk, velocity has something to do with penetration too ya know. All the years we never weighed our arrows and most of the time we got complete penetration sometimes a pass through just using 125 grain broadheads.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »
Also, just increasing the total arrow weight versus increasing tip weight can greatly decrease FOC. I shoot full length GT Hunter's which aren't a real heavy GPI with 250 up front and my arrow weight is 560ish grains. Maybe you could shorten up your existing arrows and add more tip weight
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
I just was in this same boat. I use paracord. It's quite too. Didn't like weight tubes cuz of noise. I was at 435 gr and with paracord I'm at 515 now. And cheap. 100 ft of chord is like $8 bucks and will do a ton of arrows and you have emergeny chordage if ever needed.
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline 96ssportsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2017, 07:45:00 PM »
I shoot 32 also. Weird things happen at longer draw lengths. My carbon options are full length Carbon Express Heritage 250 & 350's frontloaded with GT weights to an overall weight of 620 & 670 grains. I shoot 125 tips and bhs. My bow is 55@32.
Just had some woods built that are footed and 33" bop. They average 720-730 overall. Just my .02 cents.
Scott.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom

Raptor Sig LB- 64 55 @ 32

Raptor Sig LB- 62 45 @ 32

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
Where are you at in Colorado?  

I run close to the same setup just a little shorter on DL, 400 with 125 grain tips and the 340 with a 100 grain brass and same 125 tip both bare shaft perfect for me on a full length arrow for me.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
Adding the weight in front of the shaft has more influence than weight behind the front of the shaft,as you've seen.

If you add full length weight like para cord inside the shaft,it will drastically stiffen the dynamic spine and you will have to increase point weight and re=tune.It doesn't matter how flexible the rope or tubing is,it will change the tune.

I would search out heavier,.400 gr shafts and tune them up.Even then,you might need a different point weight than you have now.

You could also try 300gr glue-on points with steel adapters on your 340's.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©