3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are You Any Good?  (Read 3544 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Are You Any Good?
« on: May 20, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
Please participate, any and all. Just as the topic implores, would you consider yourself a good shot?  In addition to voting, please post the number of years that you've been at this traditional archery business.  Thanks in advance.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are You Any Good?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »
Started with a small yellow fiberglass bow when I was about 6 or 7, around 1956.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
Got my first bow around the age of 10 so 53 years, ish...

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »
35 yrs trad.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
I guess around 10-12 years of shooting. A 10 year gap in there somewhere. Never had much guidance at all... books early on, then learning a whole lot in the years I've been aroung this site.
All in all, I consider my shooting "OK" at this point, so I chose the good days/bad days option, which is largely how it goes (more good days than bad days, these days!)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
A couple years in my tweens, then didn't come back to it until about 7 years ago.  Been at it full time since then.  Shoot almost daily.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
I have my days. It's about like golf! Going to 3D shoots and seeing others shoot. I would say I'm just a bit over average. Started with  a Darton wheel bow in 82. Bought my first Trad bow in 95 hunted with it a few years then took a big compound hiatus. Took the old bow out about 4 years ago and killed a deer with it. Been back into it full bore ever since. Now I have a whole room full of recurves and longbows.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
I consider myself a pretty fair shot on a good day. Less so on a bad day. I generally have more O.K. days, though. One way I describe myself is that on some days I am an archer, but on other days, I am just a clown with a bow in his hand.

I started archery in 1959 (age 10) but did not shoot seriously ubtil I was a teenager. Even then, I spent more time with the rifle than the bow. In the 1980's, I became much more serious with the bow, and by 1990, when I tried a longbow, was really into bow hunting. 22 years ago I stopped deer hunting with a rifle altogether, with the exception of taking one deer with black powder.

All of my bowhunting has been with traditional gear. When I got started, there was no such thing as a compound bow, and I never saw any reason to get one. Yes, I was greatly influenced by the adventures of Howard Hill, which may explain my attraction to Hill style longbows. Essentially, that's all I shoot now.
Sam

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
I am not afraid to say it, I work damn hard. My practice sessions go for 2 or more hours, sometimes several sessions a day.  I need to be a good shot, my favored game is fast, small, and quite often not sitting around waiting for me to get off a second shot. To hit a sitting dove one needs to be a good shot.  To hit a flying dove, one needs a miracle.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 09:48:00 PM »
I'm like Pavan, I shoot everyday and work hard at it. I feel that we as hunters owe that to our quarry. I have hit the same place twice every now and then. Even took a couple apart because I needed the arrows. Been at it 45 yrs                                                                
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Online Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 09:50:00 PM »
Just over a year for me.  My answer is NO, not a good shot.  Some days are pretty good, some I'm all over the place.  To me, that means not good.  So I just keep practicing, 4-5 days a week.

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »
My dad started me shooting after I watched him shoot. I was five or six years old and that would have been in 1951 or 52. So that means that I have been shooting for many years, but you have to exclude the years for college because I was both working and going to school full time.

Regards,
Grouse

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 10:28:00 PM »
j just have fun shooting my bow. I have for the past 18 years

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 10:42:00 PM »
I started in the summer of 1963 .
Been shootin' every sense .    :archer:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jerry womble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »
Been shooting the bow for 72 of my 78 years. Don't plan on quitting
any time soon.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 11:24:00 PM »
I started four years ago and shoot every day for at least 20 minutes. I have my on and off days.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 11:25:00 PM »
I think I was eight when I got my first bow, went to the dark side when I was eighteen and didn't come back to the light until mid 40's. Been trad for about 12 years now.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 11:51:00 PM »
Bout 12 years Trad only, for me. Had been shooting compound since a kid, about 25 years. I shoot pretty often. It's addictive.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 11:55:00 PM »
Any good???? Lol, that's kinda subjective isnt it? If my shooting is meant for elephant, I wouldn't have to be near as tight of a shooter as pavan and his doves....but it would be good for elephants.. Compared to Hill, I stink royally! Been shooting for almost 30 years traditionally.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 12:10:00 AM »
Almost 50 years since starting, minus about 20 years in the middle when I was too busy with kids and work.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©