3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Manitoba Stickflingers 2017 bearhunt photo restored  (Read 9369 times)

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Manitoba Stickflingers 2017 bearhunt photo restored
« on: May 20, 2017, 11:43:00 PM »
Sort of a Part Deux for me as I went in 2015 as well.

This week was an expansion as Ryan Derlago  had more tags given to him at the last minute  by the Provincial Government. I am guessing this is probably the earliest he has guided for bear.

There were three hunters in camp this week, where usually Ryan has six hunters per week. I will give a narrative of my week only.

On day one, I was at a stand I had never hunted before. It was a great setup but for whatever reason the bear did not cooperate. I did not see a single bear, which was a first for me.

On the next day Ryan took me to Determination. This is a stand that in the past has had a lot of opportunity to see bear. It did not disappoint me. Eight bear came into the bait, including a sow with two young cubs. The first bear in was very close to being a target, but I caught myself thinking "boy, In a couple of years this bear is really going to be a nice one". So I decided to pass on him.

The sow proved to be entertaining until it was time to leave, then it got a little more serious.  She was aggressively protecting her cubs against all bear.  When she was busy eating at the bait site,  a bear snuck into the area by the tree where the cubs were perched in.  He was on his hind legs with front paws leaning on the tree searching upwards for the little guys.

The sow attack was so quick and fierce, that I had very little doubt about what would happen if I surprised her by climbing down. I ended up sitting in the stand for an extra hour before Ryan drove back to the site to see what was delaying me.

Wednesday was even better, I arrived as usual and began to climb up the ladder stand. As I strapped my seat cushion on the stand, I turned and glanced at the bait to find a bear watching me. Where had he come from?

I saw 12 bear that evening,  no doubt a few were repeat visitors.  Still, I saw one bear that was close to what I wanted to take, but I decided not to as I had two more days to hunt. What?? Two more days only? Where had the time gone?

I read somewhere about never turning  down an opportunity to shoot animal on the first day that you would be happy with on the last day. I still have trouble with that.

On Thursday Ryan suggested I sit at Bell Lake Road bait (BLR). I knew it well as I had taken my first bear there two years ago.

It was between that and Too Close stand. There was good sign of a big bear at BLR, but Polar Griz  and Baboon Butt were still roaming Too Close as well,  so it was a toss up.

In the end we decided on BLR.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Manitoba Stickflingers 2017 bearhunt photo restored
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 12:35:00 AM »
The hunt at BLR was bad from the beginning. As I started to climb up the stand, I obviously startled a bear that was arriving at the bait.  A few snorts, and he bounded off into the  brush.

The beauty of hunting at Ryan's is if you get hungry there is a whole barrel of trail mix right there to eat. I had taken a couple of scoops from the box (back at camp) yesterday. As I was hungry I reached in and started munching away. That is only necessary when you forget to take one of Ryan's Bear Bait Bars.

Unfortunately, some of the peanut got caught in my throat and I was heading towards a serious cough. I was prepared tho, so I sucked about four cough drops until the urge passed.

However, later that day the urge to cough came back. I climbed down to the ground and went over to the bait barrel and kicked it while coughing to cover up the sound.

I guess it worked because about thirty minutes later I saw a large black shape heading towards the bait.

Ryan had told me that I had seen enough bear now that when a big bear came in, there would be no doubt when I saw it.

There was none. This guy looked huge.

I lost sight of him for about three or four minutes. When he arrived, he sat down on the other side of a big spruce tree, away from me.

Slowly he got up and came around the tree facing me. Giving me no shot opportunity.  When he reached the barrel, he immediately laid down broadside to me.

Ryan had preached to me "do not attempt to shoot a bear laying down" many times so I did not.

But still, as I watched him laying there eating,  the thought occurred to me that it should be doable. I could see why others had attempted it. It looked possible to get an arrow between his ribs.

I have to admit about three times I caught myself thinking that I could make the shot. But each time [in my mind] I heard Ryan saying "don't do it, the shoulder slides back further than you think, you will just hit the shoulder blade.  In the end, I waited.

A VERY good decision

After about ten minutes he stood up offering a perfectly broadside shot.

I had been practising for this shot all winter. I even had a little mantra I repeated.

PICK THE SPOT
DRAW SMOOTHLY, SLOWLY
ANCHOR, PULLING THE ARROW BACK UNTIL THE BROADHEAD TOUCHES THE RISER.
LET THE STRING slip OFF THE FINGERS

I did all of those things. I was on autopilot. I released the arrow. That beautiful Tall Tines recurve launched that beautiful Douglass Fir arrow made by Snag, tipped with a very sharp Zwickey  Delta two blade directly  at my spot.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 12:57:00 AM »
Too bad my spot apparently was about an inch over that bear's back, because that was where  my arrow flew.

I couldn't believe it. I had practised over and over for this opportunity, and I blew it.

I have known other very good archers who missed. But this was me! I had a Pope and Young bear twelve yards away and I missed.
I was sick to my stomach, wondering if I  had even touched him. Because if I had, that was the end of my hunt.

Meanwhile, the bear had jumped up, looking around, like what just happened - I heard something. He walked behind the spruce tree and again sat down.

Maybe, just maybe..

I slowly turned, pulled another arrow out of my quiver and knocked it. Just in case.

Then an amazing thing happened he stepped around the tree and began to chew my arrow. EVER so slowly, he turned broadside, standing in virtually the same spot that my first bear did two years ago.

Once again I picked my spot, drew the arrow and released. If I shoot a hundred more animals, I will never do it any better. My arrow hit right behind the shoulder, perfectly. And zipped completely through. The bear jumped, like a heart shot deer will sometimes do and walked quickly away. About fifteen  or twenty seconds later I heard the deathmoan.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 01:04:00 AM »
I walked back to the road and waited for Ryan.  Not because I was afraid to track the bear, but because I wanted Ryan there when we found it, to share in my joy.

We found him about exactly where I thought we would, based on the deathmoan.

We walked up to him and Ryan said "Gary, that is a big bear". "A Pope and Young bear any day of the week."  "Lets take some photos and go back and get some help because there is no way you and I are going to move that bear."

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 01:25:00 AM »
I'll never forget this day. ( restored my best picture ever due to Photobuckets shenanigans).

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 01:34:00 AM »
WoW!!!!
Wonderfull trophy bear
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 02:10:00 AM »
So, when I talked with Ryan analyzing what went wrong with my first shot, I came to the conclusion that the part about the broad head touching the riser was the culprit. I remember the arrow touching and slightly moving to the left because of the shape of tbe broadhead. I had to reposition the arrow before I shot, ruining my concentration on what I wanted to hit.

I originally did that to have an exact draw length each time. Not worth it.

Offline Cherry Tree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 06:01:00 AM »
Great story! Congrats!

Offline Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 06:13:00 AM »
Fine brute of a bear, enjoyed your story and congrats- a great story.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 06:33:00 AM »
Very nice.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 07:15:00 AM »
Congratulations, Gary. That is a fine looking bear!

Offline Buckeeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 07:29:00 AM »
Way to go!!! Very happy for you.

Ryans is a special place for sure...

Offline twowolvesarchery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
Congrats. Great bear and story thank you for sharing.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 08:28:00 AM »
Holy Moly! That's a dandy. Can't wait till next June!

Offline chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »
Beautiful bear Gary!  Congratulations!  Very good write up too, I really enjoyed your account of the entire hunt.  

Interesting on your first shot;  I've been working on my form this spring, and had my broad heads doing the same thing on occasion.  Snag is actually making me some arrows now, one inch longer.  That was just a little too distracting.  

Again, great job!  Take Care, Chase
Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »
Congrats->>->

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »
Congrats Gary. What a beautiful bear. Think I'd have to call that the "Redemption" bear. Glad it all worked out.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
Excellent narrative and thanks for posting the "extra" pictures!  I'll look at all the pictures anyone wants to post!    :)   The second one really shows the size of the body well.

Congratulations on a fine bear.    :thumbsup:

Mike
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
Congrats Gary.  That is awesome.  What a gift.

Dan  in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »
Great Stuff congrats
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©