3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Manitoba Stickflingers 2017 bearhunt photo restored  (Read 9372 times)

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Manitoba Stickflingers 2017 bearhunt photo restored
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »
Very nice!

Online goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
Right on! I'm ready to head back to canada..... it's been a year and these bear hunting threads are killing me!
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »
I was lucky enough to join this great group in Birch River so I will happily add a few photos. This was my first bear hunt. I have seen a few briefly on other hunts but the first evening sit on Sunday was amazing. Brad, Bill Kissner, and I went out with our guide Mike. If I remember correctly Mike covered 35 miles on his quad dropping the three of us off at our spots and then had to do another 35 to come and get us.

My set up was great at 10 yards and the 4 bear I saw were beautiful. The action started about an hour after I arrived and continued all night till I left to meet up with mike. To have them directly under my stand and so close all night was an experience hard to describe. Tense at the beginning but as I relaxed I really started enjoying it more. I would mentally try stuffing each one in the 30 gallon barrel, the beginners standard size test described by Ryan.

Mike and I met up after shooting time expired and rode to Bill Then headed towards Brad. The Quad ride was fun to say the least. Always watching wet areas along the trail Mike would point out moose tracks, bear tracks of different size often new as we recently rode through the area. Through streams of spawning fish, past bogs and swamps filled with beaver. Some spots were beside back country remote lakes. At one point we had been going at a good pace along a flat section for some time and I tucked out of the wind behind Mike. I heard him say something and looked around him to see a young bull moose running 10 yards from our machine... He was huge! It was the first moose I had seen. It was well after dark when we met up with Brad and to say things took an exciting turn would be an understatement! Brad had a bear down! What a perfect first night!
I was excited for the first Bear to hit the ground and Brad delivered. There was much to see and learn after a successful harvest.

Nights were often late as hunters were gathered from the bush and chauffeured home from all directions but it was exciting. Sometimes there were partial texts and information relayed between groups sometimes you just had to wait and see how others did... the beautiful excitement of a full hunting camp in progress.
I believe 130am was the bed time day one... so much to process, so many moments burned into my mind already.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
Brad had made a great shot! Bear camp would have been great already but with a bear down on day one it was even better. Bear were primarily hunted in the evenings and nights went late with bears harvested that lead into casual mornings at camp with a great crew of people. I have to say I really enjoyed the down time in our camp. I should have taken more photos of the great meals, shooting all the other bows in camp, talking gear and the simple pleasure of catching up with wondering conversations from camp chairs with coffee in the breezy shade with folks I long to spend more time with.

After checking last minute wind directions Ryan & Mike had a nice way of reeling us back in by telling us we would head out in an hour for the evening hunt... the chit chat would stop as we scattered toward the gear.

My Day 2 evening hunt was to be a stand called "Determination". As Mike told me he paused with a smile that spread to me... but what does that mean?

Mike laughed a little as he went on to give me a little history of tonight's location. As I remember it Determination is a hogs back, steep and significant drop offs on two sides that seems to make a travel corridor for many animals not just the bears but the bears are there. So many in fact that's in years past there was to many and a pressure relief bait was located close by to remove some of the bear activity at determination. Wow... sounded good to me.

Mike seemed excited to add the wind looked correct for a great spot the following night. I had to chuckle " are you telling me not to shoot one tonight?" "O you know... If you are happy we are happy. But you will like tomorrows spot!"
Determination was named by Ryan's mother once she saw the amazing effort it took to get a trail cut and bait established in the area. The quad trail into Determination is an impressive effort to navigate. Wet during a drier year and deeply rutted. Mike and I left my machine out on hard ground and he brought me in. pointed out the stand down wind of the bait and left me with a big smile...
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »
:campfire:     :coffee:

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »
4pm I was settled into my stand and looking around. The bait was no more than 10 yards for sure. The cover around the opening at the bait was tight, couldn't see much or far. The ladder stand was not to high and there were heavy trails coming in from all directions. Seemed like a great place to wait...

5:50pm the first bears came in on an arcing path silent as could be directly under my stand then out to the bait. It had taken almost two hours to see a bear but now I would not be with out a bear in sight for the next 5 hours... and yes that is well after dark   :)  

These were the first cubs I saw, they were really a treat to spend time with.

The bears were all a little different with their oun ranking in the group and their own personality. Sometimes it was confusing who was who but often you could recognise one bear from another. That was interesting to me. By 9:00pm I had seen eight recognisably different bears. It seemed the least doninate bears come early to get some food but as the night progresses the animals get more interesting and agressive or dominite.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »

A little after 9:00 a good sized bear came in and he was really agressive with all the others who were in the area. I probably would have shot him but he was rubbed really thin over his entire butt and much of his back. So I watched the activity.

Bears would circle the bait waiting for a chance to slip in to feed even only for a moment. They were often walking directly under me. Sometimes they were to close and the agressive bear at the bait would run them off. This was a sight to behold he would bristle his hair up often shake and fluff himself then run and smash over small trees and vegitation sometimes making combinations of noises on the way... it was intimidating even to me in my stand.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
I can remember thinking this certainly must be the peak of the night but no then this must be... but then no and in retrospect the night only built and grew in intensity as more time passed and more bears reviled themselves under me or in front of my little opening...

There were cubs up trees for most the night, the mother would wonder off the bait and walk out of sight. The cubs would sleep and play in the tree tops without a care.

The aggressive rubbed bear kept running off others like it was his job for the night!

This guy came to close and was chased up a tree then thought well I'll get down after 5 minutes... Big mistake, The aggressive bear ran him back up the same tree but this time followed him all the way to the top and when they ran out of tree it got real noisy... fearful noises and those of aggression filled the woods. I thought they would both fall to their death, how could that top hold them?? But it did and the larger bear came back to feed the other stayed at the now very top for a very loooong time! lol

The tension level was on the rise. I was fine but almost every bear that walked under me looked up at me. I stayed still but I think for sure the vast majority knew I was there and didn't care. That is an odd feeling to a whitetail hunter.

I really tried to stay focused. It was so easy to catch myself watching the amazing show around me. When I could I Practiced standing and drawing when a bear was at a good shot angle. I told myself to mind the shoulder as Ryan warned, constantly picked a spot on the bears I saw concentrating on making the correct exit hole and therefor the right entrance from a stand as I mostly hunt on the ground.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »
It might sound odd... It would sound odd to me before I was there but I developed a cautious comfort level after being so close to the bears for so long.

One young bear I saw several times as he did circles around the bait looking for a way in as that aggressive bear feed. He would come under my stand and turn to look up at me. Once coming up on his hind feet with front paws on my tree to get a better look toward me. Later on another pass he looked up staring for a moment then came over to the base of my ladder stand and slowly got up on his hind feet, front paws on either side of the ladder just like I did at 4:00pm then gave it a little wobble shake... I was moving... Aweee... then back down to the ground. Now I recognize it was gently by bear standards but what the... He acted like he wanted a reaction or a movement. There were things happening inside me hard to describe but I stayed still on the outside. He was curious and that was fine but please don't put that back leg on my ladder lol

He stayed for a while then faded off through the thick green foliage wondering around the bait out of my sight. The rubbed bear was picking out the M&Ms from the nuts and granola He didn't even act hungry any more... seemed more like something to do as he took long pauses looking around for someone else to run up a tree. Had to wonder what his record treed bear count was for an evening?!

On his next pass under my stand he again came up on his hind legs and pushed on the support brace from my ladder to the tree while looking up then put both his paws on a small, tall leafy tree that ran up beside my stand. He shook it kinda hard and looked up at me, shook it some more and I smiled... he was something else.

Ryan & Mike said the bears eat and tear up everything... all the pull up ropes, seat cushions, 4-wheeler seats they pass, don't leave anything there it will be gone by morning. I thought ok... what would this guy do if I put the pull up rope on his head? He wants a reaction I'll give him one. As I reached for the rope tied to the top of my ladder stand I stopped and thought to get my cell phone to video it... this could be interesting.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
I had been holding my bow for most of the night with my limited view I thought it was wise. I hung my bow on the side of the tree on a hook with an arrow on the rest so I could have both hands to video and sneak the rope to the bear. The bear below didn't see me hang my bow or get in position with the rope because he was looking at the aggressive bear at the bait.

I started the video and slowly reached for the rope. I didn't want to spook him with a lot of movement but I slowly maneuvered the end of my pull up rope into his face. I'm laughing inside now because he shuttered a little as it touched him, it startled him just a little and I thought that was great... bears have feelings to it would seem ha

He looked up at me & opened his mouth at the rope, then looked back at me... he knew... didn't care. I tried to get the rope in his hear where it would tickle him... he shook his head when I did... looking back up at me I was all smiles, this was to much, he turned his head to get a different view of me opened him mouth took the rope and pulled it 12" to the side as I let it slip through my fingers. He sat like a big old black lab only half heartedly paying attention as he looked back to the bait.

I kept at it with the rope thinking this is the most fun I could have with my camo on... he just laid down under my tree & scratched his side. I was really concentrating on the little end of the rope trying to get it in his eyes and ears he didn't even seem to care. I was so focused on all this I didn't notice the bear below me change his mellow comfort to concern. As he stood and then turned his body language totally changed but I was clueless to this. It took the all to familiar sounds of a large bear aggressively smashing through brush and trees to get me to look left. We had attracted the attention of the bear on the bait and he charged the bear under the tree... the bear under the tree fled for safety.

Care to watch the video?
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
Right up your tree?
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2017, 02:41:00 PM »
Is that the video on the Zipper Facebook/Instagram?

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »
Yes & Yes... Still cant believe it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
It just happened so fast. I heard the bear charge... looked left to the noise... then literally looked back and saw this!

My arrow was gone off the bow. I didnt see the bear climbing... he was there. My first thought was to get my bow out of his way but as i tried to lift it it pushed into his arm, it wouldn't come off the hook.

As I held the tip of my bow I couldnt see his head and can remember leaning around to looking around the tree as he did the same...

I did not feel panic or overwhelming fear, the bear didnt make an agressive sound, didnt snap his jaws, didn't come to my side. I knew why he came up the tree and was happy to see him go back down. when he touched the ground the agressive bear ran him off and up another tree that didnt have a hunter in it.

I had a rush of emotion as I was alone once more in my stand. I felt my heard beating, took a few deep breaths and tried to refocus. I put another arrow on my bow and sat down for a moment. I was then I noticed there were 3 bears stranded up trees at the same time & I guess me too... 4 of us hiding in trees!

See the cub in the ladder stand below the larger bear in plain sight? Where was that aggressive bear now anyway? As he crossed under my stand and returned to the bait...

Regaining my composure I hade to laugh inside. Was this some sort of test from Mike and Ryan? Some sort of rite of passage to become Stickflinger family? There were or are bear in all the stands here, whats that about?

As the evening progressed between 9:00-10:00 I had the thought will this bear let me down and out? I'm suppose to pass the bait on the way out I could go another direction out but its bear paths all the way?
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »
By 10:00pm it was that last half hour that we all know so well on stand. Several new bears had shown up and passes through in the last hour, they were larger than most I spent the day with but not bigger or more dominate than the one at the bait. He was there alone rolling the barrel tipping it upside down end for end then when he had a pile of new material to work with he laid down beside the mound and spread it out with his front paw eating the bright colored M&Ms from the mix... amazing.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2017, 04:27:00 PM »
Bear can be quiet when they want to. Often the best indicator another bear is approaching is the bear you can see. The aggressive bear at the bait lifted his head and stared off into the thick leafy cover. I looked left too, couldn't see anything. I kept looking back to the bear and where he was looking until I saw a dark silent figure on an arcing path that yet again led below my tree. Holding my bow I slowly stood and turned as the bear progressed toward me. As he came below me it reached down and snapping my previously dropped arrow without stopping or breaking stride and continued passed me. Jet silky black and seemed so wide, I thought I would shoot this bear if I get good angle.

I thought I was going to see the battle of the night but the aggressive bear didn't say a thing as the new bear entered the clearing and approached the food without stopping. Walking directly away from me the bear slowly but steadily went into three feet from the other bear with only the barrel between them and I thought wow no fight.

The new bear starting to turn slowly to my left 7 or 8 yards away and I thought here it comes, before a fight erupts, before he lays down or turns again, while he is moving so slow near the other bear...

I slowly extended my Zipper long bow away from resting on my chest to an extended arm position, the bear continued silently to rotate more broadside, I reminded myself...middle and middle then slightly forward, high enough to exit well... there was a spot I stared at as the pressure on the string increased to my face and the string slipped away. I saw the light colored shafting disappear perfectly placed against the black hair... the bear broke the tense silence- snapped and growled loudly then twisting fast and hard back towards me, The arrow was imbedded motionless in the side of the blue plastic barrel at a direct angle toward me.

The bear had moved towards me cutting the already short distance nearly in half but was partially obscured by the thick green leaves and small branches. I thought I could see enough as I quickly pulled another arrow out of my quiver picked an area and drew back loosing another arrow that hit hard. The bear moved off to my left 30 yards or so as I strained to hear movement.

No moan, I was like really???
Then coughing and more coughing then silence followed by that rubbed up aggressive bear back working the bait. I checked the time it was 22:10pm... well incase my shots were not what they seemed I thought it best to sit here and wait so as not to spook off the bear if not expired. I could get reception at this spot this day by standing on my seat and holding my phone at arm length up. So I sent Ryan a message "Bear down!" after several minutes with my arm up I saw it go through and I sat back down and tried to absorb the evening, so much to take in, my mind raced and replayed the shots. All the shooting in the yard, all the wondering and visualization I could imagine couldn't come close to scratching the surface of this days emotional hunt.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »
I was still sitting motionless in a stand as darkness came to the woods listening to bear claws on a plastic barrel that had my bloody arrow sticking out of it. I rechecked the clock, 45" approximately since I shot, it was nearly 11:00. The cub in the other stand had been collected earlier by mom, I remember being thankful for that. I could still see that other bear in the tree near the other stand and of course the rubbed aggressive one at the bait.

I figured I would just put my bright light on him and he would scramble for the timber... nope he looked up then back down, didn't budge. I gathered my things being deliberate and making some reasonable noise, nothing. So I started slowly down the ladder ready to run back up it if he moved toward me at all. He stayed there as my first foot touched the ground then the other. as I moved a yard or two through bush he drifted back just a little. With my light on I moved more and he backed 5 yards to the edge of the bait clearing... I thought for a moment then slowly walked to the blue barrel and pulled out my arrow out of it. There was bright blood covering the ground but I looked back to the bear and kept backing up. As I backed slowly toward the stand he came slowly to the bait and laid back down as I slipped out in another direction to the slick quad trail that had delivered me to the stand. As I kept looking all around me for eyes walking out I was relieved to be headed for the 4wheeler and the meeting point with Mike.

After driving me into the stand and driving back out through the mud Mike had essentially erased all the tracks there previously and I was impressed at the number of new bear tracks crossing the path. This place was really something, hard to describe.

I made it to the quad and attached my gear to the front. The misquotes where out in full force so having the time I took a nice slow cool ride to the meet spot. I literally backed up and turned off my machine and could hear Mike coming... It felt good to have company on the way   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »
Mike pulled up and I asked him if everyone was out of the woods he said yup, I was the last. So I actually took my time telling him my story there on the logging road in the night we played the video of the bear coming up the tree. I told him I shot a bear, he asked if it looked good and about the shot. There in the dark under the stars with a bloody arrow and a longbow while Mike listened patiently was just one of those moments I've shared with my brothers and close friends. It cant be created or manufactured at will its born of passion and emotion meeting with opportunity  and chance...  
Mike said we would have to go back to camp and get a trailer... then Ryan pulled up with a trailer behind a quad, my text reached him so back in we all went.

At the bait we could hear bear in the not so far distance walking but never saw one. The trail was easy to pick up. Where the 2nd arrow had hit the bear 3/4 of the shafting and broadhead was there on the ground. Heavy blood for 35 yards then a dead bear. I was very thankful!

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »
Back at camp at 1:00 in the morning Mike and Ryan skinned and pulled the meat off my bear and everything went into the freezer. I was surprised the bear was a sow, she was so big. I'm certainly not an expert but I just didn't think she was  given her size and with no cub in tow. Her hide was 6'3" X 6'3" Ryan said it looked square as it layed in the grass.

I wish I had taken pictures of the arrow wounds the entrance holes were 2.5" apart and exits low in the chest 5" apart. Both went in and out through the lungs on the animal. Ryan said the death moan is 50/50 coughing is just the same, that I didn't know.

Sleep felt welcomed and especially great that night    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©