3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are You Any Good?  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are You Any Good?
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
Started shooting in 1990 when I received my MR Hamilton Scorpion Longbow.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Holybeardman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
Started three weeks ago as a new experience with my Fiancé.

Been a lot of fun and learning so much over the last few weeks.

Started off with a 30# Fleetwood Monarch (sage knockoff)

Thinking I can move up in weight over the next while but not pushing it.

I'm just here to learn all I can and these forums are an incredible tool to this point!
Toelke Whip 60" 51# @ 28"

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »
Welcome Kevin!! There is much knowledge here for sure!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »
Got my first real bow in 1980 at the age of 14. It was a 45# Pearson recurve. I shoot almost everyday and I am better now at 51 yo than I have ever been. The last three arrows that I have launched at game have connected. This includes two squirrels and a dove. Not very large targets for sure. I have learned several things from this forum that have improved my shooting. I now have confidence that I can pull off any reasonable shot that's within my range. It is from diligent practice and discipline and not from any unique talent on my part. I am still learning as I go.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline Dennis Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
I have 8mm film of me shooting a bow in 1957 when I was 10. Shott off and on through my teens and Army years, then picked up a bow again for the long haul in 75. Shoot pretty consistently.

Offline Elewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
I am certainly improving.  I have my off days.  Last 3 days were good and continuing to get better.  Been at it for 2 years but have been recently trying to practice consistently.
Current bow (and first): Bear Grizzly 50#

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2017, 07:17:00 AM »
Good? Heck, I'm a legend in my own mind! I never miss, its always the arrow's fault!

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2017, 05:02:00 PM »
Didn't start shooting until about a year after  after I started reading NFAA's "Archery" magazine. Borrowed them from our Explorer scout hut and wore them out sitting over the edge of the floor furnace at home trying to read and keep warm at the same time.

First time to shoot an event was my introduction to field archery as a member of the Oklahoma City Archery Association in February 1962. First two bows: '62 Kodiak Magnum and a '63 Tamerlane proudly bought with my own money.  

Kill paper plates "pretty-good" now at short 3-D distances out back with a rack of old rosewoods.

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2017, 11:50:00 PM »
I'm going on about 12 years now. I have to admit, I found Tradgang about the same time I started. It was a tremendous wealth of knowledge that helped me progress rather rapidly because I really didn't know squat other than I wanted to shoot trad. It didn't take long before I was able to hit softballs at 20 yards. After getting my form down, I also learned how to tune a bow and shafts and the whole process became much more effortless. I also have to say I've tried so many different styles of bows and other gear I know what I like, and what works best for me.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline Horserod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2017, 11:51:00 PM »
My Dad gave me a new 30# Bear bow for Christmas in 1957.....Been shooting ever since. Going on 60 years now. Went from recurves to longbows after making friends with Ron Laclair in 1982. I am learning to shoot left handed now since my serious bicycle accident 3 years ago. I love shooting the Hill style longbow too much to stop flinging arrows. I'm not doing too bad left handed, but, I'm not as accurate as I was right handed. Me and my grandson shoot together....he's a lefty, so we're both learning together and having fun.  I still get a thrill watching the flight of my arrows I shoot! I've had a long love affair with archery.....: )  Horserod

« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2017, 06:34:00 AM »
I went from right hand to left because of a finger injury, I still shoot right handed, but I need to not get carried away. I did an experiment yesterday with Groves recurve, which is not the easiest pointing creature, when compared to my Hill style bows.  Shooting just 6 1918 arrows, I shot 30 arrows and held each shot for several seconds and split image aimed as refined as I could.  I put my red ball on the ground as my secondary position and made certain that my feet were on the exact spot for every shot from 22 yards. My target was an 8 inch cardboard disc, white with a 50 cent sized black dot in the center , then five inch circle.  I missed it completely 3 times, but kept track of the hits. Then I went into the house got a glass of water,  went back out with the same bow and arrows and shot another 30 shots.  I shot at the same target, from the same distance, but moved around a bit and shot every arrow with a smooth 2 second tempo with no secondary target ball and released every arrow as soon as a good anchor was made.  I never missed the disc, I hit the black dot four times, just two times with the hard aiming, and had more arrows in the five inch circle.  My goal is to get that or better with a Hill style bow with a one second shot tempo. So far I have been shooting left handed at a two second tempo, I would like to be able to speed that up when needed.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2017, 06:52:00 AM »
That is very methodical Paven, I like it.     :clapper:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by jerry womble:
Been shooting the bow for 72 of my 78 years. Don't plan on quitting
any time soon.
THAT ^^^ is awesome! hope I am as fortunate to go so long.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
Good shot as long as I stay in my effective range.
<25yards.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2017, 05:11:00 PM »
I've been shooting traditional archery for about 7 years. I never shot wheelie bows.
  Some days I'm great and some days I'm horrible.
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »
Depends on whether I'm shooting to impress the people around me, or when I'm shooting to get the job done.  When people are watching, I usually fall apart.  When I'm alone, trying to shoot a leaf or a butterfly, or a tennis ball... or a chipmunk.  I usually shoot pretty well in those settings.  Well enough to be happy with my accuracy.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
I know just what you mean Archie. I too tend to shoot my best when there isn't an audience.  I'm a great shot- you'll just have to take my word for it.    :biglaugh:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2017, 06:58:00 AM »
I chose   "I have my days," mainly because the other two are too arbitrary.  

I feel I'm good at what I choose to do, how I choose to do it, and at the distances I choose to do it at.  All my practice is geared toward those things.

I'm not particularly good at the things I don't practice.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
Well, after the way I just shot at the Howard Hill shoot, I need change my answer to "NO!". I did very poorly. My shoulder does just fine for part of a round but does not hold up for the entire course. Luckily, I can do a few warm up shots and then shoot solidly for 15 or 20 arrows. Good enough for accurate hunting. Besides, if I need that many shots on a deer, it is past time to go home.
Sam

Offline aroflyte

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
been shooting since i was five. I'm 64. most people consider me a good shot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©